Helping the Cause of God

Aug 2014
Blue Planet
We know that in Bahai faith, our biggest duty is to spread the Word of God among as many people as we can; to make them familiar with the shining words which has the potential to change our personal/social lives.
Yet, living in a country like mine, you cannot freely speak about religion, SPECIALLY if it is Baha'i. such a chance of finding a person to whom you can speak happens every once in a few years maybe.
So, I was thinking about the ways I can be of some good to the humanity. I was thinking about my abilities and gifts, and there is really not much! :p
I teach English, but I do not like teaching English THAT much. I write prose and I take pictures both of which I love.
So, my question is, do you think writing a beautiful piece of prose that brings smile to the lips, or posting a peaceful picture that calms down the hearts, can be one way of helping the word of God? (since one of our teachings is to try to help the world peace)
Is playing a beautiful music by a musician a form of helping the world? is even smiling to people a form of it?

Jun 2014
Wisconsin
Oh hey, this site is back.

We know that in Bahai faith, our biggest duty is to spread the Word of God among as many people as we can; to make them familiar with the shining words which has the potential to change our personal/social lives.
Yet, living in a country like mine, you cannot freely speak about religion, SPECIALLY if it is Baha'i. such a chance of finding a person to whom you can speak happens every once in a few years maybe.
Opportunities are perhaps limited in your country, though aren't your posts on the internet doing much of the same?? Physically you may be restricted, but virtually you've done much that I've seen.

So, I was thinking about the ways I can be of some good to the humanity. I was thinking about my abilities and gifts, and there is really not much! :p
I teach English, but I do not like teaching English THAT much. I write prose and I take pictures both of which I love.
So, my question is, do you think writing a beautiful piece of prose that brings smile to the lips, or posting a peaceful picture that calms down the hearts, can be one way of helping the word of God? (since one of our teachings is to try to help the world peace)
Is playing a beautiful music by a musician a form of helping the world? is even smiling to people a form of it?
Yes, these are great ways to help the world. 'Abdu'l-Baha says this about art: "I rejoice to hear that thou takest pains with thine art, for in this wonderful new age, art is worship. The more thou strivest to perfect it, the closer wilt thou come to God. What bestowal could be greater than this, that one’s art should be even as the act of worshipping the Lord? That is to say, when thy fingers grasp the paint brush, it is as if thou wert at prayer in the Temple." (tablet to an individual Baha’i)

Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
I do not know where you live but it is also difficult to talk about the Baha'i Faith in the United States because most people are Christians if they believe in God at all. I have found my calling on online religious forums for the last seven years. There are people on the forums from all over the world. I am not that great at interacting with people in person because I do not enjoy socializing, it is stressful for me, but I like socializing online and I meet all kinds of people I would otherwise never know. I am also a good writer and I have amassed all kinds of Word documents with Baha'i Wtitings and posts I have written over the years that I can repost to different people.

So I feel like at least I am proclaiming that Baha'u'llah has come and telling people who He was, and I I talk to people about the Faith if people are interested in hearing more. That is really all I can do right now and that is how I spend all my free time. I have learned so much in the last seven years I never would have known about the Faith because I am always looking things up to post and I would have never taken the time to do that just for myself.
You sound very creative. You could probably post prose or photos online that would be very inspiring. :):cool:
Often we cannot reach people on an intellectual level because they are closed-minded but they might be moved on an emotional level.
Whatever you do for the Cause you will be assisted, as Baha'u'llah wrote:

“By the righteousness of God! Whoso openeth his lips in this Day and maketh mention of the name of his Lord, the hosts of Divine inspiration shall descend upon him from the heaven of My name, the All-Knowing, the All-Wise. On him shall also descend the Concourse on high, each bearing aloft a chalice of pure light. Thus hath it been foreordained in the realm of God’s Revelation, by the behest of Him Who is the All-Glorious, the Most Powerful.”

Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 280

Reactions: maryamr
Sep 2011
Russia
maryamr,

There is a Russian Baha’i website, which is in constant need of good pictures: http://bahaiarc.org It is in top-10 in Google for query ‘бахаи’ (Russian word for “Baha’i”). If it is not to spread the Word of God among as many people as possible, than what is?

As for your another inclination, namely, writing, maybe you could use it for reaching out to Russian Baha’is who live outside Russia and showing them that they too may spread the Word online helping with the website.

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
Maryamr you bring me much joy :)

I see every thought, every prayer, every action we take for the Love of God, does exactly what your heart wishes to acheive.

This Story Maryamr is one that will fire all hearts;

A young Bahá 'i lady pioneered to Bolivia in the 1930’s to open it to the Faith. Having no success in teaching anyone, she began to write to the Guardian expressing feelings of failure. With each passing month she wrote and he replied encouraging her to stay, to remain steadfast, to have faith and to pray. So obediently she continued on. Every day she went to the centre of a small town and in one of the regions found a spot by a fountain and tearfully prayed for the progress of the Faith. After two years the beloved Guardian consented to her wish to return home. The story of this young lady was lost and unknown to the friends in Bolivia. Years later when they experienced entry by troops they organised regional teaching conferences. At the end of one of them they decided to take a group photograph. They found a sunny spot big enough for 1,200 friends to gather. Mr Vojdani took a copy of this photo everywhere to show to the friends on his travels.

Years later, friends from many countries had gathered in Paris for a huge anniversary celebration and Mr Vojdani attended as part of a delegation from the Americas. In the crowd a very old lady using two walking sticks hobbled over to them and asked if there was anyone from Bolivia. He said yes. She asked if there were many Bahá 's there, again he said yes, then she asked if he had any photographs from Bolivia. He showed her the one of the teaching conference group photo. She took it and looked at it for a few moments and then fainted. Later in hospital, when she came round, the shocked friends asked her what had happened. In a frail voice she told her story that she had been sent to Bolivia by the Guardian and every day for two years she had sat down in the exact spot where the photograph had been taken to pray and beseech Bahá’u’lláh to open the doors of His Faith to the people of Bolivia. Seeing the photograph she realised then, years later, that her prayers had been answered. Three days later she died.
(Pioneer Desk Mauritius (blog))

Regards Tony

Aug 2014
Blue Planet
such wonderful answers Tony, Anton and Trailblaizer. and dear Trailblazer, I live where talking about the Baha'i faith can get you killed :D

But all your answers were inspiring to me. I had been taking part in websites and forums and groups to spread the Word, and it never came to me that it was a help :D I am happy you confirm it.

Reactions: tonyfish58
Sep 2010
such wonderful answers Tony, Anton and Trailblaizer. and dear Trailblazer, I live where talking about the Baha'i faith can get you killed :D

But all your answers were inspiring to me. I had been taking part in websites and forums and groups to spread the Word, and it never came to me that it was a help :D I am happy you confirm it.
Take care Maryamr. Your prayers are said in the land of future pilgrimage. All your prayers will aid all the walls to fall.

God bless and Ya Baha'ul' abha.

Regards Tony

Sep 2010
thank you for your kindness Tony. you pray for us, too, please. :)
Always Maryamr. Be assured of our prayers. Next week the world is blessed with the 200th anniversary of the Birth of the Bab. And 202 for Baha'u'llah. Many prayers will be offered in great spirit.

Evenings of 28th and 29th of October respectively. I wish for you and all wonderful Holy days.

Regards Tony