Need assistance

Hello,

My father suffered a stroke and we need to make preparations just in case he does not pull through. He is an American but lives in Ecuador. My question is, how could I get permission to have him buried in a specific location (within Ecuador)? By car it’s between 3-4 hour drive. By plane it would be much less. This is very important to friends and family, but I also understand and respect my fathers wishes to be buried by Baha’i law.

We are stuck and I have no idea who to ask? Is it possible to get permission? I know that it would be important to my father...

Jan 2018
Maine
If plane is the quickest option I would use that. I will also pray for your father. I have an excellent bahai prayer book that I use it has prayers for everything in it.

If plane is the quickest option I would use that. I will also pray for your father. I have an excellent bahai prayer book that I use it has prayers for everything in it.
Thank you for your reply Joey, and your prayers! They are definitely needed right now for my family.

I am not sure if there is a plane available. I was just saying that it would be less than an hour. What are the exact laws on the distance and time? That’s what we are most confused with

Sorry for your loss.

. For the burial of the dead the only requirements now binding in the West are to bury the body (not to cremate it), not to carry it more than a distance of one hour's journey from the place of death, and to say the Prayer for the Dead if the deceased is a believer over the age of 15. -Universal House of Justice

Here is more information on Bahai burial laws
Thank you!!

What we are struggling with, is one hours journey how? Could we choose the method of travel?

Sep 2018
usa
What we are struggling with, is one hours journey how? Could we choose the method of travel?
....the intention is the hour's time, whatever the means of transport. _("The Kitáb-i-Aqdas, The Most Holy Book, Bahá'u'lláh", Haifa: Bahá'í World Centre, 1992, pp. 111-112)

Dec 2012
Earth
Greetings TioNicksDaughter,

I am sorry to learn that your father has had a major stroke.

You can obtain all the assistance you need by communicating with the Bahá'í National Spiritual Assembly in your country. At this time the Ecuador website offered by the Bahá'í International Community has not been updated, so I can see why you are facing difficulties knowing where to turn here. In light of the fact that your father is American, might I suggest that you contact the Bahá'í National Spiritual Assembly of the U.S. https://www.bahai.us/contact/ and ask them to put you in contact with the Bahá'í National Spiritual Assembly of Ecuador. It really depends on where you would like your father buried as a contingency.

Do understand that the Bahá'í Faith will never contest the wishes of a Bahá'ís family in a funeral arrangement, but they will work to assist and cooperate as much as required to make the process as easy as possible. With regards to the distance of travel, National Spiritual Assemblies will usually draw a straight line from point A to point B and then compare this with the top speed of a fast helicopter travelling for an hour. This is usually four times the distance that can be covered by a car. I think you will agree with me that given the nature of the law this tends to be very fair way to grant as must latitude as possible. However the issue is really a family decision so you should seek to ensure that the family are unified with the action that they take. Being a Bahá'í your father would want the family to be united more than anything else. This is especially true if he is the only Bahá'í within the family.

Naturally I wish your father and all the family well at this difficult time. So enclose a link to the Bahá'í Healing Pray in Spanish below.

Earth

Sep 2010
Normanton Far North Queensland
Hello,

My father suffered a stroke and we need to make preparations just in case he does not pull through. He is an American but lives in Ecuador. My question is, how could I get permission to have him buried in a specific location (within Ecuador)? By car it’s between 3-4 hour drive. By plane it would be much less. This is very important to friends and family, but I also understand and respect my fathers wishes to be buried by Baha’i law.

We are stuck and I have no idea who to ask? Is it possible to get permission? I know that it would be important to my father...
I wish you one and all, all the best in these difficult times.

I can only offer my thoughts.

My thoughts is that your Fathers wish needs to be supported by the Family.

There is a wisdom in this law and if we practice this law that wisdom unfolds.

In the future, I have noted in pilgrim notes it was said transport to anywhere on this planet will be possible within one hour.

At this time that is not possible. As such I see one needs to determine a mode of transport and then choose the options that fall within the range of the chosen transport.

I would also consider that your Father may not want unnecessary expense for His funeral. It appears your Father is a pioneer.

Regards Tony

Greetings TioNicksDaughter,

I am sorry to learn that your father has had a major stroke.

You can obtain all the assistance you need by communicating with the Bahá'í National Spiritual Assembly in your country. At this time the Ecuador website offered by the Bahá'í International Community has not been updated, so I can see why you are facing difficulties knowing where to turn here. In light of the fact that your father is American, might I suggest that you contact the Bahá'í National Spiritual Assembly of the U.S. https://www.bahai.us/contact/ and ask them to put you in contact with the Bahá'í National Spiritual Assembly of Ecuador. It really depends on where you would like your father buried as a contingency.

Do understand that the Bahá'í Faith will never contest the wishes of a Bahá'ís family in a funeral arrangement, but they will work to assist and cooperate as much as required to make the process as easy as possible. With regards to the distance of travel, National Spiritual Assemblies will usually draw a straight line from point A to point B and then compare this with the top speed of a fast helicopter travelling for an hour. This is usually four times the distance that can be covered by a car. I think you will agree with me that given the nature of the law this tends to be very fair way to grant as must latitude as possible. However the issue is really a family decision so you should seek to ensure that the family are unified with the action that they take. Being a Bahá'í your father would want the family to be united more than anything else. This is especially true if he is the only Bahá'í within the family.

Naturally I wish your father and all the family well at this difficult time. So enclose a link to the Bahá'í Healing Pray in Spanish below.

Earth
Thank you so much for sharing this video with me. It really meant a lot... I will pass this along to my siblings and other family members to share.