I'd like to become a Baha'i...maybe

Sep 2011
Chicago, IL, USA
HI! :wave: I've been discovering various religions and practising them over the years and recently I'm checking out the Baha'i faith. I live not too far from the H.O.W. in Wilmette, IL. I've been there several times this month. Some people know my name already. A nice lady even bought me "Baha'u'llah and the New Era". Recently I bought the Baha'i Prayer Book and "Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah".
I do some reading in their reading room, ask questions....
I get really good vibes from all this.

I think I might like to become a Baha'i.... But will a "freak" like me be accepted? I'm heavily tattooed (not on face or hands). Btw, I do NOT drink, smoke, or do drugs anymore. I'm also a Vegan. I'm not ashamed of how I look, but many people are put off by it. I'm so sick & tired of that! In I Samuel 16:7 says that God doesn't judge like humans do; He looks on the *inside* of a person -- in their heart.

Thank you! :woot:

Sep 2010
United Kingdom
Samuel 16:7

But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.

Very poignant words from the Bible and very true I must say! You have great taste ;)

Mar 2011
us
:) Great. Even if you did have tattoos on your face and arms you could still become a baha'i no problem. There are no forbidden this/that in the baha'i religion but our motto is modesty in terms of dress code and social appearance. And the background is irrelevant;what you were, where you come from, which groups/organizations/activities you were involved with ...

This faith is an all encompassing faith. Feel free to ask any questions.

In the briefest sense the baha'i faith is about unity of mankind, justice for all, and equality on all levels, sex, race, ethnicity ....

Sep 2010
Louisiana
We practtice...

We practice unity in diversity. We focus on ourselves in order to give me what I need, so I can be loving to others. Our unity is very special. Individuals do not a place in this Faith to tell each other what they should and should not be/do/believe. We need to love each other, not judge each other. If one needs guidance then it will come from an Institution like a loving parent. By believing and accepting the Covenant and the Institutions there is protection that no other religion has had. It's special. I hope you see it, and I hope you find acceptance that teaches you new things about what that means. I sincerely believe it is in our communities and you will find it. New belivers are a joy. So maybe you have actually been headed "this way" for a while. How great to have one's path confirmed! You found the truth of many things on your own. I hope "we" are part of that truth. It is truly special to find this Faith and embrace it. "Lost Wax" cire perdue

Sep 2011
Chicago, IL, USA
WOW! :mooooh: What great replies! I wasn't expecting this! My heart tells me one thing, but then my head gets in the way.

I'm having a little issue about Baha'u'llah being the Promised One of all religions, and a smaller issue with Him being the current Manifestation of God. Then I read His prayers/writings and they fill my heart.

FYI: I've practised ---
Roman Catholicism (I love attending Mass and praying the Rosary!), Paganism (Ancient Egyptian, Wicca), Islam (ʾašhadu ʾan lā ʾilāha ʾilla (A)llāh, wa ʾašhadu ʾanna Muḥammada(n) rasūlu (A)llāh), Gaudiya Vaishnavaism (aka "Hare Krishnas"), Buddhism (Soka Gakkai International).... I've learned so much from all these. I've grown spiritually, too. I want to continue to grow!

Thank you! :yes:

Sep 2011
Chicago, IL, USA
I just found this on Twitter: "Diversity among humans should cause love and harmony, just as different notes in music create a perfect blend." (Abdu'l-Baha)

Sep 2010
Louisiana
those problems

Working through those "problems" is how one grows spiritually. Sometimes one has to work through them repeatedly. No one else can do it for you, and we can not pound you with "what you are supposed to think". However working through those things is a very special thing. It's a spiritual savings account. Abdul'baha said, "Cam, Cam, ruz bih ruz", which is Little by little, day by day, or is it, vice versa? Keep connecting those ideas and listen to your heart!

Jul 2011
n ireland
There are numerous pathways to God and true enlightenment.Eventually its necessary to select one path and chose it as your way forward as chosing the righ path for you is not he same as chosingwhat you want to wear today.