Importance of Perfume

Sep 2018
usa
"God hath enjoined upon you to observe the utmost cleanliness, to the extent of washing what is soiled with dust, let alone with hardened dirt and similar defilement. Fear Him, and be of those who are pure. Should the garb of anyone be visibly sullied, his prayers shall not ascend to God, and the celestial Concourse will turn away from him. Make use of rose-water, and of pure perfume; this, indeed, is that which God hath loved from the beginning that hath no beginning, in order that there may be diffused from you what your Lord, the Incomparable, the All-Wise, desireth." (Bahá'u'lláh, Kitáb-i-Aqdas, p. 47 )

Jun 2014
Wisconsin
Since a lot is being asked on the topic of fragrences, I think this writing of 'Abdu'l-Baha might be relevant:

O thou who art attracted by the Fragrances of God!

Verily I say unto thee the truth, that I am with you in spirit and in heart, that I rejoice by your joy and am happy by your happiness; and hear with the ear of spirit your calling and scent with the spiritual nostrils the fragrances of your garden.

O ye friends of God! Arise from the corporeal beds and ask for the divine favors, so that ye become revived by the Holy Spirit through the breath which the Spirit breathes into the souls.

By the glory of my Lord, there will be for your brilliant assemblage an evident sign and great effects in the spirits and the hearts. Therefore, gladden the friends of the Merciful with the glad-tidings of thy Lord in this time, and convey to them greeting from Abdul-Baha in this promised century, so that they may arise with me in servitude to the Threshold of El-Baha.

Mar 2019
Senegal
Very good, thanks Walrus. Incense and pleasant smells like perfumes have been important in many religions and cultures. From Judaism, to Christianity (decanters), to Islam, and most used by eastern religions like Hinduism. It's sweet smoke is symbolic of the prayers rising to Heaven.

I find it to be a sign of the oneness of humanity. Scent is a universal language in a way because people from any place and time recognize the beauty of good fragrances.

Useful for calming of the mind in meditation/contemplation/prayer.

Sep 2018
usa
I find it to be a sign of the oneness of humanity. Scent is a universal language in a way because people from any place and time recognize the beauty of good fragrances.
wow, thats a beautiful perspective. :)

Apr 2011
Hyrule
Since a lot is being asked on the topic of fragrences, I think this writing of 'Abdu'l-Baha might be relevant:

O thou who art attracted by the Fragrances of God!

Verily I say unto thee the truth, that I am with you in spirit and in heart, that I rejoice by your joy and am happy by your happiness; and hear with the ear of spirit your calling and scent with the spiritual nostrils the fragrances of your garden.

O ye friends of God! Arise from the corporeal beds and ask for the divine favors, so that ye become revived by the Holy Spirit through the breath which the Spirit breathes into the souls.

By the glory of my Lord, there will be for your brilliant assemblage an evident sign and great effects in the spirits and the hearts. Therefore, gladden the friends of the Merciful with the glad-tidings of thy Lord in this time, and convey to them greeting from Abdul-Baha in this promised century, so that they may arise with me in servitude to the Threshold of El-Baha.
"Cleanse thy heart from every blasphemous whispering and evil allusion thou hast heard in the past, that thou mayest inhale the sweet savours of eternity from the Joseph of faithfulness, gain admittance into the celestial Egypt, and perceive the fragrances of enlightenment . . ."
-Baha'u'llah

"And if, by the help of God, he findeth on this journey a trace of the traceless Friend, and inhaleth the fragrance of the long-lost Joseph from the heavenly messenger, he shall straightway step into the Valley of Love."
-Baha'u'llah

Mar 2019
Senegal
"I swear by God! Were he that treadeth the path of guidance and seeketh to scale the heights of righteousness to attain unto this glorious and supreme station, he would inhale at a distance of a thousand leagues fragrance of God, and would perceive the resplendent morn of a divine guidance rising above the dayspring of all things. Each and every thing, however small, would be to him a revelation leading him to his Beloved, the Object of his quest. So great shall be the discernment of this seeker that he will discriminate between truth and falsehood even as he doth distinguish the sun from shadow. If in the uttermost corners of the East the sweet savours of God be wafted, he will be assuredly recognize and inhale their fragrance, even though he be dwelling in the uttermost ends of the West"

"When the channel of the human soul is cleansed of all worldly and impeding attachments, it will unfailingly perceive the breath of the Beloved across immeasurable distances, and will, led by its perfume, attain and enter the City of Certitude"
Kitab-i-Iqan

Metaphorical perfumes and scents are perhaps better to cling to than the worldly fragrances. But all things come from God and Baha'i are not ascetic, so I see the metaphors as merely affirming the Divine origins of the Scents of Creation and all other things of objective beauty and quality.

Mar 2019
Senegal
A few small typos in the first quotation there. Nothing damaging, just some grammar. That's the last time I try voice to text!

While Baha'i is not an ascetic tradition, there is the quite related theme of detachment to wordly things and the Valley of True Poverty and Absolute Nothingness. But this is only at the highest stage of the spiritual journey... So as seekers residing in our drop of worldly life, I think perfume and incense of natural qualities are useful for cleansing a body or space and purifying it and bringing it nearer to the perfection found in the Ocean of Oneness. And yet for true detachment of the material world and attachment to God, nothing external is needed.

Once in the Ocean such limited pleasures and ephemeral sensations melt away and there will be simultaneously no fragrance and every fragrance to inhale.

At least in my limited understanding this is how things are. Thoughts?