How important is physical appearance ? - Abdul Baha

Sep 2017
Earth
Many Hindu yogis keep their hair long because they use it as a medium to draw cosmic energy from the ether in to their bodies and also to preserve certain energies. They do not eat much but live off of the cosmic energy that they tap in to using esoteric yogic practices.

No offence but this refinement is not what my post was about, Abdul Baha is a different category, maybe his presence was because he was the centre of the covenant and the mystery of God. I know your not comparing them to Abdul Baha, but my initial post is not about people who look like you posted.

Feb 2019
Chicago
No offence but this refinement is not what my post was about, Abdul Baha is a different category, maybe his presence was because he was the centre of the covenant and the mystery of God. I know your not comparing them to Abdul Baha, but my initial post is not about people who look like you posted.
I was aware of your initial post. But then there were some comments from others about Hindus and Sikhs. So I was simply explaining why some Hindus may keep their hair long.

Oct 2019
Manitoba
I would say not very. Hygiene is important but physical beauty is not.

I was blessed in appearance. This made me prideful and I was punished for it, humbled through life. The Holy Spirit has actually convicted me of the danger of being a proud, attractive white guy and how it might hurt minorities. If I’m going to devotional meetings or other activities where people have been directly hurt by white patriarchy it’s not a good thing so I try to humble myself and not take up space, downplay my confidence.

Reactions: Trailblazer
Jul 2018
Tarshish, bound for Nineveh
It would depend what you mean by beauty. There are writings about cleanliness of body and clothing, good grooming, perfuming, modesty, moderation, and being in a state of refinement in all things. I suppose these have something to do with beauty, depending on the definition of beauty you have in mind. Naturally, beauty is in the eye of the holder, but I think that someone, in my opinion, who followed the above would be more beautiful that someone who did not.

Cheers

Jul 2018
Tarshish, bound for Nineveh
It would depend what you mean by beauty. There are writings about cleanliness of body and clothing, good grooming, perfuming, modesty, moderation, and being in a state of refinement in all things. I suppose these have something to do with beauty, depending on the definition of beauty you have in mind. Naturally, beauty is in the eye of the holder, but I think that someone, in my opinion, who followed the above would be more beautiful that someone who did not.

Cheers
I see that I actually didn't answer the original question about the importance of "physical appearance" and instead answered to "beauty" because it was also mentioned in the thread. I would say, based upon the same reasons I mentioned above, that physical appearance is actually somewhat important since cleanliness, modesty, and refinement are conducive to spirituality in the self as well as in others.

It is also important, because it is one of the ways by which Bahais may distinguish themselves from others. Abdul Baha expressed the wish that by their appearance and conduct a Bahai would be instantly recognizable, and one would say "that one is most certainly a Bahai" (I am paraphrasing even though I put it in quotes). To me, that means we should be willing to be different in appearance from others to the extent that fashion trends differ from the standards of our faith. I have my own opinions about how that should be implemented and though I try to do it myself as I understand it, I am reluctant to detail how that should be for someone else, even when I do on occasion see Bahais whose fashion does not accord with the teachings, as I understand them. Everyone is on their own journey, and hopefully striving to learn the teachings and apply them as best they can.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: Trailblazer