Leave them alone

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
Bill, as I see it, what matters, in deciding whether to go into those forums, is not how other people react to you, but how you react to them. If you have adverse reactions to their reactions to you, then I think you're right to stay away from them.

What I would like to see is Baha'is setting an example for others, of practicing fellowship across religious divides, especially with people who might see their views diverging the most from ours. Atheists, and Bible-waving Christians for example. By fellowship, I mean for example friendly conversations about things that interest them, learning from them, and looking for ways to collaborate with them on common interests.
Just wished to comment on what you say here Jim, about how we react.

I must say that Some Baha'is have this ability to show love and patience, and I have seen people react in a most wonderful way, telling their own members to be more polite. And in a couple of cases it prompted them to investigate the Baha'i faith more deeply.

So yes how we react to people in other forums has a great effect, if handled in a Baha'i manner.

Thank you Jim.

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
I have been thinking over this subject about leaving them alone who are happy with their faith and see no reason to change.
Something I find strange, because for me, I consider it an obligation to accept the new Messenger of God, if such a claim is made I am compelled to investigate with honesty and no bias, of the teachings and actions.

I consider that in discussion if a person says to me that they are happy with their own faith and see no reason to change then this is the time to withdraw and wish them well. Of course that is in other forums, if a person comes into a Baha'i forum then we are to engage in discussion of course with respect and love, but as this is our forum we can explain our beliefs in full without fear. If the other says things that are not correct or attacks the faith then yes we are to explain to the other person what we consider is true or false, and leave it to them whether there response will be the same as our's with respect.

Of course if the other person wishes to malign, abuse etc, we should withdraw from the conversation in a respectful manner.

Jul 2014
US
Are discussions like this one common at larger Baha'i gatherings? Whatever "larger" means, in your area, ofc. Is it an issue with a pulse, one that comes up often, one that invariably arises - or one that isn't directly addressed very often, or doesn't occur often but is very directly dressed when it occurs etc etc etc?
(feel free to reword it however you see it -those above were just examples)

Not really wondering about the basis of baha'i thought -on- the issue, more about the status of the issue itself as perceived by y'all -from within the community-. Anybody got insight?

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
Are discussions like this one common at larger Baha'i gatherings? Whatever "larger" means, in your area, ofc. Is it an issue with a pulse, one that comes up often, one that invariably arises - or one that isn't directly addressed very often, or doesn't occur often but is very directly dressed when it occurs etc etc etc?
(feel free to reword it however you see it -those above were just examples)

Not really wondering about the basis of baha'i thought -on- the issue, more about the status of the issue itself as perceived by y'all -from within the community-. Anybody got insight?
Dear friend, such a topic may arise with a person asking a question of others in general, yes. But is not the norm, within a community with a local Spiritual Assembly, the person would be more inclined to ask the Assembly, as they would more likely give a well balanced and investigated answer from the Writings. As another individuals response is only that, the idea of the individual, and has no authority.

Jul 2011
n ireland
Some of our most insightful thoughts come as a result of confrontation by non-believers and sceptics. We would be a lesser forum if we were merely a talking shop for Baha'is