Leave them alone

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
Good morning dear friend

As stated by noogan, automobiles vs trainspotting in an automobiles forum.

We can consider how we feel whem someone comes to this forum and does not contribute to the learning of our subjects of interest. Likewise when we go to another Faith's forum, that same concept.

We must be honest, and let them be aware we are Baha'is, and that our own understanding and views are shaped by this Faith. But we do not need to try and teach them about our Faith. We can instead encourage their own learning, help to increase their own understanding. A case of simply presenting another aspect to the point under discussion, nether defending it nor promoting it, letting the members of that frum choose their own direction.

Any that show an interest in the Faith can be sent here, if necessary, that no angst is caused in the other forum. This keeps both forums on their own subject matter, reduces angst, and demonstrates our own acceptance of the Manifestation Whom they follow, while at the same time giving examples of views that they may not have otherwise considered, support and encouragement in all areas of learning, and the possibility that they, or some of them, may develop some interest in this Faith and how It views matters.

All done with honesty, openness, and love.

With my warmest greetings

Romane
Yes dear friend, very wisely said.

I feel that in forums we tend to respond too quickly at times, it needs more thought and meditation before a follow up response.
Just my feeling but to sleep on the others response before writing your own may be a good idea.

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
"We have only to refer to the warnings uttered by ‘Abdu’l-Bahá in order to realize the extent and character of the forces that are destined to contest with God’s holy Faith."

"His parting message to the cousin of the Báb, uttered these prophetic and ominous words: “How great, how very great is the Cause! How very fierce the onslaught of all the peoples and kindreds of the earth. Ere long shall the clamor of the multitude throughout Africa, throughout America, the cry of the European and of the Turk, the groaning of India and China, be heard from far and near. One and all, they shall arise with all their power to resist His Cause. Then shall the knights of the Lord, assisted by His grace from on high, strengthened by faith, aided by the power of understanding, and reinforced by the legions of the Covenant, arise and make manifest the truth of the verse:
‘Behold the confusion that hath befallen the tribes of the defeated!’

Shoghi Effendi, The World Order of Baha'u'llah, p 17
Yes dear Josh, all very true.
But how are we to act within other forums? Is it correct to enter other forums knowing the reaction?

I say this even though I have seen an occasional wonderful response in other forums, so there can be a positive. But to gain one positive we stir up many in opposition, is this good or not, just wondering.

Nov 2012
Florida
But how are we to act within other forums? Is it correct to enter other forums knowing the reaction?

I say this even though I have seen an occasional wonderful response in other forums, so there can be a positive. But to gain one positive we stir up many in opposition, is this good or not, just wondering.
(my opinion) The temptation is to 'let 'er rip', (I've been guilty of this):tape: but we know we've been instructed to do otherwise. The House of Justice seconds a Nationals' suggestion to use quotes from the Writings as much as possible when making your point. Many watching from the sidelines, so to speak, are the ones who will view the interactions, and hopefully see things that may move their hearts.

[Notes:
As this letter was written in 1988, it preceded the invention of the World Wide Web by about 3 years; the "electronic forums" at the time were email, the Usenet, and Bulletin Board Systems (BBSs).
Mirrored with permission from bahai-faith.manvell.org.uk.]

by Universal House of Justice
To Individual Bahá'ís in the United States
8 December, 1988

Dear Bahá'í Friends

The House of Justice.... feels that your National Assembly has been wise in suggesting the use of quotations to minimise personal interpretations in presenting the tenets of the Faith. Given the relative anonymity of this form of teaching, the House of Justice would further encourage you to remain mindful of the potentially large audience which the forums involve and of 'Abdu'l-Bahá's counsel to "be wary of disputation". In this connection, we are instructed to provide the following quotation from a letter dated 29 November 1937, written on behalf of the beloved Guardian to an individual believer.

" ... refrain, under any circumstances, from involving yourselves, much less the Cause, in lengthy discussions of a controversial character, as these, besides being fruitless actually cause incalculable harm to the Faith. Bahá'u'lláh has repeatedly urged us not to engage in religious controversies, as the adepts of former religions have done. The Bahá'í teacher should be concerned above all in presenting the Message, in explaining and clarifying all its aspects ... He should avoid all situations that, he feels, would lead to strife, to hair-splitting and interminable discussions."

Jul 2014
colorado/summer-Oklahoma/winter
(my opinion) The temptation is to 'let 'er rip', (I've been guilty of this):tape: but we know we've been instructed to do otherwise. The House of Justice seconds a Nationals' suggestion to use quotes from the Writings as much as possible when making your point. Many watching from the sidelines, so to speak, are the ones who will view the interactions, and hopefully see things that may move their hearts.

[Notes:
As this letter was written in 1988, it preceded the invention of the World Wide Web by about 3 years; the "electronic forums" at the time were email, the Usenet, and Bulletin Board Systems (BBSs).

8 December, 1988

Dear Bahá'í Friends

The House of Justice.... feels that your National Assembly has been wise in suggesting the use of quotations to minimise personal interpretations in presenting the tenets of the Faith. Given the relative anonymity of this form of teaching, the House of Justice would further encourage you to remain mindful of the potentially large audience which the forums involve and of 'Abdu'l-Bahá's counsel to "be wary of disputation". In this connection, we are instructed to provide the following quotation from a letter dated 29 November 1937, written on behalf of the beloved Guardian to an individual believer.

" ... refrain, under any circumstances, from involving yourselves, much less the Cause, in lengthy discussions of a controversial character, as these, besides being fruitless actually cause incalculable harm to the Faith. Bahá'u'lláh has repeatedly urged us not to engage in religious controversies, as the adepts of former religions have done. The Bahá'í teacher should be concerned above all in presenting the Message, in explaining and clarifying all its aspects ... He should avoid all situations that, he feels, would lead to strife, to hair-splitting and interminable discussions."
That, Josh, is quite clear....thank you!

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile

[Notes:

8 December, 1988

Dear Bahá'í Friends

Dear Josh

Yes I fully emphasize with you my friend in what you say. One reason I have mainly withdrawn from these other forums.

And thank you for the quote from the UHJ, a most interesting and I feel good explanation of what we need to avoid. I will keep this quote by me, if in the future I venture again into other forums. Thank you.

Jul 2011
n ireland
Surely other religious fora are like ourselves, individuals devoted to their faith? That being a given, I don't see much to be gained by getting into rhetoric as it's likely to lead to an accusation of either assault or proselytism

Jan 2012
China
Bill, as I see it, what matters, in deciding whether to go into those forums, is not how other people react to you, but how you react to them. If you have adverse reactions to their reactions to you, then I think you're right to stay away from them.

What I would like to see is Baha'is setting an example for others, of practicing fellowship across religious divides, especially with people who might see their views diverging the most from ours. Atheists, and Bible-waving Christians for example. By fellowship, I mean for example friendly conversations about things that interest them, learning from them, and looking for ways to collaborate with them on common interests.

Last edited:
Jan 2012
China
My interest in practicing fellowship across religious divides was made more explicit, and intensified, in my study of "One Common Faith." Here are some of my thoughts that grew out of that:

Racial and national prejudices have largely lost their credibility as excuses for wars between nations, but religious prejudices are still being used shamelessly and increasingly for that purpose. One way I see to help remedy that is by practicing and promoting fellowship across religious and other ideological divides.

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
Bill, as I see it, what matters, in deciding whether to go into those forums, is not how other people react to you, but how you react to them. If you have adverse reactions to their reactions to you, then I think you're right to stay away from them.

What I would like to see is Baha'is setting an example for others, of practicing fellowship across religious divides, especially with people who might see their views diverging the most from ours. Atheists, and Bible-waving Christians for example. By fellowship, I mean for example friendly conversations about things that interest them, learning from them, and looking for ways to collaborate with them on common interests.
Dear Jim
Thank you for your thoughts.
And yes how we re-act is the most important. I tend to fall back on what Abdul-Baha said "you walk your path and I will walk mine" when conversations gets confrontational. As many things some people say have no basis in fact, for me, and I get a little upset with nonsense.
So yes I tend to stay out of such forums.