Mani the Persian Prophet

Aug 2014
Blue Planet
WOW. thanks a lot everyone for the excellent quotes and the great help.
I do believe that what Mani said regarding the evil nature of the world, should not be read superficially; like what Buddha says about death and rebirth should not be. and I personally have a great liking for Mani; maybe because of his peaceful character, maybe because of his teachings and maybe because of the tragic way he was martyred. It was a well known religion from Africa to China for 800 years, but little by little, all the followers were killed.

I read that Mani believes he is the "Paraclete" mentioned in the bible. this is kinda believable to me. Muslims believe that Mohammad is the Paraclete but the signs support Mani more than Mohammad. I don't think Paraclete was a direct reference to the Major Prophet after Jesus.

Anyway, I am so thankful for all the contribution. even if Mani was not a minor prophet or anything, his words are full of peace and kindness.

Reactions: tonyfish58
Jun 2014
Wisconsin
So my wife and I are currently watching a Chinese show (Heavenly Sword and Dragon Saber) that actually involves the history of the Manichean Faith in China, which is actually a fairly interesting thing historically. In Chinese the religion's name was "Ma-Ni Jiang" or "the Sect of Mani". However, if you take one of syllables out of the name it becomes "Ma Jiang", which unfortunately translates to "the Devil Cult". Therefore the Chinese historically came to believe the Manicheans were devil-worshipers, and they were heavily persecuted in China.

The show we are watching (and the book it is based on) is interesting, as the story initially introduces "the Devil Cult" as villains and antagonists, only to then later reveal that the sect is in truth a benevolent organization with noble goals, even if some of its members fail to live up to the ideals, and simultaneously reveals that certain members of the orthodox Buddhist and Taoist sects are villainous in nature, thus the underlying message being that one can't judge a person's character by their religious group.

Reactions: MerlinMagus
Jul 2017
Kettering, Ohio USA
Walrus,

Where is that show? It sounds interesting. It may be too late for me to watch it, though, since you've given away so much of the plot.