Justice of God - Question

Sep 2017
Earth
So I have been pondering about Justice and the suffering of innocent people, and came across a letter from the House Of Justice which stated :

On this plane of existence, there are many injustices that the human mind cannot fathom. Among these are the heart-rending trials of the innocent. Indeed, even the Prophets of God Themselves have borne their share of grievous afflictions in every age. Yet in spite of the evidence of all this suffering, God's Manifestations, Whose lives and wisdom show Them to have been far above human beings in understanding, unitedly bear testimony to the justice, love and mercy of God.

Is God's Justice working with people suffering we just cannot understand it? If so why are we then called to help those who are suffering and are poor if there is justice in that suffering?

Mar 2013
Edwardsville, Illinois, USA
Suffering is a part of life, this was often mentioned by the Buddha, and in all the Holy Scriptures, but whenever we have the opportunity to reduce the suffering of others it is a good thing. If the people of the world start to follow the teachings of Baha'u'llah suffering can be greatly reduced. The following quotes are from "Baha'u'llah and the New Era"

'Abdu'l-Bahá says: --

Grief and sorrow do not come to us by chance; they
are sent by the Divine Mercy for our perfecting. When
grief and sorrow come, then will a man remember his
Father Who is in Heaven, Who is able to deliver him from
his humiliations. The more a man is chastened, the greater
is the harvest of spiritual virtues shown forth by him.

At first sight it may seem very unjust that the innocent
should suffer for the guilty, but 'Abdu'l-Bahá assures us that
the injustice is only apparent and that, in the long run, perfect
justice prevails. He writes: --

As to the subject of babes and children and weak ones
who are afflicted by the hands of the oppressors ... for
those souls there is a recompense in another world ...
that suffering is the greatest mercy of God. Verily that
mercy of the Lord is far better than all the comfort of
this world and the growth and development appertaining
to this place of mortality.

Sep 2017
Earth
I understand what your saying but if there is justice why is there a need for help, or is the help only for own selves? But if there is not justice in them suffering then I can see why we need to help the poor etc

Mar 2013
Edwardsville, Illinois, USA
I understand what your saying but if there is justice why is there a need for help, or is the help only for own selves? But if there is not justice in them suffering then I can see why we need to help the poor etc
Let's say there is someone who is poor and suffering and I help that person. It does benefit me spiritually, and it also benefits the person I help, both materially and spiritually, if it is done in the right way. If I know that I can help but don't do it, that is going backward spiritually for me and I will suffer a negative effect from that, but it is a chance for others to help that person instead. If no one helps and that person suffers more, then God's mercy will bring him closer and provide comfort in Heaven. But it is God's will that people take care of the poor, so if we do that, we become the instrument of God's Justice. In other words, there is always justice, but it is God's will that we should be the instrument of justice, which will create a world, as Jesus said, "on Earth as it is in Heaven".

Aug 2014
Blue Planet
one reason may be that not all people can understand the wisdom in their trials, so by helping them, we make it easier for them to go through them. You know, it is like if one of your friends has to go through a fatal surgery, dangerous one, and there is no way escaping it, but if it goes successful, the friend will get his life back completely. now, even though there is wisdom in his surgery, it is still difficult to go through it alone, and the emotional, spiritual help from a friend goes a long way.

Sep 2018
usa
this is what's terrifying about religion.
the idea of not helping anyone, because god will recompense them if they have suffered in life. This is fundamentally wrong.

be good , just for the sake of being good.

by saying, god recompenses those who suffered. it is meant to showcase the fairness in god's justice.
by no means it is to deter anyone from helping others.

Feb 2019
Chicago
So I have been pondering about Justice and the suffering of innocent people, and came across a letter from the House Of Justice which stated :

On this plane of existence, there are many injustices that the human mind cannot fathom. Among these are the heart-rending trials of the innocent. Indeed, even the Prophets of God Themselves have borne their share of grievous afflictions in every age. Yet in spite of the evidence of all this suffering, God's Manifestations, Whose lives and wisdom show Them to have been far above human beings in understanding, unitedly bear testimony to the justice, love and mercy of God.

