How important is it to have a good attitude?

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
There is some truth to that but a person can submit to God's Will and not have a good attitude. I think it is dishonest for someone to pretend they have a good attitude when they don't and God will know the difference.

All people cannot be upbeat all the time, but the most important thing is what we do. In the 12 step programs I used to attend they said "feelings just are."
Nothing bothers me more than some people who come around at work with their positive attitude trying to cheer me up when I am struggling just to get through all my problems. I know they do not understand so I have to just grin and bear it. Those people where I work have no conception of how different my life is from theirs. It is not their fault.
Yes God knows our heart. We all struggle with many aspects of life. Some more than others.

To me a good attitude is the constant desire to work on all those issues and be as good as we can. To me a good attitude is being aware when we fail and asking God to assist with the change.

Good thing to remember dear friend, is that no matter how bad life becomes, there are others that have had it much worse.

Please note that I also know that these attempts at motivation are not always helpful. My wife suffers from Manic Depression, which is always with her. It would not matter how positive I am, it does not pierce the darkness at times.

But she is positive that God looks after her and somehow she will cope. She has managed to continue living this life, even when the very strong desire is not to be here.

Thus I see a good attitude is not necessarily connected with a comfortable and happy life. It may be in the time of the greatest suffering a person can face, with an attitude of may God's Will be done, is the most positive attitude.

Regards Tony

Reactions: Trailblazer
Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
Does good attitude mean to be a nice guy or to be honest and truthfully person? Or is a person who is honest and truthfully a nice guy?
I see good attitude would be the desire and actions to live those virtues.

If we fail, try again.

Regards Tony

Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
Yes God knows our heart. We all struggle with many aspects of life. Some more than others.

To me a good attitude is the constant desire to work on all those issues and be as good as we can. To me a good attitude is being aware when we fail and asking God to assist with the change.

Good thing to remember dear friend, is that no matter how bad life becomes, there are others that have had it much worse.

Please note that I also know that these attempts at motivation are not always helpful. My wife suffers from Manic Depression, which is always with her. It would not matter how positive I am, it does not pierce the darkness at times.

But she is positive that God looks after her and somehow she will cope. She has managed to continue living this life, even when the very strong desire is not to be here.

Thus I see a good attitude is not necessarily connected with a comfortable and happy life. It may be in the time of the greatest suffering a person can face, with an attitude of may God's Will be done, is the most positive attitude.

Regards Tony
I see good attitude would be the desire and actions to live the virtues, be nice, honest and truthful as you said to Seeker 9.

I have had endogenous depression my entire adult life, as both my parents were depressed as well as my only sister and brother. My depression was suppressed by addictions for a good 12 years of my early adult life and then I was in recovery for a long time. Now most of my depression is situational but I will always have a predilection towards depression because it is hereditary.

My husband, a Baha'i of 55 years, does not understand endogenous depression although he and I share in generalized anxiety.

many a night my husband and I have the conversation about the afterlife and how I don't want to be here or there. He of course looks forward to the afterlife, but he has more faith than I do. I fear it could be more of the same even though Baha'u'llah promised it would be joy and gladness.

As I look back on the last year, I don't know how I got through it. Most of this has to do with the material world, the houses we own, and repairs we have needed, tenants we have had, including a sex offender I rented to who moved out and filed a lawsuit against me. It was mostly bogus, false accusations, but my insurance took the claim and hired an attorney and she settled it and paid out because she wanted to keep it out of court. It has been dragging on for almost a year and it just got settled about a week ago, but then we found out our new tenant was moving out so we had to find more new tenants, but miraculously we found the perfect tenants... That was no accident. I know it was divine assistance because of the way it happened. The tenant at our other rental owes us upwards of 5000 in back rent but he said he has money coming in soon so I just wait. A couple of years ago he owed me twice that and he paid it all off so I cut him a lot of slack.

The 10 cats are stable right now so I have no real complaints except we have had no septic system for about six months, so the great outdoors has become our friend. Luckily we live on acreage hidden in the trees. After the new tenants get settled then we can try to figure out what to do with the septic at our domicile.

Yes, I try to look at the positives and detachment is the order of the day. :)

Reactions: tonyfish58
Aug 2014
Blue Planet
Does good attitude mean to be a nice guy or to be honest and truthfully person? Or is a person who is honest and truthfully a nice guy?
I think to be good means to behave with utmost justice, and to behave with justice means to know the truth in each case and to behave accordingly. To be good doesn't mean something superficial like "smile to all people" because we have the saying in Baha'i scripture that we should not for example, be forgiving to a dictator; it will just make him to be more of a dictator. So in facing a dictator, justice is to behave according to the laws to stop him.

Jul 2018
Tarshish, bound for Nineveh
I think to be good means to behave with utmost justice, and to behave with justice means to know the truth in each case and to behave accordingly. To be good doesn't mean something superficial like "smile to all people" because we have the saying in Baha'i scripture that we should not for example, be forgiving to a dictator; it will just make him to be more of a dictator. So in facing a dictator, justice is to behave according to the laws to stop him.
I like your idea, but then as a logical extension, for me to truly be just I must acknowledge that often, if not most of the time, I do not know the truth, perhaps can not ascertain the truth, or even worse, erroneously believe that I do know the truth. So I think justice/fairness require me to keep this in mind, and to not be too hasty or certain in things.

Cheers