Let's get real about this religion and God thing

Sep 2010
USA
lol. ^

Comprehending God is like trying to think of a new color that isn't already a shade of another color. We can try as hard as you may but we don't have the ability.

Sep 2010
New Zealand
Sam, you want God to exist and therefore believe him, this undermines who god is by making him a product of your imagination. God is distinct and different from humanity and is not bound by our thoughts, so as I said there are much better reasons to believe in the existence of God, and if you simply believe because you want to believe, I must question the legitamancy of your faith. Faith is not without reason, you must have some sort of coherrent reason other than wanting God to exist. For if we determine that wanting something to exist is enough reason for us to believe in it, perhaps we should say the atheist is valid in thinking its more beneficial for God not to exist for then there would be no limitations on humanity, no morality, no nothing. it doesn't make them true. Find a better basis for your belief in god, Like the ressurection or the first cause argument.

Sep 2010
Pago Pago
Sam, you want God to exist and therefore believe him, this undermines who god is by making him a product of your imagination.
Our understandings of God are products of our imagination based on our faiths and their teachings. No-one has seen God or comprehends God. Even the Manifestations had limited knowledge and could only reveal what God allowed them to reveal.

Let's get this straight in your mind. I choose to believe there is a reason for living so there must be a God, to give us that reason. I do not think in is my prerogative to judge why you believe what you believe or for you to judge me by stating I undermine an infinite power, which you seem to like to refer to as the first cause.

Sep 2010
New Zealand
The understanding of God should not be one of human thinking, that means you place your own understanding on God, it should be revelation by which God reveals himself, and he has revealed himself in the person of Jesus Christ, thus the ideas I as a Christian have of God originate from JEsus and the people who knew him best, the apostles. So no, the imagination is not how we view God, if this were the case you have have thousands of Gods with thousands more contradictory attributes. Say Gods A and B have application D, while gods C and E reject this application. But then there other factors to consider. Thus it could not be One God, it is the God of everyones imagination. So Wanting God to exist through your extensive imagination is a terrible way of having a basis of Faith in God. I urge you to read the five arguments of Thomas Aquainas, just as a starting point, then go read some real philosophy, get out of this false new agey philosophy you have aquired. It is not rational.

And yes I consider your belief in God an undermining of sorts. An undermining to God and much better arguments postulated. So I want to analyse your belief.

You believe in a reason for existence and thus this means you believe God is the reason for this existence. This begs the question why do you believe theres a reason for existence? I believe you said it before that you want to believe it and thus believe God as a result. There are many flaws in this system of justifying your belief. But perhaps you aren't trying to justify it, perhaps you are happy believing in this ignorant view of things, thats fine, so perhaps you should either confront your logic or simply avoid me.

Now I will admit I was exceedingly harsh in those two paragraphs, but for good reason, there are much better reasons to believe God exists, and if you ever wanted to show someone who did not believe in God that God exists (and thus unify them to you) you would be laughed at, and I wouldn't blame the atheist.

That being said, its not about perogative, its about right. I have the right to judge your belief in God, as you do mine. I could posit two main arguments as to why I believe in the existence of God and post many vids, it wouldn't be that difficult and you could object to them if you felt the need. If you don't. Thats your choice. But its my choice to show you there are better reasons for believing God exists.

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
Let’s get real with ourselves about this religion and God thing. Why are we attracted to religion or the idea of God?
Lets face it :D I there is a God your question is answered :D

The reason why we are created is to Know and to Love God, this capacity is given to every soul, scriptures confirm.

Some partake of this capacity and some do not - it is the reason why we are attracted, it is part of us :D

Cheers Tony

Oct 2010
Phoenix, AZ
My reason for believing is that I cannot conceive of there being no overall guidance or plan for worldly pursuits. I acknowledge that religion is our primary civilizing factor, and appreciate and wish to further this based on a perceived obligation on my part. It is not about a purpose for living, that is unimportant as I am already here, it is about doing my part to improve myself and others while I am here. I cannot perceive of god at all, but evolution teaches that as a people we will continue to improve, I believe what we know of as god is what guides us in the small term to make those decisions that have to this point culminated in the image you see in the mirror. So far I like his plan, and wish to participate as he sees fit to further it. I believe if there was no grand design that we'd never have gotten to this point, the randomness and luck of what evolution suggests cannot for me adequately explain our current nature.

Further, I have always seen benefits to the worlds religions, and greatly identify with the Baha'i belief that they are interwoven - conveying the same messages in terms their audience would most identify with. I also believe Baha'i is extremely timely in world history, we had begun participating in a smaller world, being able to converse with vastly differing cultures and peoples far more easily. It coincided with many communications systems, including the internet, and thus it was time to unify the prophetic teachings of a time where such engagement wasn't feasible. The only barriers in todays world are the barriers erected by that individual out of ignorance or prejudice.

I hope I live the see the day when stubbornness ceases, and everyone sees the logic in this message. I don't believe it is important to transfer to Baha'i Faith utterly to comprehend this, and I see the realization of a lot of the texts already coming to pass. I do, however, believe there will never be true peace among humans until we recognize the validity of all religion and stop bickering around this subject. Spirituality is a very personal pursuit that we have no right to judge others on, too many have died through history over such minor details as which son of Abraham was the favorite. It needs to stop!

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
The understanding of God should not be one of human thinking
Totally agreed - The understanding of God is given by all the prophets - Baha'u'llah being the Son come in the Glory of the Father.

it should be revelation by which God reveals himself
Totally agree - God reveals Himself through the prophets Baha'u'llah being the one to guide us to all truth

and he has revealed himself in the person of Jesus Christ
Totally agree - And through other Prophets like Muhammad, the Bab and Baha'u'llah

thus the ideas I as a Christian have of God originate from JEsus and the people who knew him best, the apostles
Totally agree - We likewise have knowledge of God from Baha'u'llah - the same knowledge Christ gave given back to us in its full splendor.

Its nice to agree on all these subjects :cool

Cheers Tony