Leave them alone

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
It has been a struggle within myself.
Concerning discussions in Christian or other faith forums.

I read this from stories of the Master.
At one time the Master was asked, ‘What shall I say to those who state that they are satisfied with Christianity and do not need this present Manifestation?’ His reply was clear: ‘Let them alone. What would they do if a former king had reigned and a new king was not seated upon the throne? They must acknowledge the new king, or they are not true subjects of the Kingdom. Last year there was a springtime. Can a man say “I do not need a new springtime this year – the old springtime is enough for me”? No! The new spring must come to fill the earth with beauty and brightness.’ (Honnold, Annamarie, Vignettes from the Life of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, p. 120)
I guess we need to think long and hard as to what and how we say or approach other forums. Wisdom has to be used, the wisdom the master spoke about, I consider I do not have it, and so keep out of other faith forums.

Some appear to succeed, but I also note they cause some anguish to others also.

Maybe my friends can advise me of which is correct or not? Or just discuss the idea of entering other faith forums, and how we need to go about it.

I can understand we need to be tactful and kind, but others still see this in a negative way.

Aug 2014
Blue Planet
It has been a struggle within myself.
Concerning discussions in Christian or other faith forums.

I read this from stories of the Master.

I guess we need to think long and hard as to what and how we say or approach other forums. Wisdom has to be used, the wisdom the master spoke about, I consider I do not have it, and so keep out of other faith forums.

Some appear to succeed, but I also note they cause some anguish to others also.

Maybe my friends can advise me of which is correct or not? Or just discuss the idea of entering other faith forums, and how we need to go about it.

I can understand we need to be tactful and kind, but others still see this in a negative way.
thank you for the insightful quotation :) I don't go to other religions' forums because it gives me a headache to realize that people are not least interested in thinking twice about what they believe. but if a person from another faith wants to discuss something with me, I won't reject because when someone wants to discuss something, I consider it as a God given honor; I love helping others. but then again if I see that that person is trying to bring childish reasons to reject everything, I won't continue (or at least I try not to) :)
I don't go to other faiths' forums as I said but I study other faiths a lot, through books or online information. it is always a help to understand the depth of Baha'i teachings better and better. :)

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
thank you for the insightful quotation :) I don't go to other religions' forums because it gives me a headache to realize that people are not least interested in thinking twice about what they believe. but if a person from another faith wants to discuss something with me, I won't reject because when someone wants to discuss something, I consider it as a God given honor; I love helping others. but then again if I see that that person is trying to bring childish reasons to reject everything, I won't continue (or at least I try not to) :)
I don't go to other faiths' forums as I said but I study other faiths a lot, through books or online information. it is always a help to understand the depth of Baha'i teachings better and better. :)
Quite correct dear friend if someone comes to us, that is totally a different matter, and yes we can strive to answer their questions as best we can.

Loving regards to you

Mar 2013
_
The common sense handing of manners seem to apply too as they would anywhere. Forum moderators typically like to keep things on target. A place for discussing antique automobiles does not need to be aided by a few ardent individuals extorting the pleasures of trainspotting.

I do like the idea of an open spirituality forum like Soul Pancake. I haven't posted anything on there, but it can be a good read.

I used to be on a lot of religion forums, but personally I am afraid that my enthusiasm for the Faith would tend have me stepping over the line and proselytizing.

The message we heard will find its way to others. We are all acquiring information in ways barely dreamed of, before.

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
The common sense handing of manners seem to apply too as they would anywhere. Forum moderators typically like to keep things on target. A place for discussing antique automobiles does not need to be aided by a few ardent individuals extorting the pleasures of trainspotting.

I do like the idea of an open spirituality forum like Soul Pancake. I haven't posted anything on there, but it can be a good read.

I used to be on a lot of religion forums, but personally I am afraid that my enthusiasm for the Faith would tend have me stepping over the line and proselytizing.

The message we heard will find its way to others. We are all acquiring information in ways barely dreamed of, before.
Yes dear friend I like your answer, but keeping things on target can be different from one person to another. I have found on some other faith forums where they encourage interfaith dialog, it is only to a point, and can have some who are interested asking good questions, but have others who only attack and provoke. If we go into more depth explanation can get you banned. I will not say there is biased moderating, but it appears that way.

If say only those interested in information were allowed in the discussion and the other attackers were banned, I would be more at ease.

And yes I tend to keep out of such forums as it is hard to not say something that may offend someone. What is the old saying, you can please some people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time.

Apr 2014
Rome
And I shall not worship that which ye worship. Nor will ye worship that which I worship. Unto you your religion, and unto me my religion.
-Qur'an 109

Jun 2014
United States
And I shall not worship that which ye worship. Nor will ye worship that which I worship. Unto you your religion, and unto me my religion.
-Qur'an 109
This from the supposedly divine document that also advocates that kafirs will burn in hell. :yes:

I think that people do not like to hear from somebody that that which they believe in such deeply held matters is wrong, because they have looked at other faiths the way atheists look at ALL faiths, as not having the evidence or supernatural weight that they need, and after all that investment it's seen as annoying to be challenged. I only state my opinion in real life if asked and I reserve mockery for the Westboro Baptists who are just plain wrong. However, I also personally think the idea of progressive revelation has a good idea that all religions are one but the sharp part of it that I and others can't stomach is the thought that all religious truth is relative yet some are more complete than others. I can also see where that would make Catholics, fundamentalist Christians, Muslims, and other hardcore theists upset.

Last edited:
Oct 2013
Glenwood, Queensland, Australia
Good morning dear friend

As stated by noogan, automobiles vs trainspotting in an automobiles forum.

We can consider how we feel whem someone comes to this forum and does not contribute to the learning of our subjects of interest. Likewise when we go to another Faith's forum, that same concept.

We must be honest, and let them be aware we are Baha'is, and that our own understanding and views are shaped by this Faith. But we do not need to try and teach them about our Faith. We can instead encourage their own learning, help to increase their own understanding. A case of simply presenting another aspect to the point under discussion, nether defending it nor promoting it, letting the members of that frum choose their own direction.

Any that show an interest in the Faith can be sent here, if necessary, that no angst is caused in the other forum. This keeps both forums on their own subject matter, reduces angst, and demonstrates our own acceptance of the Manifestation Whom they follow, while at the same time giving examples of views that they may not have otherwise considered, support and encouragement in all areas of learning, and the possibility that they, or some of them, may develop some interest in this Faith and how It views matters.

All done with honesty, openness, and love.

With my warmest greetings

Romane

Jul 2014
colorado/summer-Oklahoma/winter
Consort with all men, O people of Baha', in a spirit of friendliness and fellowship. If ye be aware of a certain truth, if ye possess a jewel, of which others are deprived, share it with them in a language of utmost kindness and goodwill. If it be accepted, if it fulfill its purpose, your object is attained. If anyone should refuse it, leave him unto himself, and beseech God to guide him. Beware lest ye deal unkindly with him. A kindly tongue is the lodestone of the hearts of men. It is the bread of the spirit; it clotheth the words with meaning; it is the fountain of the light of wisdom and understanding....

Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah

Last edited: