Living the Baha'i life/ man's purpose

Sep 2010
Louisiana
"It is our spiritualized behavior that presents to the rest of the world the most tangible evidence that the Baha'i community will indeed be able to carry forward an ever-advancing cilvization. That is precisely why Baha'u'llah says the best way to teach is to live the life....Those who manage to live the life become like a magnet that attracts everyone to the divine purpose for which they were created. When those who are attracted come in touch with their own purpose, they become acquainted with their own reality. When they know their own reality, their lives are infused with meaning....they become happy and joyful beings. Although happiness is not necessarily the main object of life, The Universal House of Justice has told us that, fundamentally Baha'is should be happy beings. We have no hope of ever being happy if we do not know what we have been created for.

There is yet another dimension to the nature of our purpose in its relation to our relaity. Although we inherently possess the cpapcity to love, there is much knowledge to be gained about love. As Baha'is we have to know not only how to lover everyone but also how to be loved. This we can accomplish by becoming more lovable. If one of our purposes is to love others and if we are unlovable, we will constantly be frustrating other people's attempts to fulfill their purpose. Nobody likes to have his efforts to fulfill his purpose frustrated. Even though he may not understand all of this, he will feel it and react to it. Therefore we should make it easy for others to love us. The only sure way to becoe lovable is to acquire virtues." p. 26 and 27 THE MEANING OF DEEPENING

Simply stated the purpose of life is to know and love God and to develop spiritually.

Last edited:
Jan 2011
Canada
Cire perdue...purpose of life...

"...As Baha'is we have to know not only how to lover everyone but also how to be loved. This we can accomplish by becoming more lovable. If one of our purposes is to love others and if we are unlovable, we will constantly be frustrating other people's attempts to fulfill their purpose. Nobody likes to have his efforts to fulfill his purpose frustrated. Even though he may not understand all of this, he will feel it and react to it. Therefore we should make it easy for others to love us...."

Your words remind me of my relation with my mother. Much of it -especially the early years - was a tremendous struggle. I would have describe her as a very difficult person to love. I wanted to love her but always felt rebuffed and hurt. And her always claiming no one loved her. Yet, I am becoming intensely aware of late, of a duality - the personality of a person on the one hand and this thing I can only describe as an inner vision of the person. Its like the person separated from their personality and that part is shiny and so very easy to fall in love with. It began to happen with me first in relationship with my mother. We are very close now. Sometimes I see this inner person so intensely it can make me weep. My mother has serious health issues now but despite the difficulties the more I see this 'inner person' the easier she and I communicate. We seem to understand each other without words - which is amazing as her mental faculties are failing. I would say our love of God has become the bridge.

But what strikes me most is that by my being willing to open up to love....believing that I am loved/lovable by God, and actually connecting to it emotionally, not just intellectually, I am opening myself to being more loving to others. I feel it. And then I share it. In a way my mother's struggle with failing memory has helped me. I've always judged myself by not being a real book-smart person. I hated school and had a hard time learning. I struggle with memory and I know its getting worse. Watching her fail and seeing her anger and such lashing out - I expected to react to my own memories of childhood. Instead, I feel the most intense love for her and I find myself forgiving myself for the same anger, the same failings, and recognizing that I don't have to be smart to be able to love. I don't need a memory to be loving. In fact, its easier without!! I don't have to be anything but willing to love God, be open to His love for me, trust in Him and to reflect that.

Thank you for your closing words Cire Perdue: "Simply stated the purpose of life is to know and love God and to develop spiritually. "

Amen

Blessings

Dec 2010
Australia
"...As Baha'is we have to know not only how to lover everyone but also how to be loved. This we can accomplish by becoming more lovable. If one of our purposes is to love others and if we are unlovable, we will constantly be frustrating other people's attempts to fulfill their purpose. Nobody likes to have his efforts to fulfill his purpose frustrated. Even though he may not understand all of this, he will feel it and react to it. Therefore we should make it easy for others to love us...."

Your words remind me of my relation with my mother. Much of it -especially the early years - was a tremendous struggle. I would have describe her as a very difficult person to love. I wanted to love her but always felt rebuffed and hurt. And her always claiming no one loved her. Yet, I am becoming intensely aware of late, of a duality - the personality of a person on the one hand and this thing I can only describe as an inner vision of the person. Its like the person separated from their personality and that part is shiny and so very easy to fall in love with. It began to happen with me first in relationship with my mother. We are very close now. Sometimes I see this inner person so intensely it can make me weep. My mother has serious health issues now but despite the difficulties the more I see this 'inner person' the easier she and I communicate. We seem to understand each other without words - which is amazing as her mental faculties are failing. I would say our love of God has become the bridge.

But what strikes me most is that by my being willing to open up to love....believing that I am loved/lovable by God, and actually connecting to it emotionally, not just intellectually, I am opening myself to being more loving to others. I feel it. And then I share it. In a way my mother's struggle with failing memory has helped me. I've always judged myself by not being a real book-smart person. I hated school and had a hard time learning. I struggle with memory and I know its getting worse. Watching her fail and seeing her anger and such lashing out - I expected to react to my own memories of childhood. Instead, I feel the most intense love for her and I find myself forgiving myself for the same anger, the same failings, and recognizing that I don't have to be smart to be able to love. I don't need a memory to be loving. In fact, its easier without!! I don't have to be anything but willing to love God, be open to His love for me, trust in Him and to reflect that.

Thank you for your closing words Cire Perdue: "Simply stated the purpose of life is to know and love God and to develop spiritually. "

Amen

Blessings
Wow. I have adopted the philosofy of people who hurt me to "stuff em"! in my family. Not very Bahai?
If I imagine a mother who hurt me then demands me to love her I would definately by on my own road which would not include her along the way!
I admire your ability to have reached this higher level. It is something I may never be able to do...

Jan 2011
Canada
re love, and healing....

...the thing is, I can't claim to have done anything except to faithfully give over to prayer and meditation. I wanted to be a better person. I felt terrible feeling such anger growing up and all I really did was get to a place of truly wanting to be free of it. I recognized I was powerless to do it on my own - so the credit I don't feel goes to me. To me it shows that our relationship is with a Living God. And the power of giving over to His Will. Also the power of not remaining stuck in self judgment but trusting in God. that is where my healing is coming from. My battle has always been with remaining steadfast, not losing my faith. I know that know and always ask for that strength....

Dec 2009
United States
"[H]appiness is not necessarily the main object of life"

I think that, in a sense, spiritual happiness (not just any happiness) is the main object of man's life. If one is spiritually happy, then he or she must be spiritually close to God. Isn't that ultimately what life's purpose is?

"Man is, in reality, a spiritual being, and only when he lives in the spirit is he truly happy."

- `Abdu'l-Bahá, Paris Talks, page 70-ish