Introducing Vinayaka

Aug 2018
New Zealand
I understand where you are coming from. I was perhaps a bit over enthusiastic since I have been discovering real spiritual gems in Bahaullah's writings that I was already familiar with due to my Hindu background.
That's great. My overall purpose is to raise awareness and knowledge about Hinduism within the Baha'i community so with your permission I would like to talk to you further on another thread (I'll start it if you like) and provide the opportunity for participants here to learn from you. :)

Apr 2019
Canada
How would you describe your yoga practice? How do you worship in your temple?
Thanks again for the respectful questions. Yoga means many things to many people. If you're referring to the modern hatha yoga, the answer is only very occasionally. But classical yoga (meaning derived from Patanjali's Yoga Sutras) which start with the Yamas and Niyamas, or classical lifestyle restrains and observances. I practice those to the best of my abilities. (Just google 'yamas and niyamas' if you want more information.

At temples much if not most of the worship is individual. Every devotee is on their own, and it's communion between him/her and the God or Gods enshrined in the temple. Most Hindus will go for 20 minutes or so, say their personal prayers before one shrine or another, then sit for awhile, then leave. Temples vary regionally, and there is always quite a difference between each, depending on sect, geography, language, and more. The priest's primary duty is to beseech the presence of God through ritual, so there is rarely much communication with the priest. The temple I personally attend regularly is a Ganesha temple, and I will stay longer to watch the entire puja ritual which normally lasts about half an hour, but can be longer for festivals, or if specific more elaborate rituals are performed. For Hindus, that 'feeling of being ine the presence of' is a key to prayer etc. There are lots of little customs about worship, too many to elaborate on here.

Aum

Sep 2010
Normanton Far North Queensland
Great to see you Vinayaka.

This forum has little moderation, especially for your dislike of proselytizing. As such, as Adrian has done above, we will try to moderate those that may want to take that path.

My question would be how vast is Hinduisim.

I see that it needed to be made clear as to how vast Hinduism is and that it is not all based on Krishna. We have been fortunate that you have made that clear on RF and this thread would be a good place to record the vastness of the Hindu Faith and the many schools of thought.

I hope we do not scare you off. 😊

Regards Tony

Feb 2019
Chicago
That's great. My overall purpose is to raise awareness and knowledge about Hinduism within the Baha'i community so with your permission I would like to talk to you further on another thread (I'll start it if you like) and provide the opportunity for participants here to learn from you. :)
I am a work in progress and don't want to give the impression that others can learn from me. All I can do is share my imperfect and incomplete understanding of Hinduism which is like an ocean. It is the world's oldest religion - so old that no Hindu knows how old it is. It is unique in the sense that is has no founder and is it not a one scripture religion.

Aug 2018
New Zealand
I am a work in progress and don't want to give the impression that others can learn from me. All I can do is share my imperfect and incomplete understanding of Hinduism.
We are all a work in progress and imperfect. Your humility, willingness to recognise your imperfection and explore a faith beyond your own cultural roots is good enough for me. Shall we call it a conversation between two imperfect souls and see where it leads?

Sep 2018
usa
hi, thank you for being here and inviting us to this great opportunity.:)

please , in your own words, how would you describe Hinduism? and what vision does it give to you personally, for the future of mankind?

Feb 2019
Chicago
We are all a work in progress and imperfect. Your humility, willingness to recognise your imperfection and explore a faith beyond your own cultural roots is good enough for me. Shall we call it a conversation between two imperfect souls and see where it leads?
I am in. Please start a new discussion thread separate from this one with any questions you may have.

Dec 2012
Earth
Greetings Vinayaka,

It is very interesting to learn how you adopted Hinduism from your previous experience. It certainly helps me to understand why Adrian and Tony, both well established Bahá’ís, will find you so inspiring to talk with.

Bahá’ís are often fascinated with how people adopt different belief systems. This is out of genuine interest, not a desire to convert people. So anything further you would wish to add towards your own adoption of Hinduism would be more than welcoming to read.

Earth