If We're Unable to Consult, We Enable Ourselves!

Dec 2012
Earth
Greetings Walrus,

Err, that verse should in no way be taken literally.

Even at its warmest, I don't think one would apply the word "temperate" to Greenland.

Symbolic meaning is clear: Draw parallels with "a lover is he who is chill in hellfire" or conversely one who is temperate in a glacial tundra.

Literal interpretations would not make any sense. The expanding virtues of the Kalaallit people would lead to global warming?? No, I don't think these people are responsible for climate change: The Bahá’í Community of Greenland

It seems like an attempt to take half of the quote literally as an attempt to show it predicting scientific events, much like how some will claim "Split the atom's heart and lo! Within it thou wilt find a sun!" is a prediction of nuclear power, even though that quote is not a direct quote of Baha'u'llah, but was the words of a poet that Baha'u'llah cited in Seven Valleys.

I think both the 'Abdu'l-Baha quote and that part of Seven Valleys are much the same: symbolic and illustrative statements that we, if we look at it sideways, can potentially read into using some modern scientific understandings, but that is a coincidental connection at best, and the symbolic meaning is quite at odds with the literal interpretations, so they are best discarded.
The quote was not used to make a literal point, but rather show how the Bahá'í Writings can naturally be read and interpreted in a literal context over time. What can be easily missed here is how future perceptions will change entire understandings that currently exist today.

Very few languages can survive a thousand years in their original form. Indeed the English language is a hybrid of a number of languages, in particular the language of the Angles, Saxons and Jutes, that came from what is now known as Denmark and north-west Germany. The English language is broken into three types, Old English (450-1100), Middle English (1100-1500) and Modern English. Modern English is also split into Early Modern English (1500-1800) and Late Modern English (1800 to the present). So in reality the English language, as we know it today, has only been in existence for around 200 years. So it stands to reason why material produced over 100 years ago is not as easy to understand as we might think. In addition to this Arabic and Persian have changed by degrees too. This is why some people naturally have issues with the way the Bahá'í Writings remain translated today. It has nothing to do with objecting to religious authority or the notion of authoritative translations, but rather with the way meanings becoming distorted due to the natural evolution of language.

Any future generation of people, especially those that might have no living memory of ice in the Poles, cannot possibly read the cited Tablet like we do now. We cannot easily reason with this because we are living in the Formative Age. This is somewhat akin to living in the historical period than Christian society referred to as the Middle Ages. Namely the Heroic Age has already passed and the Golden Age is not with us yet. People can describe the Formative Age many ways, but I tend to think they are generally far too romanticised.

Wishing you well.

Earth

PS. On a different topic, a family member has asked me to pass a parody link onto the “Gamer of Bahá’í Forums”. I think this might be a reference to you. If it is, you should enjoy watching a few episodes from Epic NPC Man. Here is one to get you started.

Dec 2012
Earth
Greetings Pete in Panama,

Always glad to help where I can. Hopefully, given the title of your post, you can see that a Bahá’í can really do anything unilaterally to help progress the Faith and things that they value. There are a few areas where Bahá’ís are recommended not to present the Faith, but even with these it is not always possible to make provisions should they transpire without prior warning. For instance I was once invited to attend a meeting with my client to see the head of state. During the meeting my client announced that I was Bahá’í. This then resulted in a long unscheduled conversation about the Bahá’í Faith. When this head of state later had a meeting with representatives of the Bahá’í Faith, they were complemented on raising such wonderful citizens. The trustees clearly had no clue as to what had transpired a little earlier except they were lavishly praised for their service rendered to the state. Naturally it was not my intention to violate Bahá’í guidance here, but we all need to use our common sense when God decrees to place us in a position where He wants us to be. In addition to this, sometimes it can help to keep people ignorant of some matters. So if you ever find yourself alone and being asked to present the Faith to a head of state, always understand that God will grant you everything that you need. Bahá’í policies only exist to stop over-jealous believers from doing foolish things. They are not there to prevent circumstances of fate.

Even though we have not arrived in our new home, I am already dreaming of building a boat to complete the Pacific Ring of Fire. As you know, Panama is on that route, so perhaps we should stay in closer contact with one another like you have suggested.

All good things,

Earth

Sep 2012
Panama
...dreaming of building a boat to complete the Pacific Ring of Fire. As you know, Panama is on that route, so perhaps we should stay in closer contact with one another ...
As a matter of fact the Pacific Ocean can be seen from where I live --though only on a very very clear day. Let's stay in touch, it'd be a hoot to link up when you come by Panama.

Sep 2010
Normanton Far North Queensland
Even though we have not arrived in our new home, I am already dreaming of building a boat to complete the Pacific Ring of Fire. As you know, Panama is on that route, so perhaps we should stay in closer contact with one another like you have suggested.
I am thinking a yacht :)

Boats and me have been not good, do you know tha it means;

Bring
Out
Another
Thousand

And Is that result of boating ;):lol::lol:

Regards Tony

Dec 2012
Earth
Greetings Tony,

Bring
Out
Another
Thousand
Chuckle.

If you do your research you would be surprised how economical things can be. Currently there is now a stronger trend for building in aluminium. They tend to be extremely strong, have good longevity and maintain their value. A sort of Persian carpet for the sea if you will.

Earth

Sep 2010
Normanton Far North Queensland
Greetings Tony,

Chuckle.

If you do your research you would be surprised how economical things can be. Currently there is now a stronger trend for building in aluminium. They tend to be extremely strong, have good longevity and maintain their value. A sort of Persian carpet for the sea if you will.

Earth
I may have owned a few :lol: They flogged my money....They did not have sails :) A couple of them, now long gone. I have no more thousands for boats :lol::winktongue:

P1040581.jpg
Picture 003.jpg