Hidden Word #69 Arabic

Jul 2017
Kettering, Ohio USA
O ye Sons of Spirit!

Ye are My treasury, for in you I have treasured the pearls of My mysteries and the gems of My knowledge. Guard them from the strangers amidst My servants and from the ungodly amongst My people.

The Hidden Words, Part 1: From the Arabic, #69

I know in some way it means not speaking about things that a listener is not ready for yet. It's hard to do this unless one knows what the person is ready for. Apparently we need to know the person first, especially his beliefs. Online on a forum that would mean observing people responding on a forum for a while before responding.

Reactions: tonyfish58
Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
Yes there is many passages that show a great wisdom is needed to teach.

The best way is via our deeds and actions as they speak louder than words.

The Web of chat rooms is a ordeal by fire.

Regards Tony

Feb 2020
Florida
It is lovely to look upon one another as "trusts of God" and to regard other believers and oneself as a "treasury" for Allah. There are many, many whisperings to my heart from Bahá’u’lláh which I keep private from the believers, as many believers have not the same intimacy it appears to me from experience. By this, I mean that I once mentioned Bahá’u’lláh's guidance to me given to my heart as a kind of "speaking" or "talking" to another well stationed and beloved Baha'i, but this believer I was with was so put off he said to me, "never say that again!" And I have not ever since now. But I have learned also from experience that although I have questioned this communication to my "treasury" as to its validity that Bahaullah talks to my heart or whether or not I have merely imagined such, I also regard the Long Obligatory Prayer's last prostration as a shield in my life: Protect us, we beseech Thee, O my Lord, from the hosts of idle fancies and vain imaginations. And what is a host? These are not invisible forces but are people, and I suppose Jinn must be included. Hosts are sentient beings moving about in the world, and of course we all encounter such people from time to time who are occupied with their idle fancies and vain imaginings. It is from such persons that our prayer seeks protection from. (I've yet to encounter a Jinn entity so I have no testimony on that). So, perhaps if Bahá’u’lláh has not informed me of truths I have thought I learned from Him then I would need assume I myself have become a host for such idle imagining. Then by what measure can one say there be truth that Bahá’u’lláh converses privily with His beloved believers? In my inmost being such is the case in my life as a Bahá’í, and what a joy I have from this!! Praised be God! Praised be God! We are indeed treasuries of God, and when one becomes saturated well enough in the writings the lights within each of us can be so utterly attractive to all onlookers. Beauty takes on new meaning again and again. And what beauty is not also a treasure?

Jun 2014
Wisconsin
People have different needs depending on their level of spiritual development, and thus the manner of speaking to a person might change depending on where they are. There is no point in telling some people about, for example, the perfection of the world of Creation. If that person is one who is so wedded to their idea of the way things should be, they will react with outright hostility at an assertion that things are perfectly fine as is, even if it is their own Scriptures telling them this fact.

Reactions: Duane
Jul 2017
Kettering, Ohio USA
There are many, many whisperings to my heart from Bahá’u’lláh which I keep private from the believers, as many believers have not the same intimacy it appears to me from experience. By this, I mean that I once mentioned Bahá’u’lláh's guidance to me given to my heart as a kind of "speaking" or "talking" to another well stationed and beloved Baha'i, but this believer I was with was so put off he said to me, "never say that again!" And I have not ever since now. But I have learned also from experience that although I have questioned this communication to my "treasury" as to its validity that Bahaullah talks to my heart or whether or not I have merely imagined such, I also regard the Long Obligatory Prayer's last prostration as a shield in my life: Protect us, we beseech Thee, O my Lord, from the hosts of idle fancies and vain imaginations.
You can pray for God to protect us from the hosts of idle fancies and vain imaginations, but it is up to God to grant that. Also we need to do our part in this.
Actually we don't know that the guidance we think we receive is from Baha'u'llah. How do you know for sure that this Baha'i was wrong and you are right? Each has their own understanding, each is entitled to their own opinion. However, I don't think this Baha'i should have said "never say that again". He should have instead had a dialogue with you.

And what is a host? These are not invisible forces but are people, and I suppose Jinn must be included. Hosts are sentient beings moving about in the world, and of course we all encounter such people from time to time who are occupied with their idle fancies and vain imaginings. It is from such persons that our prayer seeks protection from. (I've yet to encounter a Jinn entity so I have no testimony on that). So, perhaps if Bahá’u’lláh has not informed me of truths I have thought I learned from Him then I would need assume I myself have become a host for such idle imagining. Then by what measure can one say there be truth that Bahá’u’lláh converses privily with His beloved believers? In my inmost being such is the case in my life as a Bahá’í, and what a joy I have from this!!
I don't think the hosts mentioned here are people, but that is just my opinion. According to the Guardian Jinn don't exist:

"Regarding your question as to the meaning of Jin or Genii referred to in the Qur’án, these are not beings or creatures that are actually living, but are symbolic references to the power of man of evil and may be likened to evil spirits. But the point to bear in mind is that these have no positive existence of any kind."
From a letter written on behalf of the Guardian to an individual believer, June 26, 1936: Bahá’í News, No. 105, p. 1, February 1937)

Helen Hornby, “Lights of Guidance”

Perhaps Baha'u'llah does converse privily with you, but that does not mean that those who disagree with you are hosts of idle fancies. Mankind is not divided between beloved believers and hosts of idle fancies, we are all to some extent beloved and also flawed.

Jul 2017
Kettering, Ohio USA
People have different needs depending on their level of spiritual development, and thus the manner of speaking to a person might change depending on where they are. There is no point in telling some people about, for example, the perfection of the world of Creation. If that person is one who is so wedded to their idea of the way things should be, they will react with outright hostility at an assertion that things are perfectly fine as is, even if it is their own Scriptures telling them this fact.
I think your interpretation is pretty good. This Hidden Word is hard to completely understand. We all try our best.

Aug 2010
New Zealand mainly
Ye are My treasury, for in you I have treasured the pearls of My mysteries and the gems of My knowledge. Guard them from the strangers amidst My servants and from the ungodly amongst My people.

I know in some way it means not speaking about things that a listener is not ready for yet....
Or perhaps it is saying, don't let strangers into the treasury, rather than don't let the treasures out!

There is a parallel in the Persian Hidden Words:

26. O MY FRIEND IN WORD!
Ponder awhile. Hast thou ever heard that friend and foe (aghyar / اغیار) should abide in one heart? Cast out then the stranger (aghyar), that the Friend may enter His home.

and in the following PHW :

27. O SON OF DUST!
All that is in heaven and earth I have ordained for thee, except the human heart, which I have made the habitation of My beauty and glory; yet thou didst give My home and dwelling to another than Me; and whenever the manifestation of My holiness sought His own abode, a stranger (aghyar) found He there,....

IN the Arabic hidden word in question:

Ye are My treasury, for in you I have treasured the pearls of My mysteries and the gems of My knowledge. Guard them from the strangers (aghyar) amidst My servants and from the ungodly amongst My people.

It seems that it is the treasuries/hearts that are to be guarded from the foes/strangers. The Arabic says :

فَاحْفَظُوها لِئَلاَّ يَطَّلِعَ عَلَيْهَا أَغْيارُ عِبادِي وَأَشْرارُ خَلْقِي

which I think means, more literally "guard them lest the strangers /foes among my servants (mankind) and the wicked among my creatures should come (suddenly) upon them [the treasuries].

This reading assumes that a shaddah (diacritical mark) in the text I copied is incorrect, and we are dealing rather with a 3rd person singular subjunctive of the first form of the verb.

Reactions: tonyfish58