Learning to love Baha'u'llah

May 2018
New Zealand
Dear all,

I have been investigating the Baha'i faith for over a year now, and I find the writings to be beautiful and inspiring, the central principal of progressive revelation makes complete sense to me.
And I truly believe that the world would be a better place if we followed the Baha'i teaching !

However, I am struggling with accepting Baha'u'llah as divine, as a manifestation of God , as the return of Jesus.

I come from a Christian background, and I have realized over the course of the past few months where I have been study the Baha'i faith and reading about other religions, that I love Jesus.

It is easy for me to look at the stories of Jesus' life and see him as divine, without sin, a reflection of God..

But it is harder with Baha'u'llah.... he had three wives ! I know that this is inline with middle eastern custom but he married his third wife after he experienced his first revelations.. One man with three wives how is this equality ?

Baha'u'llah spoke many wise and loving words.. but where were his loving actions ?

To accept the Baha'i faith I need to learn to love Baha'u'llah, but I am really struggling..

Regards,
T

Nov 2015
Canada
I do not know how much my answer will help but when I was with an Ahmadiyya group they had mentioned how David had many wives, and that it's by no means a bad thing, in the sense that God saw him fit to properly care for that many wives. I would assume the same applies to Baha'u'llah?

Oct 2013
Glenwood, Queensland, Australia
To accept the Baha'i faith I need to learn to love Baha'u'llah, but I am really struggling.
Good morning Traveller

It may sound strange, but I think that your struggle is a Good Thing (note the capitalisation). Nothing good is obtained without a struggle - heck, if it was easy, the whole world would be Baha'i today.

It also brings great joy to my heart to hear you say that you love Jesus. Yet, one must ask - is it the material Jesus you love, or is it the Holy Spirit which was manifest in Him, or is it the fact that He was the mouthpiece of God, the Chosen of God for that day, and thus, for all intents and purposes, our contact with God, and Whose Presence, spiritually, is the entrance into Paradise?

The same evidence, the identical evidences that have proved to you that Christ was the True One from God, the proof of the Testimony of the previous Manifestations, and of the Essence of Divinity, apply to the proofs that Baha'u'llah is the Manifestation of God for this Day.

The first "step" in this process is patience. Otherwise one can make a hasty decision, and a hasty decision is seldom entirely correct, and can, in fact, be entirely erroneous.

The second "step" is trust. Have complete trust and faith in God, Who is the Sender of all the Messengers, and the Source of both being and not-being. Know of a certainty that only with trust will your patience prove of benefit. Know of a certainty that God will show you the way and guide you into Truth.

Isn't there something in the Bible about faith, trust and something? Worth a hunt-down.

The third "step" is prayer. Devoted, loving, earnest, humble. Pray with trust, knowing that God is the answerer of every prayer, and await the outcome with patience.

The fourth "step" is acceptance. Not every Truth that God will bring to your attention will be palatable to pre-perceived ideas, thoughts, beliefs, customs and manners. It is learning to accept Truths as presented by God, but likewise it requires discrimination that one is not misled by personal promptings. There is a wealth of Sacred Texts from all the Faiths which will show you how and where and what to discriminate out, and what to discriminate in. Choose one or choose them all - they all are revealed by God - it's only man that interferes with the original intent.

Be scientific in your approach to acceptance and discrimination.

Knowledge leads to understanding. Knowledge and understanding are the two wings of wisdom.

With my love and my most warm greetings

Romane

Last edited:
Aug 2014
Blue Planet
Dear friend Traveller

I think what you are experiencing is really normal. I, too, loved Jesus very much. I am from a Muslim background, but I never loved anyone more than I loved Jesus, and I always felt He was with me.
Then I found the Baha'i faith, and had just the same struggle as you have now. now I love Bahaullah, and learnt how to connect with His spirit after nearly 5 years. My idea is that to be able to make a connection with the messenger of God at each era is very difficult. What do I mean? I mean that for example it had been the same difficulty for people in time of Jesus to start to love Jesus more than they loved Moses. Or in time of Mohammad, as I have read in Quran, Jews had great difficulty starting to love Mohammad as much as they loved Moses. why is that is because, in my opinion, the messenger of each era sets new and high standard that are spiritually a bit too high for us. we have to strive to reach that point where we can finally see the light.
I went through the same struggle and I found what i was searching for. So I assure you that you need not worry. just move slowly slowly and one day suddenly the door will be opened to your heart :)

Jul 2017
Kettering, Ohio USA
If you want to love Baha'u'llah read The Revelation of Baha'u'llah by Adib Taherzadeh. It has 4 volumes but it's worth the reading. It's about the Revelation of Baha'u'llah but there's a lot about Baha'u'llah in that and His companions.

