Help with a Project

Jun 2014
Wisconsin
I have found a general synopses of a certain portion of 'Abdu'l-Baha's writings that seem relevant to my studies.

This is referenced as Makatib 1:85-99, which I think means what I am looking for is the book Makatib Hadrat `Abdu'l-Baha, volume 1, pages 85-99. The biggest problem for me being that this book is not in English. As it is relevant to my other studies, I want to start figuring out how to get a translation of these pages.

So my first question in this is: Does anyone know how I could go about obtaining a copy the text of these pages?? Or the entire book itself?? Additionally it would be helpful to know what language these pages are written in. I realize it is probably a long shot but I'm casting a wide net through the Baha'i circles I'm in to see if anyone knows how I could get my hands on this book.

After that comes the complicated task of finding someone willing and able to translate it, :p but one step at a time.

Mar 2015
Bend area, Oregon
Walrus:

As I starting point, I would suggest you go the thread on this Forum titled, "‘Abdu’l-Bahá Speaks" initiated by Sen McGlinn on September 24, 2018 and private message him to see what counsel he might provide.

-LR

Jun 2014
Wisconsin
Walrus:

As I starting point, I would suggest you go the thread on this Forum titled, "‘Abdu’l-Bahá Speaks" initiated by Sen McGlinn on September 24, 2018 and private message him to see what counsel he might provide.

-LR
Is that the book I am looking for?? Sen names the book there "Khetabaat", and I had thought Makatib Hadrat `Abdu'l-Baha was supposed to be a collection of his letters, not his speaking engagements??

Mar 2015
Bend area, Oregon
Walrus:
No it is not the book you are looking for. Though Sen may be able to help you locate what you are looking for was what I intended to communicate. He also translates from the Arabic and Persian, not that I am suggesting that he will do that for you. The Baha'i World Center Research Department would be another source, but their responses usually take months.
-LR

Aug 2010
New Zealand mainly
I have found a general synopses of a certain portion of 'Abdu'l-Baha's writings that seem relevant to my studies.

This is referenced as Makatib 1:85-99, ..."
There is an early translation of this discourse on the stages of the soul, unpublished as far as I know, possibly by Ali Kuli Khan? It begins "as to the stages of the soul, its conditions and degrees, the cause of its abasement and exaltation, and its origin..."
You can find it online at
Абдул-Баха : Стадии развития души [бахаи : russian : bahairesearch.com]

Jun 2014
Wisconsin
There is an early translation of this discourse on the stages of the soul, unpublished as far as I know, possibly by Ali Kuli Khan? It begins "as to the stages of the soul, its conditions and degrees, the cause of its abasement and exaltation, and its origin..."
You can find it online at
Абдул-Баха : Стадии развития души [бахаи : russian : bahairesearch.com]
Thank you so much!!

Edit: And this is much of what I was hoping it was!! This is a discourse on Aristotlean soul model as well as a discourse on the seven stages of the soul in Sufi tradition (even using the same names, as far as I can tell), and then with three more mysterious stages past those seven from the Sufis!!

Last edited:
Jun 2014
Wisconsin
Thanks again!!

Part of this text served as a missing piece of the puzzle to me, specifically the verse:

"When the soul rises from this lowly and bestial condition and ascends to a more dignified and nearer station and degree and is assisted by divine confirmation and receives signs of inspiration and is inspired by the meaning of the Book, as it is said, 'Read thy book; it is sufficient unto thee this day' (17:15); when the reality of day and night becomes apparent to it, and it is invited to the shores of the ocean of knowledge, nourished by divine food from the heavenly paradise, fed from the fruits of the tree of bounty, given to drink from the streams of generosity, sustained by eternal delicacies, tastes the sweetness of choice morsels, it befittingly realizes its elevation and degradation, its rise and fall, judges its affairs with insight, resolves its own difficulties, inclines itself away from the ephemeral to the eternal, withdraws its sight from all created things, sets itself towards the Presence of the Almighty, receives calls from the Concourse on High, attends to that which causes its advancement until it attains to the summit of assurance and the throne of gratitude, becoming a focal center of inspiration among men and gains from its efforts those fruits which will lead it to the goal of its desire - it thus is referred to as the inspired soul which distinguishes its evil doings from its noble deeds." (edited for minor spelling errors)

This helped me to greater understanding of the symbolism of bounty and plenty found in the symbolism common in depictions of heaven. Here the fruits of the Tree of Bounty and the rivers of heaven are all symbolic of bountiful knowledge!!

I cannot thank you enough!! The help this has been to my study of symbolism has been enormous!!

Sep 2010
Normanton Far North Queensland
Thanks again!!

Part of this text served as a missing piece of the puzzle to me, specifically the verse:

"When the soul rises from this lowly and bestial condition and ascends to a more dignified and nearer station and degree and is assisted by divine confirmation and receives signs of inspiration and is inspired by the meaning of the Book, as it is said, 'Read thy book; it is sufficient unto thee this day' (17:15); when the reality of day and night becomes apparent to it, and it is invited to the shores of the ocean of knowledge, nourished by divine food from the heavenly paradise, fed from the fruits of the tree of bounty, given to drink from the streams of generosity, sustained by eternal delicacies, tastes the sweetness of choice morsels, it befittingly realizes its elevation and degradation, its rise and fall, judges its affairs with insight, resolves its own difficulties, inclines itself away from the ephemeral to the eternal, withdraws its sight from all created things, sets itself towards the Presence of the Almighty, receives calls from the Concourse on High, attends to that which causes its advancement until it attains to the summit of assurance and the throne of gratitude, becoming a focal center of inspiration among men and gains from its efforts those fruits which will lead it to the goal of its desire - it thus is referred to as the inspired soul which distinguishes its evil doings from its noble deeds." (edited for minor spelling errors)

This helped me to greater understanding of the symbolism of bounty and plenty found in the symbolism common in depictions of heaven. Here the fruits of the Tree of Bounty and the rivers of heaven are all symbolic of bountiful knowledge!!

I cannot thank you enough!! The help this has been to my study of symbolism has been enormous!!
That is indeed a wonderful passage. Full of amazing thoughts. It is very helpful in our journey.

Regards Tony