New...resources?

Aug 2011
Richmond, VA
Hi there, I'm new and since I don't fully understand the Baha'i faith yet, I most definitely don't consider myself as such. So far however, the basic beliefs I've read have resonated with me and I am interested in reading and learning more about it.

I'd like to know what is required of a Baha'i, if there are liberal and conservative Baha'is as there are Christians, and I'd like to know more about how I can get in contact with a Baha'i community in my area or how I can even find one.

God bless.

Jun 2011
Somewhere "in this immensity"
Hi there, I'm new and since I don't fully understand the Baha'i faith yet, I most definitely don't consider myself as such. So far however, the basic beliefs I've read have resonated with me and I am interested in reading and learning more about it.

I'd like to know what is required of a Baha'i, if there are liberal and conservative Baha'is as there are Christians, and I'd like to know more about how I can get in contact with a Baha'i community in my area or how I can even find one.

God bless.
There a few easy ways you can meet Baha'is and investigate the faith. I see you are in the States, so you can request information, or ask to be given contact information or to be contacted by Baha'is near you at the U.S baha'i website or you can call a toll free number 1 800 22 UNITE or, if you want help finding someone, send me a P.M and I'll make a connection for you.

This way you could meet Baha'is, get a hold of some literature, attend a study circle, devotional meeting, or attend a fireside presentation on the Faith.

To become a Baha'i does not require anything accept, minimally, a belief in Baha'u'llah, and a willingness to strive and live the Baha'i way of life. Sometimes that's much easier said than done, but nobody is perfect or will expect perfection, so don't worry about it too much, this is a path and a journey, not the finish line. ;)

We don't have any intiations or membership rituals, but some countries (America does) have a membership card for administrative purpose such as community registration and voting, but that's purely a practical matter, and doesn't truly make one a Baha'i or not.

I wish you success in your investigation of our beautiful faith, and I envy you! I can remember when I first discovered Baha'u'llah, and it was so thrilling to find the desire of my heart. Years later, I'm still very excited, but you can never beat those earliest moments of first love. I can also tell you that, as that love has matured, I have been happy and safe in my spiritual home, and that this faith has enriched me in ways beyond measure. I hope this will be your experience too, God willing.

Cheers!

Sep 2010
Louisiana
no politics

Baha'is do not become involved in politics and if registered to vote do not show an affliaion. Baha'is may vote of course, but we do not campaign for or get involved in political matters. A Baha'is may not run for political office.

Unless you are a Baha'i, donations are not accepted, and if given anyway go to common charities. There may be talks about the Fund, but no baskets are passed nor are there any direct solicitations. It is confidential.

The Baha'i Faith fortunately is organized, but the disadvantages associated with paid clergy don't come with it. We have an administrative order that is elected. Baha'u'llah's son was his successor, Abdul'baha, and his grandson was his successor, Shoghi Effendi. Baha'is adhere to Their teachings that illumine Baha'u'llah's Revelation as if they were written by Baha'u'llah. Baha'is that accept this have a firm spritual connection to the Faith and appreciate the unity provided by this guidance, a rarity in this world today.

There are lots of arguments floating about out there, but faith is about spiritual matters, and some arguments only start and end with words. I am told knowledge is the product of faith , but faith may NOT be the result of knowledge.

The best source to learn for one's self is to read the Writings of Baha'u'llah which we believe are the Word which means to manifest the Holy Spirit. It is these holy words that will change the hearts of men and be a source of faith, growth, and change which is a proof of the Holy Spirit within the words.

Glad you have come to see us. Here is a link to probably the most loved of the Writings of Baha'u'llah, THE HIDDEN WORDS:

Hidden Words

If you keep scrolling down you will find it, though there is quite a menu above the text. Wondering what country you are from?
Regards, CP

Aug 2011
Richmond, VA
Thank you all (except the handbag and acne cream spammer(s)) for your responses! I actually currently work at a church where I repair and refurbish computers, so you can imagine how difficult it is to have even begun this journey, but I have felt Christianity is...I guess...incomplete maybe? Not that it is incorrect per se, but I have difficulty believing that God would give us the Bible and then leave it at that. I like to think that God is a teacher and that he has infinite knowledge and miracles to reveal to us. We couldn't possibly take it all in at once, so we have to be taught in steps and I suspect that the Baha'i faith may be that most current step.

There are lots of arguments floating about out there, but faith is about spiritual matters, and some arguments only start and end with words. I am told knowledge is the product of faith , but faith may NOT be the result of knowledge.
I agree wholeheartedly with this statement. I simply don't want to step into deep water without knowing at least a little bit about what is underneath it, if that makes any sense.

On another note, I love learning about history as well. So I have a feeling that reading all these writings will be recreational for me as much as it is enriching.

I look forward to learning more about this faith!

Jun 2011
Somewhere "in this immensity"
Thank you all (except the handbag and acne cream spammer(s)) for your responses! I actually currently work at a church where I repair and refurbish computers, so you can imagine how difficult it is to have even begun this journey, but I have felt Christianity is...I guess...incomplete maybe? Not that it is incorrect per se, but I have difficulty believing that God would give us the Bible and then leave it at that. I like to think that God is a teacher and that he has infinite knowledge and miracles to reveal to us. We couldn't possibly take it all in at once, so we have to be taught in steps and I suspect that the Baha'i faith may be that most current step.

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement. I simply don't want to step into deep water without knowing at least a little bit about what is underneath it, if that makes any sense.

On another note, I love learning about history as well. So I have a feeling that reading all these writings will be recreational for me as much as it is enriching.

I look forward to learning more about this faith!
Since you love reading history, you might try reading The Dawnbreakers! This is a history or the beginnings of our faith, and quite an exciting read. :cool:

Aug 2011
Richmond, VA
Since you love reading history, you might try reading The Dawnbreakers! This is a history or the beginnings of our faith, and quite an exciting read. :cool:
That's exactly the kind of book I was just looking for! I also wanted to mention that The Hidden Truth was amazing. :D

Jun 2006
California
The Dawn-breakers is online:

http://bahai-library.com/books/dawnbreakers/

Bahá'í Reference Library - The Dawn-Breakers: Nabíl’s Narrative of the Early Days of the Bahá’í Revelation

Colis Featherstone told me once a long time ago that his first Baha'i book was The Dawn-breakers

Dawn-Breakers, The: Nabil's Narrative of the Early Days of the Baha'i Revelation

Product Code: DB
ISBN: 978-0-87743-010-0
Availability: In stock.
Price: $39.95
Also titled "Nabil's Narrative", this is the most comprehensive and authoritative eyewitness account of the beginnings of the Baha'i era.

From Baha'i Distribution Service:

Bahai Distribution Service

You may be referring to the Hidden Words:

http://bahai-library.com/writings/bahaullah/hw/

Last edited:
Sep 2010
Louisiana
Grateful

I am grateful to have been able to contribute to your search. I also am grateful for the spiritual connection that I have to this Faith. It is beyond words. I wish you this in your faith full search. CP

Similiar Baha'i Discussions Forum Date
Baha'i Discussions
Baha'i Beliefs