Maiden of Heaven

Jafar

Former Staff
Mar 2006
Chapel Hill
i'm curious what everyone thinks about the apparent progression in the medium by which revalation was given to these particular prophets and messengers. it seems very linear in a biological sense, doesn't it?: plant, animal, human male, human female? am i reading too much into it?

"Wrapped in its stygian gloom, breathing its fetid air, numbed by its humid and icy atmosphere, His feet in stocks, His neck weighed down by a mighty chain, surrounded by criminals and miscreants of the worst order, oppressed by the consciousness of the terrible blot that had stained the fair name of His beloved Faith, painfully aware of the dire distress that had overtaken its champions, and of the grave dangers that faced the remnant of its followers -- at so critical an hour and under such appalling circumstances the "Most Great Spirit," as designated by Himself, and symbolized in the Zoroastrian, the Mosaic, the Christian, and Muhammadan Dispensations by the Sacred Fire, the Burning Bush, the Dove and the Angel Gabriel respectively, descended upon, and revealed itself, personated by a "Maiden," to the agonized soul of Bahá'u'lláh.

"One night in a dream," He Himself, calling to mind, in the evening of His life, the first stirrings of God's Revelation within His soul, has written, "these exalted words were heard on every side: 'Verily, We shall render Thee victorious by Thyself and by Thy pen. Grieve Thou not for that which hath befallen Thee, neither be Thou afraid, for Thou art in safety. Ere long will God raise up the treasures of the earth -- men who will aid Thee through Thyself and through Thy Name, wherewith God hath revived the hearts of such as have recognized Him.'" In another passage He describes, briefly and graphically, the impact of the onrushing force of the Divine Summons upon His entire being -- an experience vividly recalling the vision of God that caused Moses to fall in a swoon, and the voice of Gabriel which plunged Muhammad into such consternation that, hurrying to the shelter of His home, He bade His wife, Khadijih, envelop Him in His mantle. "During the days I lay in the prison of Tihran," are His own memorable words, "though the galling weight of the chains and the stench-filled air allowed Me but little sleep, still in those infrequent moments of slumber I felt as if something flowed from the crown of My head over My breast, even as a mighty torrent that precipitateth itself upon the earth from the summit of a lofty mountain. Every limb of My body would, as a result, be set afire. At such moments My tongue recited what no man could bear to hear."

(Shoghi Effendi, God Passes By, p. 100)

Jun 2006
California
"...symbolized in the Zoroastrian, the Mosaic, the Christian, and Muhammadan Dispensations by the Sacred Fire, the Burning Bush, the Dove and the Angel Gabriel respectively, descended upon, and revealed itself, personated by a "Maiden," to the agonized soul of Bahá'u'lláh."

Jafar asks:

it seems very linear in a biological sense, doesn't it?: plant, animal, human male, human female? am i reading too much into it?

My comment:

Hummm..

I never thought of that...they are symbols I believe but are they progressive? Maybe so.

- Art

Jafar

Former Staff
Mar 2006
Chapel Hill
fire, plant, animal, human male, human female.

there is some sort of linear progressiveness there. it seems analogous to the notion of progressive revelation, but thats just what i see.

Apr 2006
Seattle
this Faith has amazing parallels, especially when it comes to words.
the infinate layers are amazing. its what unites the hearts in that we can read a passage and each individual will see something different but equally as valid.

the parallel between something tangible or fathomable (ie: the different kingdoms, vegetable animal etc) and the properties of these faiths revelations reveals yet another premise in progressive revelation, as you said prior. helping us recognize the granduer of Baha'u'llah's Revelation.

one interesting point is the conclusion of "Maiden" or female. often Baha'u'llah, when speaking in the third person, referred to Himself as a female. expounding on His relationship with God and the might of His revelation, Tablet of the Holy Mariner is a perfect example of this. and also one of, for me, the most mysterious tablets.

not sure if this is what you are referring to, Jafar...
;)