Gendered-ness of the Soul

Jul 2018
Tarshish, bound for Nineveh
This is an interesting question. Once I have left this world, I promise to let all of you know. Should I be unable to do so, then I will wait to tell you until you join me, if you still need to know. ;)

On a purely speculative note, I would suggest some aspect of our gender will remain with us, since we are told in the writings that we retain our personalities and self-identity. Since it is certainly true that the feminine and the masculine, play roles in our personalities, I take this as a clue that we must in some sense remain masculine or feminine. Also since our wives or our husbands, whom we are told we can be with forever if it is a pure and spiritual marriage bond, will be spiritually recognizable to us as our husbands and wives, it seems to me that they will still have certain characteristics that we would attribute to gender in this world. That being said, it is also clear that the soul doesn't procreate and has no need for sexual reproduction and so I don't imagine there will be sex, as we understand it, in the next world. Perhaps there will, however, be some other spiritual equivalent to sexual intimacy where two souls express deep love and take pleasure in it, but perhaps in a transcendent form that is neither physical nor sexual.

Cheers

Reactions: Trailblazer
Aug 2014
Blue Planet
I do not know about the genderlessness of the soul in the afterlife. But, I sure remember that story by Baha'u'llah in which He has a dream of one of His old friends who had died a few years before the dream. Baha'u'llah dreams of him as a "robust man" and He even mentions it to him.
in this world, gender, is recognized by different physical aspects. But maybe in the next world, it is still recognized through spiritual qualities , or through the memory we carry with ourselves to the next world.

Jun 2014
Wisconsin
I am not aware of anything from 'Abdu'l-Baha on this subject, but there is a letter from the UHJ and one from Shoghi Effendi that touch on this:

"Regarding the first, Bahá’ís across the globe, in the most unassuming settings, are striving to establish a pattern of activity and the corresponding administrative structures that embody the principle of the oneness of humankind and the convictions underpinning it, only a few of which are mentioned here as a means of illustration: that the rational soul has no gender, race, ethnicity or class" (UHJ March 2, 2013)

There is no teaching in the Bahá’í Faith that 'soul mates' exist. What is meant is that marriage should lead to a profound friendship of spirit, which will endure in the next world, where there is no sex" (Letter on Behalf of the Guardian, December 4, 1954)

Reactions: tonyfish58
Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
I am not aware of anything from 'Abdu'l-Baha on this subject, but there is a letter from the UHJ and one from Shoghi Effendi that touch on this:

"Regarding the first, Bahá’ís across the globe, in the most unassuming settings, are striving to establish a pattern of activity and the corresponding administrative structures that embody the principle of the oneness of humankind and the convictions underpinning it, only a few of which are mentioned here as a means of illustration: that the rational soul has no gender, race, ethnicity or class" (UHJ March 2, 2013)

There is no teaching in the Bahá’í Faith that 'soul mates' exist. What is meant is that marriage should lead to a profound friendship of spirit, which will endure in the next world, where there is no sex" (Letter on Behalf of the Guardian, December 4, 1954)
From reading NDE experiences and of some peoples pure dreams, it could be that our soul takes on a form of light? Some burn brighter than others?

Who can know! What we do know is that to those Baha'u'llah granted that vision to, they could no longer stay in this world.

Regards Tony