Let's get real about this religion and God thing

Sep 2010
Chapel Hill
Let’s get real with ourselves about this religion and God thing. Why are we attracted to religion or the idea of God? Is it to satisfy an intellectual curiosity, so we can acquire more knowledge, more answers, and thus feel better about ourselves, better equipped to confront others in our battle for acceptance and validation in life? Or is there an emptiness inside that generates a genuine heart-felt inquiry into the meaning of life and our existence? Or is it a sense of real alienation, an awareness that somehow all of life is false, and we are caught in a façade, always attempting to prove and justify our worth to others? Do we want release from the constant work of upholding an image for others that we use to drown out the pain, the fear, and guilt raging below?

Perhaps it is something we follow because it is what we were taught as children by our parents, and it is just part of our identity. Or maybe we believe it will give us power or position in life; or we feel by joining a religion and performing the rituals it will expiate our sins, release us from our guilt, and remove our pain. :unsure

Sep 2010
New Zealand
People can be attracted to both views, Atheism or theism. That being said, I would hope most would believe in God because they have a decent reason.

Sep 2010
Pago Pago
I think that the basic choice of belief that most of us make concerns the existence of God. I choose to believe that there is a God. This is because I choose to believe there is a reason for living and without God I can comprehend no reason. I cannot comprehend God but I can comprehend the teachings of men who claim to be the voices revealing God's virtues and purpose. I listen to the most recent voice. I expect no other in this lifetime.

Sep 2010
New Zealand
In honest opinion sam I think that is a bad reason to believe in God, simply because you seem to want a reason for living? Thats forcing God to exist in your mind which I feel undermines God. There are other reasons to believe in God, the most convincing for me personally being the first mover argument.

bwb

Aug 2010
earth
I conceive of the Baha'i Faith as a very powerful tool for making the world a better place, and something that helps me to be a better person. Compassion on other human beings is a large part of what connects me to religious faith. I could not abandon my faith without hurting, and letting down and alienating other people, including my fellow Baha'is. I also conceive of God's religions, and the Baha'i Faith especially, as something that gives me hope for, and the means to accomplish something that I long for, which is true and everlasting (divine, spiritual) love, that I can plant the seeds of in this life, and then experience more fully after death.

Last edited:
Jul 2010
Indiana
There are a number of factors that go into an individual belief in a deity. Are we using God in the sense of a monotheistic God or God as a vague word for a higher power or a power that is greater than ourselves?

I would not say that the primary reason for a belief in God is because of some need to exist. Belief in God is so engrained in many cultures already. Many believe in God, as Orthodox said, because He is a primary mover. Evolution and abiogenesis fail to address what caused everything in the first place.

I would post more, but there is school to go to! I'll add more later...

Sep 2010
Canada
Let’s get real with ourselves about this religion and God thing. Why are we attracted to religion or the idea of God?

Perhaps it is something we follow because it is what we were taught as children by our parents, and it is just part of our identity. Or maybe we believe it will give us power or position in life; or we feel by joining a religion and performing the rituals it will expiate our sins, release us from our guilt, and remove our pain. :unsure
I really don't think so, even though the factors you list certainly account for much of the mimicry, self-promoting hypocrisy, and superstitions that often characterize and determine our religious affiliations.

I think it's actually an inherent aspect of being "created in the image of God" and see it as a very natural 'soul prompting' that causes us to pause and reflect beyond the mundane materialism of 'where is my next meal coming from?' and respond to 'different hunger' inside of us that also needs to be fed. Perhaps an 'internal homing device' prompting our E.T. to "call home".

Last edited:
Dec 2009
United States
In the Short Obligatory Prayer, it is said that we were created to know and worship God. Also, I remember reading somewhere that every atom of the universe was created so that we may become spiritually closer to God. So I think there is an innate need, not just a want, to seek ways in which we may become closer to God and strive to fulfill our purpose. However, outside factors play roles as well.

Sep 2010
Pago Pago
Orthodox:
Thanks for your honest opinion. It's nice to communicate with honest people. Please explain how my being attracted to there being a reason for living undermines God. God is infinite and my finite grey matter will never comprehend God. According to my belief God is All-Powerful which means nothing can undermine Her.

Sep 2010
Canada
God is infinite and my finite grey matter will never comprehend God. According to my belief God is All-Powerful which means nothing can undermine Her.
:lol:lol:lol
God bless you Sam! I think you may have just unintentionally unveiled the mystery of why there are no women on the Universal House of Justice!:wub:wub:wub
I think it's time to change my profile pic ....