Is it possible to someone to get access to every Baha'i scripture ?

Nov 2015
France
Hello there.

There are many writings by the Bab and Baha'u'llah that are preserved in Haifa. Is it possible to get access to the unpublished Scriptures ? Or are the unpublished Scriptures out of access ?

By access I mean either direct consultation, or being provided copies of the documents (such as photographs of them ?).

Thank you.

Sep 2010
Canada
Good question.

I don't know how much of the Works of the Bab and Baha'u'llah are published so far at least in Persian and Arabic. I think that's a question UHJ would be able to answer if they have not done so far.
I think only the department of research have access to the original works in haifa.
So far a low percentage of the works has been translated.

Nov 2015
France
Thank you for that answer.

Mmmmm.... the least I can say is that this is exremely preocuppying. How can a religion of the Book keeps concealed most of its Book after 170 years of History ?

Now, what if an average person asks to see these documents or to get copies of them, would they be allowed to ?

Oct 2014
Stockholm
I think this is less of a problem than some can make it into. The main books of Bahá'u'lláh have been published in English. The Indian community, already more than half a century ago, published about forty volumes of writings.

As far as I understand, what is kept at the archives in Haifa is a considerable amount of correspondence.

What a fascinating question put forward - so seemingly innocent. And what a surprised conclusion after having heard an answer:

Is it possible to get access to the unpublished Scriptures ? Or are the unpublished Scriptures out of access ?

Mmmmm.... the least I can say is that this is exremely preocuppying. How can a religion of the Book keeps concealed most of its Book after 170 years of History ?
Who, and what, are you really, GoaForce?

Best

from

gnat

Last edited:
Nov 2015
France
The Indian community, already more than half a century ago, published about forty volumes of writings.
Now that you say that, I have heard of Baha'is publishing in Bombay during the 30's. I am also aware that untranslated volumes of letters, as well as the Kitab-i-Badi, various poems and mystical comments have been circulating.

Who, and what, are you really, GoaForce?

I am an archivist, and an investigator. I am interested in religious Scriptures. And I know how important every letter revealed by a prophet is sacred. During the early times of Islam, Christianity and Sikhism, people died to protect the Scriptures from being changed by one single letter.
Even if the main books have been translated, it is not sufficient.

There are two possbilities :
_either the Baha'i religion is a false religion, in which case the concealed writings cover up a manipulation.
_either it's a divine religion, and every single letter from the Scriptures that is concealed from the world is a treasure that needs to be shared with all of mankind. It's simple as that.

For instance, what if in the Writings, there are failed prophecies ? Or what if the fact that we don't see the original manuscripts because they are different from the official publications ?
Or, on the contrary, what if these unpublished writings contain wisdom and prophecies about the world to come that we should be aware of ?

I am a citizen of this world, and as such, I require to be informed of the content of the unpublished writing. There is no malevolant intention on my behalf, just a great frustration, because the Baha'i religion is really the religion that is the more appealing to me.

What a fascinating question put forward - so seemingly innocent. And what a surprised conclusion after having heard an answer:
I am aware of the content of the Quran, that warns us of scriptures that are concealed. This conclusion is just taken from the study of Abrahamic faiths. No offense intended.

Anyway, always keep in mind that I am an investigator. I investigate, I doubt, I question.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Oct 2014
Stockholm
Dear Goa Force,

Thank you very much for your straightforward answers.

gnat

Jun 2015

Your question is valid....and deserves an honest answer; the absence of which allows people to draw their own - perhaps incorrect - conclusions.

Sep 2010
Canada

Now, what if an average person asks to see these documents or to get copies of them, would they be allowed to ?
It depends how one defines publishing and concealing.

Historically, all the Writings of the Bab and Baha'u'llah were with the People of their time.
They wrote these Tablets and Books, and then copies were made of them in hand-writings. Then these copies were sent to the people and circulated among believers and even non-believers. Through these Writings, many became believers. About a centrury later, Shoghi Effendy asked Baha'I families to send any copies they have to the Baha'I Center for collection, archiving and translation. So, all these Copies that are now in haifa, were once among Baha'is. Could it be said they were concealed or not published if the copies were in hand-writing already among Baha'is?

I am not sure what percentage of these hand-writings are published using Modern Publishing in Persian or Arabic and later Translated in other Languages.
But, there is a great amount of Writings, which can be seen on the internet.
The Task of translation is quite time-consuming. The Baha'I believers are not infallible, and they have spend time to translate the Texts correctly. Some of the Major works Translations has been revised a few times. I think it is better to do a careful translation than do it too fast with errors.

Last edited:
Nov 2015
France
It depends how one defines publishing and concealing.
Be it intentionnal or not, when a Scripture is unavailable after a long span of time, and that the public is uninformed of it, it is concealed to me, whatever the purpose of it (political reasons, lack of ressources to publish the document, problem with deciphering or authentifying documents, etc.) This is not an accusation, I am not judging, I just point out that it is.

They wrote these Tablets and Books, and then copies were made of them in hand-writings.
What I notice is that the authenticity of the Writings is stressed by Baha'u'llah. He says that the proof of it is their direct writing through his amanuensis. Now, for this proof to be validated, I need to know, where are pictures of these revelation papers ? Like this one :

I would like to see not one, but all of the original copies. My mind is agitated about that.

So, all these Copies that are now in haifa, were once among Baha'is. Could it be said they were concealed or not published if the copies were in hand-writing already among Baha'is?
It's all about communication. Are there websites, libraries, studies or books that are available anywhere where I can read the complete corpus of the Bab and Baha'u'llah's writing that is available in Haifa ? (Though I know that some Scriptures are not in Haifa.)

But, there is a great volume can be seen on the internet.
I am aware of the massive amount of untranslated volume of Writings that is to be found on the Internet, but I am intereted in :
1_the original copies (revelation papers + original manuscripts) of all the published (translated AND untranslated Scriptures currently available)
2_the writings that are not published + original manuscripts + revelation papers ?

Is that possible ? Thank you.