Besides that, look at Abdu'l-Baha. Baha'u'llah and His wife raised Him. He raised Abdu'l-Baha to such heights that He has to be a Manifestation of God.

Jul 2014
colorado/summer-Oklahoma/winter
Welcome back Traveller! I remember you as being very earnest in your seeking of Truth. I pray you will find the answer You need. Glad too, you are still seeking. It takes many of us a long time to find what it is we seek. And often it was there all the time, we just didn't recognize it. Or maybe you are another Traveler finding your way. Regardless, welcome!
Loving regards,
Becky

Last edited:
May 2018
British Isles
Hello!
I just have to reply to this. Above all, you must read, read, read! I Remember reading Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah when I was 16 during a family holiday. By the time I had finished I was transformed into a new being. The connection that you make with the Manifestation of God is like a father with a newborn child. What no one likes to admit is that the love doesn't always start when the baby is born. For some it can take a year to start but then it becomes the deepest feeling in the father's life. I am now 41 and my love for Baha'u'llah has continued to grow through the decades. It is now almost overpowering. It is He that gives me the connection to all the other Manifestations. I don't love Him as a man, so much as The Glory of God!, the appearance of blinding light into human civilisation, a revelation so potent it wil take us centuries to understand. I feel so passionately in my ardour, that I would remain a Baha'i even if an atheist were able to prove the non-existence of God.

I would strongly advise you to limit your internet-based research. I have found that the web is filled with people of ill-will who will stop at nothing to try to damage other people's belief in Baha'u'llah. I fear that if I had had the Internet in 1993 I might have been too troubled by the slanders and accusations mouthed by enemies of the Faith to actually pursue reading the Writings. As far as I am concerned, full immersion in the Writings is the only proof we need, although we must of course do this with complete detachment from all ego.

You mention Jesus. I would say I feel the same about Jesus as I do about Baha'u'llah. My love for Him is blinding, but also somewhat different to when I was a Christian. I find that I dislike seeing His picture now, and I certainly don't like seeing crucifixes. I avert my eyes! For me Jesus is too glorious and cosmic and holy to be represented as a murdered man. He is a being of light, and when you gaze upon Him with your inward eye you catch a glimpse of infinity, and the essence - God - Who creates it all. His greatest miracle is bringing us closer to God and transforming us into new beings

Consider the almost inconceivable vision Jesus paints of the future time when His spiritual essence will again appear. I think this is why many don't respond to the Baha'i claim: its implications are utterly staggering.

Regarding the wives of Baha'u'llah: that was how it was in His culture. The Baha'i view of marriage wasn't fully established until perhaps the time of Abdul Baha. The principle of progressive revelation must be understood to occur during the scriptural phase of the religion.

I hope this offers some small help. Again, do focus on book-learning and be wary of wolves on the internet!

Zamán

Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
Hello!
I just have to reply to this. Above all, you must read, read, read! I Remember reading Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah when I was 16 during a family holiday. By the time I had finished I was transformed into a new being. The connection that you make with the Manifestation of God is like a father with a newborn child. What no one likes to admit is that the love doesn't always start when the baby is born. For some it can take a year to start but then it becomes the deepest feeling in the father's life. I am now 41 and my love for Baha'u'llah has continued to grow through the decades. It is now almost overpowering. It is He that gives me the connection to all the other Manifestations. I don't love Him as a man, so much as The Glory of God!, the appearance of blinding light into human civilisation, a revelation so potent it wil take us centuries to understand. I feel so passionately in my ardour, that I would remain a Baha'i even if an atheist were able to prove the non-existence of God.

I would strongly advise you to limit your internet-based research. I have found that the web is filled with people of ill-will who will stop at nothing to try to damage other people's belief in Baha'u'llah. I fear that if I had had the Internet in 1993 I might have been too troubled by the slanders and accusations mouthed by enemies of the Faith to actually pursue reading the Writings. As far as I am concerned, full immersion in the Writings is the only proof we need, although we must of course do this with complete detachment from all ego.

You mention Jesus. I would say I feel the same about Jesus as I do about Baha'u'llah. My love for Him is blinding, but also somewhat different to when I was a Christian. I find that I dislike seeing His picture now, and I certainly don't like seeing crucifixes. I avert my eyes! For me Jesus is too glorious and cosmic and holy to be represented as a murdered man. He is a being of light, and when you gaze upon Him with your inward eye you catch a glimpse of infinity, and the essence - God - Who creates it all. His greatest miracle is bringing us closer to God and transforming us into new beings

Consider the almost inconceivable vision Jesus paints of the future time when His spiritual essence will again appear. I think this is why many don't respond to the Baha'i claim: its implications are utterly staggering.

