Kissing spreads diseases and should be avoided

bwb

Aug 2010
earth
Kissing on the mouth involves a completely unnecessary risk of spreading disease, and shows what a dangerous brain-washing medium television is.

1210. Kissing in Modern Society is Detrimental to Morals

"What Bahá'u'lláh means by chastity certainly does not include the kissing that goes on in modern society. It is detrimental to the morals of young people, and often leads them to go too far, or arouses appetites which they cannot perhaps at the time satisfy legitimately through marriage, and the suppression of which is a strain on them.

"The Bahá'í standard is very high, more particularly when compared with the thoroughly rotten morals of the present world. But this standard of ours will produce healthier, happier, nobler people, and induce stabler marriages."

(From a letter written on behalf of the Guardian to an individual believer, October 19, 1947)
(Compilations, Lights of Guidance, p. 360)

"Anti-kissing campaign in Egypt
Doctor warns smooching could lead to spread of avian flu
Posted: June 20, 2007
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2007 WorldNetDaily.com

A Cairo pediatrician has launched an anti-kissing campaign in Egypt, warning the practice – even smacking on the cheek – can spread diseases such as avian flu.

Adel Ashur founded the organization No Kisses After Today, saying exchanging smooches can also pass on tuberculosis, meningitis, herpes and hepatitis B, bronchitis, scarlet fever, measles, German measles, common colds, boils and abscesses.

"Despite cynical reactions at the beginning, the Egyptian intellectual layer has started to take this idea seriously, understanding that this habit is unhealthy," he told Albawaba.

To date, Egyptian medical authorities report no cases of bird flu being transmitted person to person in the country. But Ashur says the virus could be in the incubation phase with the person carrying it not exhibiting any of the disease's symptoms. He fears an epidemic once that latency period is over.

A 4-year-old girl tested positive for bird flu last week, bringing to 36 the number of people in Egypt infected with the deadly virus strain since February 2006.

Ashur warns mothers, especially, not to permit their children to be kissed. He says kids under 14 have immune systems that are not fully developed.

"Every Egyptian mother should be very determined in foiling attempts of others to kiss their children, even if they get angry responses," he said."

Sources for the article "Anti-kissing campaign in Egypt":
FulfilledProphecy.Com • View topic - Anti-kissing campaign in Egypt
Anti-kissing campaign in Egypt

Last edited:
Jun 2006
California
Wow..Thanks for posting that bwb...! I haven't seen that particular letter cited in the Lights of Guidance..

I checked my copy and there's a note referring to #1438 and I'll see if I can post it here...

Pilgrim's Notes Reporting the Master's Words on Embracing and Kissing

"The pilgrim's note reports the Master as saying: 'Women and men must not * embrace each other when not married, or not about to be married. They must not kiss each other... If they wish to greet each other, or comfort each other, they may take each other by the hand.' In a letter to an individual written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi it is said: 'The Master's words to... which you quoted, can certainly be taken as the true spirit of the teachings on the subject of sex. We must strive to achieve this exalted standard.' (October 19, 1974)

(From a letter of the Universal of Justice to the National Spiritual Assembly of the United States, February 10, 1974)

(Compilations, Lights of Guidance, p. 439)

Aug 2010
New Zealand mainly
1210. Kissing in Modern Society is Detrimental to Morals

"What Bahá'u'lláh means by chastity certainly does not include the kissing that goes on in modern society. It is detrimental to the morals of young people, and often leads them to go too far, or arouses appetites which they cannot perhaps at the time satisfy legitimately through marriage, and the suppression of which is a strain on them.

"The Bahá'í standard is very high, more particularly when compared with the thoroughly rotten morals of the present world. But this standard of ours will produce healthier, happier, nobler people, and induce stabler marriages."

(From a letter written on behalf of the Guardian to an individual believer, October 19, 1947)
(Compilations, Lights of Guidance, p. 360)
When the compilation "A Chaste and Holy Life" was prepared in 1990, the "kissing" part of this was omitted:

"124. The Bahá'í standard is very high, more particularly when compared with the thoroughly rotten morals of the present world. But this standard of ours will produce healthier, happier, nobler people, and induce stabler marriages....

(From a letter dated 19 October 1947 written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi to an individual believer) *(Compilation as revised in July 1990; reprinted in The Compilation of Compilations vol. I, p. 49)

Shoghi Effendi writes:

"... the machinery of the Cause has been so fashioned, that whatever is deemed necessary to incorporate *into it in order to keep it in the forefront of all progressive movements, can, according to the provisions made by Baha'u'llah, be safely embodied therein. To this testify the words of Baha'u'llah, ... "It is incumbent upon the Trustees of the House of Justice to take counsel together regarding those things which have not outwardly been revealed in the Book, and to enforce that which is agreeable to them. ....." Not only has the House of Justice been invested by Baha'u'llah with the authority to legislate whatsoever has not been explicitly and outwardly recorded in His holy Writ, upon it has also been conferred ... the right and power to abrogate, according to the changes and requirements of the time, whatever has been already enacted and enforced by a preceding House of Justice. (The World Order of Baha'u'llah, p. 22)

bwb

Aug 2010
earth
Here is a youtube video (2 minutes 18 seconds) that mentions the epidemic of mononucleosis, the "kissing disease" on college campuses. There is an incubation period of 4 to 8 weeks, so someone may have mononucleosis and transmit it to someone else, even though he/she has no symptoms. Not normally fatal, but it will make you sick for a week to a month.

People mindlessly imitate behaviours seen on television and this is the unfortunate result!

YouTube - Mono: The Makeout Disease (College Health Guru)

Sep 2010
New Zealand
Romans 16.16a — "Greet one another with a holy kiss"

I must say kisses are not evil nor are they are thing forbidden. But It depends on how one uses it, as all things can be abused.

Jun 2006
California
I somehow doubt though that the definition of "holy kiss" included a full mouthed kiss... :)

bwb

Aug 2010
earth
Romans 16:16 possibly refers to a greeting by kissing on the cheek between members of the same gender, which presumably was a custom at that time, but is not a Christian religious obligation, I don't think.

Sep 2010
Canada
This is all very interesting as it relates to morality, health, etc., but I would be much more interested to learn about the prohibition against of 'kissing hands' in the Aqdas because I don't believe it relates to the issue of chastity.

Is there any additional background or information about this? I have always been curious about the purpose of this, both because it's such a major part of the culture of my Orthodox upbringing and because Baha'u'llah judged it important enough to make it one of His prohibitions.