Is God's Justice working with people suffering we just cannot understand it? If so why are we then called to help those who are suffering and are poor if there is justice in that suffering?
Any righteous man, having derived his sense of righteousness from God, would rush to help his children that suffer injustice. For example, a good father would do anything in his power to protect his daughters from criminals like rapists. Our Heavenly Father from whom we derive our goodness, righteousness and sense of Justice is infinitely more just, righteousness, kind and loving. Yet we see that when innocent women are raped and , the Heavenly Father silently seems to watch the show like a sadist. God is not a sadist. All the scriptures of the world declare that God is full of love, compassion, mercy and Justice. But we see none of that in action even when Jesus was humiliated, tortured and brutally crucified. He cried out on the cross "Lord why has Thou abandoned me" but quickly added "It is not my will but Thine shall be done".

The Lord's will is expressed through the law of karma. Jesus being a compassionate spiritual giant absorbed the karma of many people to hasten their spiritual evolution and suffered in their place just like a kind billionaire may pay for the debts of others. Since the law of karma was operating God did not interfere. Many people suffer because of their past karma which may not be readily known but is nevertheless following them like a shadow. Only the law of karma explains why the seemingly innocent suffer injustices and why God allows them to happen.

Oct 2014
Stockholm
To me, it is rather simple. Abd'ul-Bahá has written:

Be ye the helpers of every victim of oppression, the patrons of the disadvantaged.

I do not think we are supposed to just sit around and watch bad things happening, with smiling faces. I became a Bahá'í in order to do things.

Best

from

gnat

Sep 2017
Earth
this is what's terrifying about religion.
the idea of not helping anyone, because god will recompense them if they have suffered in life. This is fundamentally wrong.

be good , just for the sake of being good.

by saying, god recompenses those who suffered. it is meant to showcase the fairness in god's justice.
by no means it is to deter anyone from helping others.
From further deepening I gathered that sometimes justice is served in the long run, and we have to do our best to stop others injustices and suffering. This what the Bahá'í faith is about, helping others and forgetting self.

Feb 2019
Chicago
To me, it is rather simple. Abd'ul-Bahá has written:

Be ye the helpers of every victim of oppression, the patrons of the disadvantaged.

I do not think we are supposed to just sit around and watch bad things happening, with smiling faces. I became a Bahá'í in order to do things.

Best

from

gnat
I am afraid you are mixing up two different issues. Issue # 1 is the injustice against and suffering of seemingly innocent people and Issue # 2 is helping them. I was explaining the reasons for Issue # 1. I am all for helping those that are suffering. If we have good karma we should help those with bad karma. That's what philanthropists do for example which is wonderful and is consistent with the teachings of all religions.

Since Bahaullah encouraged Bahai to study the life and teachings of Jesus Christ, I would humbly point you to Matthew 26:50-54 to understand the law of karma that Jesus refers to twice

Jesus replied, "Do what you came for, friend." Then the men stepped forward, seized Jesus and arrested him.

With that, one of Jesus' companions reached for his sword, drew it out and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his ear.

"Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword".

Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels?

But how then would the Scriptures be fulfilled that say it must happen in this way?"

Look at the highlighted text. In verse 52 he is very clear about karma influencing events in a person's life. In verse 53 and 54, he is saying that he can use the help of God's angels to fight off his persecutors if he so wanted, but unless he dies on the cross the scriptures will not be fulfilled - that is the law of karma mentioned in the scriptures will be proven wrong if he escapes crucifixion after having taken upon himself the karma (sins) of others and so as prophet of God, he willingly obeyed the law of karma and allowed himself to be crucified.

Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap - Galatians 6:7

You must understand the nature of all three actions—recommended action, wrong action, and inaction. The truth about these is profound and difficult to understand - Bhagavad Gita 4:17

“Now a person is like this or like that. As it does, so it becomes; by doing good it becomes good, and by doing evil it becomes evil, it becomes pure by pure acts and bad by bad acts. And others, however, say that a person consists of desires. And as is his desire, so is his will; and as is his will, so is his deed; and whatever deed he does, that he will reap.” – Brihadaranyaka Upanishad – 4.4.5