Obligatory prayers

Aug 2013
Orlando, FL
I am just curious, if I may be so bold to ask, to know which obligatory prayers you all do, and how often? I am trying to figure out how to structure my prayer life. Thanks!

Jun 2006
California
I am just curious, if I may be so bold to ask, to know which obligatory prayers you all do, and how often? I am trying to figure out how to structure my prayer life. Thanks!
Well I usually recite the long obligatory prayer in the afternoon .. but I'm old and retired and have plenty of time..

When I was younger I also recited the long obligatory prayer but more often the short obligatory prayer.

My wife usually recited the medium obligatory prayer but nowadays the short one.

:cool:

May 2013
forest falls california
Prayers

Allah'u'Abha,
For me, there is a simple routine. Upon rising in the morning, I wash my face and hands and recite Allah'u'Abha 95 times as Baha'u'llah tells us to do. Then I say one of the prayers in the prayer book, followed by reading something from the Bab or Baha'u'llah. Around noon, I say the short obligatory prayer.
What I have found to be helpful for saying the long obligatory prayer is that I typed out and made large print on several pages to post on the wall for standing up parts of the prayer. It fits on three pages taped together, side by side. Then I have another page for the part when you rest your hands on your knees which I set on something in front of me. I have a small prayer rug I use and have another page and a half or so taped together lengthwise for the three prostration portions.
By making these large print pages in a very user friendly way I have found myself gradually really preferring the long obligatory prayer when I have time and am not too tired. I say this after sunset in the evening, usually before going to bed. Then I am good for the next day! Also, it seems like I get a fuller meal, so to speak, by doing this about 3 or 4 times a week and I think it makes my next day go better.
Oh, and then a little reading at night, again before going to bed. That way my head is filled with good things, instead of the news of the world falling apart or some nonsense entertainment. Seem to have better dreams, too.
Allah'u'Abha, Dale

Aug 2010
New Zealand mainly
The short obligatory prayer, about 5 or 6 pm., when I have stopped work and I'm getting ready to cook dinner. I work at home, so there's no commute, and my day is pretty much the same, 7 days a week. If I did have to commute 5 days a week, it would be harder to fit prayer into a routine.

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
I mostly say the Long Obligatory Prayer in the morning followed by the 95 Allah'u'Abha. I do this prior to my work day. When I do not do this, I say the Short Obligatory Prayer around noon.

I try to say the Tablet of Visitation morning and night, it is a great prayer (one used for Abdul'Baha & Bab).

It is what you can fit in to your routine. I deprived myself from the Long Prayer for many a year.

Regards Tony

Jun 2006
California
At home i'll use rose water for my ablutions...and after the obligatory prayer recite the ninety five Allah'u'Abha... You can use your fingers and their joints and tips to count them...nineteen..and the other hand for five. :cool:

Sep 2010
Boalsburg, PA, USA
I work afternoon to evening and usually say the Short Obligatory Prayer before I head off to work. When I get home in the evening, it is quiet and I say a couple of prayers, then read from the Writings and finally end by reciting Allah'u'Abha 95 times using prayer beads. it is a wonderful way to end the day.

Aug 2013
Orlando, FL
Great posts! Thanks! I can see how easily they can fit into a daily schedule. Are the 95 Allah'u'Abha recitations required daily?

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
Great posts! Thanks! I can see how easily they can fit into a daily schedule. Are the 95 Allah'u'Abha recitations required daily?
Yes they are, I have started saying them prior to my Obligatory prayer, seems to set the scene so to speak :cool:

Regards Tomy