Hello from an American in Senegal

Mar 2019
Senegal
Allahu abha,
Ive been in Senegal for ~1.5 years doing agroforestry and other agriculture work as a US Peace Corps Volunteer. I live in a rural village of ~150 people. Like most of Senegal/The Gambia, my area is mostly Muslim. My town is 100% other than myself.

I am not officially a Baha'i and have never met one, except a friends family from childhood who I remember were Baha'i. As a child then all I remember was that their house had a picture with the wheel of different religious symbols.

I am Jewish culturally from my mother, and my father was raised Christian. Neither parent is religious and so I was not raised in any religion.

Since college when I studied anthropology and sociology I've read Baha'u'llah's writings and studied the faith a bit. I feel a strong connection to it and now living in a religious society (Islam) I have come to see the beauty of being part of a united religious group.

In April I intend to return to The Gambia briefly, and while I am there I'd like to visit the National Baha'i Center in Serrekunda.

I read Baha'i scripture every night and have begun praying. How would I officially join and what does that then entail?

Thanks,
Greetings from Senegal and 'peace only' as we say here

Jul 2017
Kettering, Ohio USA
Welcome to Baha'i Forums! I don't know how to contact Baha'is in Senegal but all you have to do is sign a card that says you believe in Baha'u'llah and you will obey Baha'i institutions.

Mar 2019
Senegal
Thanks! I can't find any locations of Baha'i in Senegal despite Wikipedia citing some things claiming there at least were some here in the mid 00s...

Gambia on the other hand is very close to where I live, and they do have an address for a National Baha'i Center in Serrekunda and a nice website. I'll be visiting soon, maybe they have a card I can sign.

Funny that the first Baha'is I'll ever meet will be Gambian ones! Very in line with the teachings of human unity.

Sep 2010
Normanton Far North Queensland
Thanks! I can't find any locations of Baha'i in Senegal despite Wikipedia citing some things claiming there at least were some here in the mid 00s...

Gambia on the other hand is very close to where I live, and they do have an address for a National Baha'i Center in Serrekunda and a nice website. I'll be visiting soon, maybe they have a card I can sign.

Funny that the first Baha'is I'll ever meet will be Gambian ones! Very in line with the teachings of human unity.
Welcome and Great to meet you. I hope you do find a community of Baha'i.

Look forward to a chat or two.

Regards Tony

Sep 2012
Panama
...How would I officially join and what does that then entail?...
interesting that nobody here's answered what used to be considered the most important question. iirc, if you state that you
  • --recognize Baha'ullah as God's messenger for today,
  • --accept the central figures --the Bab, Abdul Baha, the Guardian, as well as the Universal House
  • --and that you're aware that there are laws that you're willing to learn about and follow,
then you're enrolled as a Baha'i and can participate in administration (donate, vote, etc.).

My wife & I live in a small rural Panama town, and fwiw we're between Peace Corp volunteers atm but they've been well loved. There are four regular Baha'i children's classes all taught by young people who've not yet enrolled offically w/ the Baha'i national office. One's even planning what's called a Baha'i year of service --kind of like the Peace Corp. but for Baha'is.

Maybe we can say that enrolling's like getting married. You can fall in love w/o being married but if you're serious and want to really accomplish something then you make it official.

Aug 2018
New Zealand
Allahu abha,
Ive been in Senegal for ~1.5 years doing agroforestry and other agriculture work as a US Peace Corps Volunteer. I live in a rural village of ~150 people. Like most of Senegal/The Gambia, my area is mostly Muslim. My town is 100% other than myself.

I am not officially a Baha'i and have never met one, except a friends family from childhood who I remember were Baha'i. As a child then all I remember was that their house had a picture with the wheel of different religious symbols.

I am Jewish culturally from my mother, and my father was raised Christian. Neither parent is religious and so I was not raised in any religion.

Since college when I studied anthropology and sociology I've read Baha'u'llah's writings and studied the faith a bit. I feel a strong connection to it and now living in a religious society (Islam) I have come to see the beauty of being part of a united religious group.

In April I intend to return to The Gambia briefly, and while I am there I'd like to visit the National Baha'i Center in Serrekunda.

I read Baha'i scripture every night and have begun praying. How would I officially join and what does that then entail?

Thanks,
Greetings from Senegal and 'peace only' as we say here
Greetings and Allah'u'abha @PherJVv and welcome to Baha'i Forum.

What an experience living in Africa! Where are you from originally?

Best Wishes
Adrian

Mar 2019
Senegal
Thanks! It sure is an experience. It's another world over here, and yet, undoubtedly the same modern world and despite great surface level differences culturally, people are people everywhere. The truth of humankind's unity is apparent anywhere you go.

I am from Wisconsin originally, then upstate NY briefly as a child, and then I mostly grew up in Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire.

Jun 2014
Wisconsin
Thanks! It sure is an experience. It's another world over here, and yet, undoubtedly the same modern world and despite great surface level differences culturally, people are people everywhere. The truth of humankind's unity is apparent anywhere you go.

I am from Wisconsin originally, then upstate NY briefly as a child, and then I mostly grew up in Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire.
Hello fellow Wisconsinite.

Similiar Baha'i Discussions Forum Date
New Users
New Users
New Users
New Users