Love

Jun 2009
earth
"Know thou of a certainty that Love is the secret of God's holy Dispensation, the manifestation of the All-Merciful, the fountain of spiritual outpourings. Love is heaven's kindly light, the Holy Spirit's eternal breath that vivifieth the human soul. Love is the cause of God's revelation unto man, the vital bond inherent, in accordance with the divine creation, in the realities of things. Love is the one means that ensureth true felicity both in this world and the next. Love is the light that guideth in darkness, the living link that uniteth God with man, that assureth the progress of every illumined soul. Love is the most great law that ruleth this mighty and heavenly cycle, the unique power that bindeth together the divers elements of this material world, the supreme magnetic force that directeth the movements of the spheres in the celestial realms. Love revealeth with unfailing and limitless power the mysteries latent in the universe. Love is the spirit of life unto the adorned body of mankind, the establisher of true civilization in this mortal world, and the shedder of imperishable glory upon every high-aiming race and nation."

(Abdu'l-Baha, Selections from the Writings of Abdu'l-Baha, p. 27)

Jul 2014
colorado/summer-Oklahoma/winter
Love really says it all!! It is the driving force behind life itself! Whenever I read that writing of Abdu'l-Baha', and I read it quite often, I can literally feel the connection to our world and all that lies within it and to the Abha' Kingdom. Immerse yourselves in love; feel it, express it, show it, do it, live it!

Warmest loving regards,
Becky

Last edited:
Oct 2014
Stockholm
But I'm suspicious of love - not of love in its purest form, but of love as practiced, because it's so often coupled with aggression - aggression towards those who don't share our conception of love, towards those whose ability to love is clouded by problems. How often don't we see the loving exclude the less loving in order to maintain their level of love and harmony undisturbed?

That's why I often say that it is better to practice tolerance towards everyone than to practice a love that is quickly withdrawn when it meets resistance.

gnat

Jul 2014
Be ye helpers of every victim of oppression, the patrons of the disadvantaged. Think ye at all times of rendering some service to every member of the human race. Pay ye no need to aversion or rejection, to disdain, hostility injustice: act ye in the opposite way. Be ye sincerely kind, not in appearance only. Let each one of God's loved ones center his attention on this: to be the Lord's mercy to man; to be the Lord's grace. Let him do some good to every person whose path he crosseth, and be of some benefit to him. Let him improve the character of each and all, and reorient the minds of men. In this way, the light of divine guidance will shine forth, and the blessings of God will cradle all mankind: for love is light, no matter
in what abode it dwelleth; and hate is darkness, no matter where it may make its nest. O friends of God! That the hidden Mystery may now stand revealed, and the secret essence of all things may be disclosed, strive ye to banish that darkness for ever and ever.

'Abdu'l-Baha'
Selections from the Writings of 'Abdu'l-Baha'

Love!

Oct 2014
Stockholm
Be ye helpers of every victim of oppression, the patrons of the disadvantaged. Think ye at all times of rendering some service to every member of the human race. Pay ye no need to aversion or rejection, to disdain, hostility injustice: act ye in the opposite way. Be ye sincerely kind, not in appearance only. Let each one of God's loved ones center his attention on this: to be the Lord's mercy to man; to be the Lord's grace. Let him do some good to every person whose path he crosseth, and be of some benefit to him. Let him improve the character of each and all, and reorient the minds of men. In this way, the light of divine guidance will shine forth, and the blessings of God will cradle all mankind: for love is light, no matter
in what abode it dwelleth; and hate is darkness, no matter where it may make its nest. O friends of God! That the hidden Mystery may now stand revealed, and the secret essence of all things may be disclosed, strive ye to banish that darkness for ever and ever.

'Abdu'l-Baha'
Selections from the Writings of 'Abdu'l-Baha'

Love!
Oh, some of the words that I have tried to use as a guidance in my life. Some words in a few sentences, and a lifetime to learn that it cannot be done....

gnat

Aug 2014
Blue Planet
very interesting. and in a talk in one Baha'i channel I heard that the Baha'i man who was also very knowledgeable said that from mystical point of view "love" is the same as "gravity"; the gravity is called gravity in science and in spiritual talks it is called love. this power is the power which binds all things together.

Jul 2014
That is very interesting, Maryamr! Love is what keeps us centered in the spiritual sense, as gravity keeps us centered on the physical plane. I would have liked to hear that talk.

Loving regards,
Becky

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
Tolerance verses love

But I'm suspicious of love - not of love in its purest form, but of love as practiced, because it's so often coupled with aggression - aggression towards those who don't share our conception of love, towards those whose ability to love is clouded by problems. How often don't we see the loving exclude the less loving in order to maintain their level of love and harmony undisturbed?

That's why I often say that it is better to practice tolerance towards everyone than to practice a love that is quickly withdrawn when it meets resistance.

gnat
Sorry dear gnat but I know that the Master told us that tolerance is wrong we are to love. Getting too old to find the quote but it is there.
You speak of love being withdrawn by some when tested well tolerance is no different, we have to work harder.
Also I feel I should quote that it is not possible to love all there are people we are to avoid.

"We must love God, and in this state, a general love for all men becomes possible. We cannot love each human being for himself but our feeling towards humanity should be motivated by our love for the Father who created all men.
LOG 1341

Becky and Maryamr, liked your posts.
Love to all bill

Last edited:
Jul 2014
If one friend feels love for another, he will wish to say so. Though he knows that the friend is aware that he loves him he will still wish to say so....God knows the wishes of all hearts. But the impulse to pray is a natural one, springing from man's love to God.
....Prayer need not be in words, but rather in thought and attitude. But if this love and this desire are lacking, it is useless to try and force them. Words without love mean nothing. If a person talks to you as an unpleasant duty, with no love or pleasure in his meeting with you, do you wish to converse with him?

Abdu'l-Baha', Baha'u'llah and the New Era, p. 94.