Obligatory Prayer Question

Mar 2013
_
What happens if a person forgets or is somehow unable to perform one one of the three daily obligatory prayers, for instance if they were in an airplane or on the road all day travelling?

Are the 95 recitations of the Greatest Name also obligatory on a daily basis?

Thank you.

Aug 2010
New Zealand mainly
It's in paragraph 14 of the Aqdas, Noogan:

When travelling, if ye should stop and rest in
some safe spot, perform ye -- men and women alike -- a
single prostration in place of each unsaid Obligatory
Prayer, and while prostrating say "Glorified be God,
the Lord of Might and Majesty, of Grace and Bounty".
Whoso is unable to do this, let him say only "Glorified
be God"; this shall assuredly suffice him. He is, of a
truth, the all-sufficing, the ever-abiding, the forgiving,
compassionate God. Upon completing your
prostrations, seat yourselves cross-legged -- men and
women alike -- and eighteen times repeat "Glorified be
God, the Lord of the kingdoms of earth and heaven".
Thus doth the Lord make plain the ways of truth and
guidance, ways that lead to one way, which is this
Straight Path.
(Baha'u'llah, The Kitab-i-Aqdas, p. 24)
All together now:
:rule: :rule: :rule:
:bigsmile:

Jun 2006
California
Noogan wrote above:

"Are the 95 recitations of the Greatest Name also obligatory on a daily basis?"

When I first became a Baha'i it was not obligatory to recite the Greatest Name.. I live in the United States, but in a message to the Baha'i world on 28 December 1999 the Universal House of Justice indicated

"We have also decided that it is timely for all Baha'is in every land to take to their hearts the words of the Kitab-i-Aqdas

It hath been ordained that every believer in God, the Lord of Judgement, shall, each day, having washed his hands and then his face, seat himself and, turning unto God, repeat "Alláh-u-Abhá" ninety-five times. Such was the decree of the Maker of the Heavens when, with majesty and power, He established Himself upon the thrones of His Names.

Let all experience the spiritual enrichment brought to their souls by this simple act of worshipful meditation."

The reference can be found at 315.6 on page 698 of "Messages from the Universal House of Justice 1986 - 2001 The Fourth Epoch of the Formative Age."

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
What happens if a person forgets or is somehow unable to perform one one of the three daily obligatory prayers, for instance if they were in an airplane or on the road all day travelling?

Are the 95 recitations of the Greatest Name also obligatory on a daily basis?

Thank you.
Dear friend as I understand if one forgets to say their obligatory prayer at the correct time, this is what has been given to pray:-

Pray:- (Kneel bowing forehead to the ground) Glorified be God, the Lord of Might and Majesty, of Grace and Bounty. (or only "Glorified be God")
Then sit cross-legged and repeat 18 times.
Glorified be God, the Lord of the Kingdoms of Earth and Heaven.

Just my humble understanding.

Feb 2013
United States
With regards to the 95 recitations of Alláh-u-Abhá, does "turning unto God" indicate facing the Qiblih? Or does it refer to a spiritual focus?

Jan 2012
Pleasant Plains, Arkansas
With regards to the 95 recitations of Alláh-u-Abhá, does "turning unto God" indicate facing the Qiblih? Or does it refer to a spiritual focus?
Everything I have read points towards "turning unto God" in that instance meaning a spiritual focus, turning inwardly unto God. I do, however, usually face the Qiblih when reciting the Greatest Name. It just feels right.

Feb 2013
United States
I ask because I often spend all or much of my time commuting in prayer and remembrance. Obviously while driving I can be seated, but I cannot control whether or not I am facing the Qiblih.

Jun 2006
California
67. QUESTION: Concerning the long Obligatory Prayer, it is
required to stand up and "turn unto God". This seemeth
to indicate that it is not necessary to face the Qiblih; is
this so or not?

ANSWER: The Qiblih is intended.

(Baha'u'llah, The Kitab-i-Aqdas, p. 126)

Of course though

"Whichever
way ye turn, there is the face of God."
+F1

+F1 Qur'án 2:115 132

(Baha'u'llah, The Kitab-i-Aqdas, p. 131)

Real love is impossible unless one turn his face towards God and be attracted to His Beauty.

(Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith, p. 364)

Feb 2013
United States
Thanks Art.

I think the same is likely intended for the 95 repetitions of Alláh-u-Abhá since the same words are used.

Much appreciated. . .