How to talk about the resurrection

May 2011
Kentucky
I immediately thought of this

No less bitter is the conflict between sects and denominations. Christ was a divine Center of unity and love. Whenever discord prevails instead of unity, wherever hatred and antagonism take the place of love and spiritual fellowship, Antichrist reigns instead of Christ. Who is right in these controversies and hatreds between the sects? Did Christ command them to love or to hate each other? He loved even His enemies and prayed in the hour of His crucifixion for those who killed Him. Therefore, to be a Christian is not merely to bear the name of Christ and say, “I belong to a Christian government.” To be a real Christian is to be a servant in His Cause and Kingdom, to go forth under His banner of peace and love toward all mankind, to be self-sacrificing and obedient, to become quickened by the breaths of the Holy Spirit, to be mirrors reflecting the radiance of the divinity of Christ, to be fruitful trees in the garden of His planting, to refresh the world by the water of life of His teachings—in all things to be like Him and filled with the spirit of His love.
By Abdul-Baha from here

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
This may interest some people - Martyrdom of the Bab

A Comparison of Jesus and the Báb

Anyone reading the martyrdoms of both Jesus and the Báb, will notice some very intriguing similarities...

1)The age of the Báb and length of His mission are similar to those of Jesus.

2)Both had farcical trials with predictable conclusions.

3)The Báb is put to death on the eve of Ramadan, exactly as Jesus is martyred on the eve of Sabbath and the Passover, for the same reasons.

4)The Báb being paraded through town on an ass recalls Jesus' entry into Jerusalem.

5)The Báb met His martyrdom at noon, which is the time Jesus was taken away to His death in John.

6)Both are suspended in the air, have one fellow-companion going to Paradise, and the same words are uttered for their going there.

7)The Báb instructs His disciples to deny their faith, much as Jesus' disciples fled and denied Him in order for His faith to continue.

8)Both the Báb and Jesus demonstrate a power over martyrdom that shows it was a voluntary death.

9)Both are struck by a sword / spear.

10)The disappearance of the Báb before the people, is similar to Jesus' disappearance from the tomb.

11)A long darkness (and other natural wonders) follows the deaths of both the Báb and Jesus.

12)Guards are posted over both the Báb's and Jesus' bodies so that their bodies are not taken, but both fail in their jobs.

13)The bodies of both the Báb and Jesus are both found disappeared on the third day.

14)In both cases a report is spread abroad to cover the disappearance.

Cheers Tony :yes:

Sep 2010
United Kingdom
7)The Báb instructs His disciples to deny their faith, much as Jesus' disciples fled and denied Him in order for His faith to continue.
Ah yes but he also said these words which I think makes the similarity more apparent...:yes:

John 18:7-8.

Again he asked them, “Who is it you want?”

“Jesus of Nazareth,” they said.

8 Jesus answered, “I told you that I am he. If you are looking for me, then let these men go.” 9 This happened so that the words he had spoken would be fulfilled: “I have not lost one of those you gave me.”[a]

10 Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it and struck the high priest’s servant, cutting off his right ear. (The servant’s name was Malchus.)

The Bab telling his disciples to deny their faith is an act of love. He wants their lives to be spared. In the same way Jesus wants his disciples' lives to be spared. They both thus appear to act with courage and selflessness.

That was very interestingg, thank you Tony! :yes:

I would say there is similarities, although the situations are obviously not identical (different forms of execution being the main difference of course).

Sep 2010
Louisiana
What's real!

That is very special. It was not what I expected. I continue to point out that for all the verses used to cite the physical resurrection that there are others that do not. The Baha'i perspective encompasses both. THe Baha'i view of the world answers more questions than any other.

Sep 2010
United Kingdom
Some more similarities between Jesus and the Bab...

Jesus said:

Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.

The Bab said:

You who are His spiritual children must by your deeds exemplify His virtues, and witness to His glory. You are the salt of the earth, but if the salt have lost its savour, wherewith shall it be salted? Such must be the degree of your detachment....
The Bab said:

"Bless me, O my God, and those who will believe in Thy signs on the appointed Day, and such as cherish my love in their hearts—a love which Thou dost instil into them."

Jesus said:

"Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love."

Jun 2006
California
Yeshua wrote:

The Bab telling his disciples to deny their faith is an act of love. He wants their lives to be spared. In the same way Jesus wants his disciples' lives to be spared. They both thus appear to act with courage and selflessness.

My comment:

Actually this was just before the execution of the Bab and He told one of His followers to deny their faith so the story of His last moments would be shared... Jesus disciples abandoned or denied Him..

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
Yeshua wrote:

My comment:

Actually this was just before the execution of the Bab and He told one of His followers to deny their faith so the story of His last moments would be shared... Jesus disciples abandoned or denied Him..
Here is an interesting Sermon on that statement - THEY FORSOOK HIM AND FLED

I could never say that they still did not love Christ, or Christ them....“But all this was done, that the scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled. Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled” (Matthew 26:56).

Cheers Tony:yes:

Dec 2010
Australia
We dont deny the resurection either. But the literal one...
I found him slightly confusing, maybe the way he speaks I dont know. But in any case
those whom God ordains to go to heaven will indeed reach heaven and those whom he ordains to be remote will indeed be remote. So the little story of the guy who said "I will just stay out here with my friends", well its sortof not how it works. I think his point is that
we shouldnt necessarily seek heaven? I dont know... But were it not for heaven then how can those who suffered be redeemed. How could there be light... How can there be dark.
Heaven exists as surely as the manifestations of God themselves exist. I dont think its something we can triviliaze by a story that the man says he will stay outside with his mates.
But I think such a story appeals to peoples. I dont think this man has true understanding but he is trying to illustrate some points in an albeit round about way. Ok now enough of my talking...