Letters B and E were Joined and Knit together

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
I had an interesting question posted the other night at a Ruhi Book 6 Class.

We were contemplating creation and this particular verse which is mentioned a few times in the Scriptures in different places one being the Long Obligatory Prayer.

The Question asked was does this have the same meaning in English or has some of the meaning been lost in the translation. For instance in the original language is it just two letters that translate to B & E or ? (Is there a wider meaning).

I thought someone with the knowledge of it in the original form might like to offer advice.

Regards Tony

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
I had an interesting question posted the other night at a Ruhi Book 6 Class.

We were contemplating creation and this particular verse which is mentioned a few times in the Scriptures in different places one being the Long Obligatory Prayer.

The Question asked was does this have the same meaning in English or has some of the meaning been lost in the translation. For instance in the original language is it just two letters that translate to B & E or ? (Is there a wider meaning).

I thought someone with the knowledge of it in the original form might like to offer advice.

Regards Tony
Well thanks for the net - just did some wrong searches to start off with -

This is the answer

Bahá'í Reference Library - The Kitáb-i-Aqdas, Page 247

188. the letters B and E were joined and knit together # 177

Shoghi Effendi, in letters written on his behalf, has explained the significance of the “letters B and E”. They constitute the word “Be”, which, he states, “means the creative Power of God Who through His command causes all things to come into being” and “the power of the Manifestation of God, His great spiritual creative force”.

The imperative “Be” in the original Arabic is the word “kun”, consisting of the two letters “káf” and “nún”. They have been translated by Shoghi Effendi in the above manner. This word has been used in the Qur’án as God’s bidding calling creation into being.

2 letters = creation - Quite a mindful really :happy:

Regards Tony