Long Obligatory Prayer..Please help..

Dec 2010
Pittsburgh
This is what I recite daily. I have memorized it, and love this prayer. Although I get caught up on two parts.. It would be wonderful if my fellow Bahai's guide me to the right direction regarding these matters..

In the passage.. "O God, my God! Look not upon my hopes and my doings, nay rather look upon Thy will that hath encompassed the heavens and the earth"

I get stirred up on "my hopes and doings"... I sometimes pause and say (I hope all is well), because all my hopes are good hopes.. For instance, I hope my family and friends are well and do well, and I hope I be successful, and healthy...I dont have bad hopes, I never intend to. I dont understand.. Please guide me to the right direction, bahai's with experience and whats not.

In the passage.. "O God, my God! My back is bowed by the burden of my sins, and my heedlessness hath destroyed me. Whenever I ponder my evil doings and Thy benevolence, my heart melteth within me, and my blood boileth in my veins"... This as well gets me a little stirred.. I mean, I dont have like to "ponder" "evil doings".. I mean, I dont get it.. we all sin, and may god have mercy on us, but as a bahai, i dont ever want to ponder evil doings, ever.. so.. its like.. umm.. i dont know... Again, if you can guide me it would be awesome..

Allah u abaha.

Mar 2011
us
This is how I've understood these aspects. As for our hopes and wishes I'll use an example hopefully it'll make it clearer. Let's say I hope and wish for my success in my line of work so that I can become a good father, husband and a great contributing Baha'i and citizen of my respective country and community. Now there is nothing wrong with that right? However, that which we see and comprehend about life and the future events are indeed what a blind man sees, complete darkness. We are to pray for God's Will to happen having full faith that He is indeed the All-Knowing, the All-Wise Who knows what is best for us, in this world and the next!

The second part is, "whenever I ponder 'my' evil doings" meaning the evil which we have committed in the past whether it be ages ago or moments earlier. It does not mean that we do ponder or intent on doing evil things. Baha'u'llah mentions in one of the prayers that even His chosen Ones ask for forgiveness and mercy from God, now how can we be so perfect so as to insinuate that we have not done anything wrong!

Another member in another thread asked when to ask for forgiveness. My answer would be every single time that we pray.

Jun 2006
California
In the passage.. "O God, my God! Look not upon my hopes and my doings, nay rather look upon Thy will that hath encompassed the heavens and the earth"

In the passage.. "O God, my God! My back is bowed by the burden of my sins, and my heedlessness hath destroyed me. Whenever I ponder my evil doings and Thy benevolence, my heart melteth within me, and my blood boileth in my veins"..

Both of the above passages relate to our humility before God in my view which is a proper attitude (of humility) to have in prayer.

Dec 2010
Pittsburgh

In the passage.. "O God, my God! My back is bowed by the burden of my sins, and my heedlessness hath destroyed me. Whenever I ponder my evil doings and Thy benevolence, my heart melteth within me, and my blood boileth in my veins"..

Both of the above passages relate to our humility before God in my view which is a proper attitude (of humility) to have in prayer.
Can you please elaborate more...

Jun 2006
California
Can you please elaborate more...
I think when I recite the long obligatory prayer and recall those sections you cited it reminds me to be humble and evanescent... :)

It's part of our "conversation with God" that each of us can have...

Last edited:
Dec 2010
Pittsburgh
This is how I've understood these aspects. As for our hopes and wishes I'll use an example hopefully it'll make it clearer. Let's say I hope and wish for my success in my line of work so that I can become a good father, husband and a great contributing Baha'i and citizen of my respective country and community. Now there is nothing wrong with that right? However, that which we see and comprehend about life and the future events are indeed what a blind man sees, complete darkness. We are to pray for God's Will to happen having full faith that He is indeed the All-Knowing, the All-Wise Who knows what is best for us, in this world and the next!

The second part is, "whenever I ponder 'my' evil doings" meaning the evil which we have committed in the past whether it be ages ago or moments earlier. It does not mean that we do ponder or intent on doing evil things. Baha'u'llah mentions in one of the prayers that even His chosen Ones ask for forgiveness and mercy from God, now how can we be so perfect so as to insinuate that we have not done anything wrong!

Another member in another thread asked when to ask for forgiveness. My answer would be every single time that we pray.
This kinda makes sense.. I mean, I hope all is well for everybody and myself.. Therefore, I dont know what will happen in the future and wish my family and friends the best..

But why would we ask god to "not look upon" this... I understand about our doings, because, in theory, we are all sinners..

Although I do understand about the passage "ponder my evil doings".. I try to and will forget the past, and look towards the future.. But I understand.. The sins we committed in the past.. it makes my heart melteth within me.. which makes sense.. because we cant change what happened.. but we would like forgiveness for it, and move forward and forget what we have done..