Needs of the community

May 2018
New Zealand
Hi all,
I would be interested to hear from people around the world, what you feel the current needs of your community are ?

I) your local neighborhood/town
II) your country
III) wider society

Cheers,
T

Jul 2017
Germany
I) Rebuilding of the playgrounds national controlling closed because of security issues.
II) Far-Right parties who try to split society, underminde trust in political institutions, law and the media.
III) Nationalism, racism, consumerism, lack of visions for the future.

May 2018
New Zealand
Hm, for me , where I am, I think:

I) Virtues (truthfulness, honesty, humility, etc )
II) Income inequality
III) Nationalism, consumerism, lack of visions for the future.

Sep 2012
Panama
Hm, for me , where I am, I think:

I) Virtues (truthfulness, honesty, humility, etc )
II) Income inequality
III) Nationalism, consumerism, lack of visions for the future.
this thread seems to be for just listing concerns, but IMHO it'd be really nice to consult on solutions also - - the idea being that we want to light candles even while most prefer cursing the darkness.

We need to consult on virtues, equality, consumption, etc - - anyone interested? here? new thread?

May 2018
New Zealand
this thread seems to be for just listing concerns, but IMHO it'd be really nice to consult on solutions also - - the idea being that we want to light candles even while most prefer cursing the darkness.

We need to consult on virtues, equality, consumption, etc - - anyone interested? here? new thread?
Yes, My intention was to ask what people saw as the needs of their community and wider society before starting a discussion on solutions.

I have listen to a few BWNS pod-casts lately that reported on African communities that identifed needs such as education, poverty, and "feeling of hopelessness among the young " and then when on to train local women as teachers, , and implement a community agriculture project. They also started junior youth programs.

It was uplifting to hear these stories, home communities identified their needs, both spiritual and material, and then used Baha'i inspired practices to develop solutions :)

I was interested to see what were the more common needs people saw around them , before picking a topic to discuss further

So Pete , you feel virtues are an area of need ? Of course the need for virtues underlies many other things ..

I am intrigued by "The Virtues Project" their cards and other materials look really good :)

I was thinking this is what NZ schools need ! NZ schools used to Christian religious classes in the curriculum for younger children but this is being phased out. Recent media 'discussions' have said most NZers want no RE in schools, but lament the lack of morals in the youth. .. I wonder if the VP might have some appeal to secular society ?

I am interested to know if and how religion or spiritual principals are taught at schools in other countries ?

-T

Sep 2012
Panama
...you feel virtues are an area of need ? ...
There's a comment from Ross Perot that always comes back to me, that most folks say they want employees w/ brains & ability but he points out that number one is character --w/o character the brains & ablility stop being assets and become liabilities.

Character is EVERYTHING.

....interested to know if and how religion or spiritual principals are taught at schools in other countries ?

-T
When I stated to my wife (professional educator) just now that religion and virtues are a solid part of Panama's educational program she explained that it's largely Catholic doctrine w/ and virtues instruction boils down to tossing the kids a list & telling 'em to look it up. To be fair, part of the high school program is community service & some of our kids got credit for their work w/ Institute work w/ young people. The wife also said that the JW's are teaching childrens classes in the school under the VERY watchful eye of the school master, so far they haven't crossed any lines.

Oct 2014
Stockholm
Yes, My intention was to ask what people saw as the needs of their community and wider society before starting a discussion on solutions.

I have listen to a few BWNS pod-casts lately that reported on African communities that identifed needs such as education, poverty, and "feeling of hopelessness among the young " and then when on to train local women as teachers, , and implement a community agriculture project. They also started junior youth programs.

It was uplifting to hear these stories, home communities identified their needs, both spiritual and material, and then used Baha'i inspired practices to develop solutions :)

I was interested to see what were the more common needs people saw around them , before picking a topic to discuss further

So Pete , you feel virtues are an area of need ? Of course the need for virtues underlies many other things ..

I am intrigued by "The Virtues Project" their cards and other materials look really good :)

I was thinking this is what NZ schools need ! NZ schools used to Christian religious classes in the curriculum for younger children but this is being phased out. Recent media 'discussions' have said most NZers want no RE in schools, but lament the lack of morals in the youth. .. I wonder if the VP might have some appeal to secular society ?

I am interested to know if and how religion or spiritual principals are taught at schools in other countries ?

-T
I've used the Virtues approach when raising my children. It works. Personally, I haven't listed concerns. Virtues are essential parts of the solutions at every level of society. The lies, that I face when working with the Swedish Social Services and their approach to children, are monstrous.

gnat

May 2018
New Zealand
I've used the Virtues approach when raising my children. It works. Personally, I haven't listed concerns. Virtues are essential parts of the solutions at every level of society. The lies, that I face when working with the Swedish Social Services and their approach to children, are monstrous.

gnat
Glad to hear you have had suggest with your daughters and the virtues program :)

Is there religious education or instruction in Swedish schools ?

Oct 2014
Stockholm
Glad to hear you have had suggest with your daughters and the virtues program :)

Is there religious education or instruction in Swedish schools ?
They teach the kids about different religions and value systems, such as hbtq - more or less like presenting a menu. Character training is not a part of our educational system.

gnat