News from Indonesia

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
I wouldn't count on it. The Indonesian government is heavily Islamic. And besides the whole system of officially recognized religions is ridiculous as it leaves atheists without rights.
Why do you say this my friend, the whole idea of recognizing and respecting an others belief is just that, recognizing that persons belief as valid, so why would a country also not recognize the belief of Atheists as also valid.

This surely would be justice?

Jun 2014
United States
Why do you say this my friend, the whole idea of recognizing and respecting an others belief is just that, recognizing that persons belief as valid, so why would a country also not recognize the belief of Atheists as also valid.

This surely would be justice?
Well, the way it should work is the government stays out of that, but the way it works in Indonesia is that if you're not part of a recognized religion then you're screwed. All this would do would put the Baha'i Faith in the safe zone but that still leaves atheists on the outside.

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
Well, the way it should work is the government stays out of that, but the way it works in Indonesia is that if you're not part of a recognized religion then you're screwed. All this would do would put the Baha'i Faith in the safe zone but that still leaves atheists on the outside.
What you say concerning this country may well be correct, but any just government would not reject any persons belief.

And I feel that the Baha'is would stand shoulder to shoulder with you in striving to bring this about.

Oct 2013
Glenwood, Queensland, Australia
My dear friend

I wouldn't count on it. The Indonesian government is heavily Islamic. And besides the whole system of officially recognized religions is ridiculous as it leaves atheists without rights.
If not today, then tomorrow. And if not tomorrow, then the next day. But it will come, and in Iran also. The mere fact that a leader in another country where the Faith is as yet unreconised is making such statement is in itself a step forward, not just for the Baha'is, but for everyone. How long till the realisation is in the hands of One you do not accept.

Whether you agree or not is not of relevance. The same applies to every other person in this forum, and beyond that the world. It will come about when it is time to come about :)

In the country where our Friends are the most heavily persecuted, an Ayatollah stands up and makes a gift to the Baha'i Faith. This ended up with not just ramifications for the Baha'i Faith, but it has extended into a dialogue regarding the rights of all to follow their own belief.

The status quo cannot continue, for while it does, it divides one against the other. Everyone has the capacity to contribute to the advancement of the human species. Why should we care whether you are an athiest, another a religionist? It is the species which is important, and you and I are mere small-time bit players in the scheme of things. We can contribute, we can float with the current, we can hinder. But the future will still pass over us all and become the past, and neither you nor I nor any other person alive in the past, the present or the future can stop that. And thaat fture is sure to hold some surprises for every one of us, no matter our perceptions or belief.

Anyway, I will bow out of this side of the discussion now, for I have said my bit and have no more to add.

With my warmest of greetings

Romane

Jun 2014
United States
What you say concerning this country may well be correct, but any just government would not reject any persons belief.

And I feel that the Baha'is would stand shoulder to shoulder with you in striving to bring this about.
I hate to sound pessimistic but via that logic (well, any logic really) the Indonesian government is unjust.

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
I hate to sound pessimistic but via that logic (well, any logic really) the Indonesian government is unjust.
I feel Romane has answered you well, I say no more.

But I have faith in a different future, and yes it will take time, but it is coming.

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
SmilingSkeptic, dear friend by the way I like your signature.

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.

-Carl Sagan

Now this I can truly believe is correct.