Regarding the wives of Baha'u'llah: that was how it was in His culture. The Baha'i view of marriage wasn't fully established until perhaps the time of Abdul Baha. The principle of progressive revelation must be understood to occur during the scriptural phase of the religion.

I hope this offers some small help. Again, do focus on book-learning and be wary of wolves on the internet!

Zamán
Hello Zaman,

Admittedly, when I first read this thread header I thought it rather odd that anyone would be concerned about loving Baha’u’llah. Mind you, I was never a Christian or any religion before I became a Baha’i at age 17, and I do not recall believing in God, so the concept of loving Jesus is altogether foreign to me, as it the concept of Jesus loving me. I also have issues believing that God loves me, and I really do not feel that God is All-Loving, given all the suffering I see in the world, including my own suffering which has been almost constant...

I have been a Baha’i now over 47 ½ years. I became a Baha’i two weeks after I stumbled upon it as I had no question it was the truth, but that was more because of the teachings than because of God. For many personal reasons, I fell away from the Baha’i Faith for 42 years, and I was angry at God for quite a while, and in January 2013 I stumbled upon the Planet Baha’i forum and that started a whole new journey in my life. I started to learn a lot about the Faith I had not known before and I started to make peace with God. I cannot say I have come that far because I can't say that I love God and most of the time I do not even like God. :(

This journey was mostly intellectual until.... in June 2014 I picked up Gleanings again after many years of not reading it... In fact, I had probably not read it since I first became a Baha’i and I really did not understand it back then... This time I picked it up was after a major life crisis that had brought me to the brink of suicide. I do not know what made me ask my husband for it but he gave it to me and I was reading it on the bus on my way home from work... tears rolled from my eyes, as I realized the import of what I was reading... Baha’u’llah was speaking as God, for God...

Well, suffice to say, my life has not been the same since... I have read it at least five times since and every waking hour of my life when not working is spent proclaiming that Baha’u’llah has come and answering questions if people are interested. I have done all this on forums and continue to do so... I have no time for any Baha’i activities.

There have been so many times I have wondered why I am so compelled but all I have to do is remember what Baha’u’llah wrote in Gleanings; one of many quotes is the following:

“O ye beloved of God! Repose not yourselves on your couches, nay bestir yourselves as soon as ye recognize your Lord, the Creator, and hear of the things which have befallen Him, and hasten to His assistance. Unloose your tongues, and proclaim unceasingly His Cause. This shall be better for you than all the treasures of the past and of the future, if ye be of them that comprehend this truth.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Baha'u'llah, pp. 329-330

Do I take that seriously or just go back to my old life where material world enjoyments mattered to me? Try as in might, I cannot. I just know this Cause is too important. I have neglected many things that I think I should be doing, responsibilities to take care of houses and cars, etc., but I reason that they are just not as important as people.

But lately I have had a crisis of faith and I wonder if any of this really matters. I mostly post to nonbelievers so it has taken its toll on me since I have no contact with any Baha’is except my husband and one Baha’i forum friend. In light of my doubts, I sometimes wonder if I am doing what I am supposed to be doing... How can I really know? I wonder if maybe I am doing this for another reason because I like posting on forums and I meet all kinds of people. It does take my mind off things that are depressing in my life, but that is not a good enough reason to be doing it. I know I am relieved when I do not have any posts to answer, which is a rarity, so maybe this is not what I really want to be doing, but rather what I feel I have to be doing for Baha’u’llah. The subconscious mind can play a lot of tricks on us. ;)

So, the other day I cried out to God, I mean I yelled at Him, asking if I was supposed to keep doing this and the next day I think I got the answer. Unfortunately, the answer was yes but I know I also need to cut down and take care of some matters that are urgent, such as at my rental house... But where I am at is not IN this world anymore...:eek:

But how can we ever really know what God wants us to do; this is a big problem for me. Is this just my ego, me thinking it is God telling me, or is it really inspiration from God? For now, I have conceded to the fact that I cannot know, but I just follow my conscience. Unfortunately, I am feeling really guilty for not doing other things I think I should be doing, but if I abandon the forums I feel guilty about that too. So I am going to try to balance the two and do fewer posts and more chores. I only got this idea last week and it has not been working very well so far, but I will keep trying. :mad:

May 2018
New Zealand
Dear all,
Thank you for your kind support. I am hoping to get hold of the series "The revelations of Ball'ullah' to continue my studies, hopefully with this I can gain a better understanding. . .

Dear Trailblazer,
If I my offer the following from Hidden Words
O SON OF MAN!

I loved thy creation, hence I created thee. Wherefore, do thou love Me, that I may name thy name and fill thy soul with the spirit of life.

#5: Arabic
O SON OF BEING!

Love Me, that I may love thee. If thou lovest Me not, My love can in no wise reach thee. Know this, O servant.