Occultism

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
In any case, I came to this web site trying to find more information about joining the Baha'i faith as a Freemason because I see many common ideas between the 2 (especially the emphasis on the importance of Science) but when I saw this above post I felt the need to clarify so people don't get the wrong idea about the Masons....
Welcome, great to see you here and we will be happy to answer any question you my have.

Regards Tony

Reactions: Peyt71
Oct 2019
California
Welcome, great to see you here and we will be happy to answer any question you my have.

Regards Tony
Hi Tony,
Thanks so much for your reply,
Yes, my questions are:
1. Is there a web site where I can find more information on gatherings held in my local area for newcomers?
2. Would I ultimately have to give up Masonry to become a Baha'i ?

Reactions: tonyfish58
Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
Hi Tony,
Thanks so much for your reply,
Yes, my questions are:
1. Is there a web site where I can find more information on gatherings held in my local area for newcomers?
2. Would I ultimately have to give up Masonry to become a Baha'i ?
I see you are in California. This Web site should help;

As for your 2nd question, I would leave that up to you to decide, as you undertake your individual search for Truth. I have found these questions have a way of answering themselves, in ones own heart, in one's journey through life. The key is in our justice and sincerity of search.

I would say, if and when you choose to be a Baha'i, the question will already have an answer in your heart.

My journey has taken me to a Certitude that Baha'u'llah has offered the elixer in this age for humanity to find its unity and peace and that I can best serve my fellow brothers and sisters of humanity at this time, by living the life asked of me by Baha'u'llah and by now building strong loving communities.

I wish you all the best and if needed, we are here to help and also to learn from what you have to offer in return.

Regards Tony

Reactions: Peyt71 and Earth
Oct 2019
California
I see you are in California. This Web site should help;

As for your 2nd question, I would leave that up to you to decide, as you undertake your individual search for Truth. I have found these questions have a way of answering themselves, in ones own heart, in one's journey through life. The key is in our justice and sincerity of search.

I would say, if and when you choose to be a Baha'i, the question will already have an answer in your heart.

My journey has taken me to a Certitude that Baha'u'llah has offered the elixer in this age for humanity to find its unity and peace and that I can best serve my fellow brothers and sisters of humanity at this time, by living the life asked of me by Baha'u'llah and by now building strong loving communities.

I wish you all the best and if needed, we are here to help and also to learn from what you have to offer in return.

Regards Tony
Thank you so much Tony, I really appreciate it.

Dec 2012
Earth
Greetings Peyt71,

I think you will find that the poster you are referring to here has an unfortunate history. The views expressed by this person would not be inline with what you might find from a mature Bahá’í. So pay it no heed. Fortunately the person who runs this website does not engage in aggressive moderation, but rather allows people to become more responsible for they own posts. If a person chooses to offer conspiracy theories, then they will remain for everyone to witness.

My late Father was a Freemason and my Mother, who is now a very elderly Bahá’í, actually receives a modest pension from one of their lower halls. So there is a need to obtain much more understanding and clarity about such matters. Indeed I have given talks on the Bahá’í Faith to a number of Freemasons. I also have some Freemasonry introductory literature. This, as you may well know, allows its members to join any religion of their choice and some even specify Bahá'í.

Modern Freemasonry is considerably different from what it was like in the early days of the Bahá’í Faith. So views and opinions made about it then do not always apply now. Because of this it is better to obtain modern guidance from well informed individuals. Tony has kindly referred you to the Local Spiritual Assemblies in the California area. This is from the official Bahá'í website and his recommendations are inline with good Bahá'í practice. However, do understand that trustees of Local Spiritual Assemblies might not be mature enough to provide coherent advice to you on this matter. So while I would encourage you to follow the guidance offer by Tony, I would add that if you are not satisfied with their response, you are free to take the matter to the National Spiritual Assembly of the Bahá'ís of the United States too. This is because they tend to be much more mature in handling sensitive matters pertaining to membership and they can also directly contact the Universal House of Justice, the Supreme Institution of the Bahá'í Faith, on your behalf in order to obtain a judgement call. So while you might have read some negative material in this matter, do understand that everything changes in time and Bahá'í Institutions will work to make accommodations where they can.

One of the reasons the early Bahá'ís discouraged the practice of Freemasonry was because it was a "secret society". This would be very difficult to endorse today due to the advent of privacy laws. In addition to this, court orders can be served on any body that seeks obstruction. So the notion of painting Freemasonry as a secrecy society in modern times is rather misrepresentative of the facts. All organisations are permitted the right to maintain privacy in particular areas and the Bahá'í Faith is no different from Freemasonry here.

I hope this might help you to see that with some intelligence you can resolve this matter easier than you might realise. But do appreciate that despite the lofty values of the Bahá'í Faith, the Bahá'í Community is still very young and it is composed of people from a very wider section of society. It does have a very high PhD ratio of believers compared with other religions, but it also has homeless, unemployed and illiterate members too. The contrast of diversity will be considerably wider than your experience within Freemasonry. So do appreciate, certainly at a local level, views towards Freemasonry might be very varied. This is why you should not rule anything out until you have communicated with Bahá'ís Institutions that outrank Local Spiritual Assemblies.

Do not worry. I have been in numerous battles with Local Spiritual Assemblies over the decades and they have always lost on appeal. Anyone with an interest in joining the Bahá'í Faith should always understand they can raise any concerns that they might have with Local Spiritual Assemblies to the National Spiritual Assembly and then to the Universal House of Justice too if they are not satisfied. Look on Bahá'í Institutions like courts where a person can appeal a case up the ladder if needed. The Local Spiritual Assembly is at the bottom of the ladder and as it only has a small number of people to choose as trustees, some function better than others.

Do take Tony's invite to return here to heart because the users here will help you where they can. As the Bahá'í Faith should be open for all people, there really is no benefit turning anyone down from membership. Indeed such an approach runs contrary to its aims.

Earth

Oct 2019
California
Greetings Peyt71,

I think you will find that the poster you are referring to here has an unfortunate history. The views expressed by this person would not be inline with what you might find from a mature Bahá’í. So pay it no heed. Fortunately the person who runs this website does not engage in aggressive moderation, but rather allows people to become more responsible for they own posts. If a person chooses to offer conspiracy theories, then they will remain for everyone to witness.

My late Father was a Freemason and my Mother, who is now a very elderly Bahá’í, actually receives a modest pension from one of their lower halls. So there is a need to obtain much more understanding and clarity about such matters. Indeed I have given talks on the Bahá’í Faith to a number of Freemasons. I also have some Freemasonry introductory literature. This, as you may well know, allows its members to join any religion of their choice and some even specify Bahá'í.

Modern Freemasonry is considerably different from what it was like in the early days of the Bahá’í Faith. So views and opinions made about it then do not always apply now. Because of this it is better to obtain modern guidance from well informed individuals. Tony has kindly referred you to the Local Spiritual Assemblies in the California area. This is from the official Bahá'í website and his recommendations are inline with good Bahá'í practice. However, do understand that trustees of Local Spiritual Assemblies might not be mature enough to provide coherent advice to you on this matter. So while I would encourage you to follow the guidance offer by Tony, I would add that if you are not satisfied with their response, you are free to take the matter to the National Spiritual Assembly of the Bahá'ís of the United States too. This is because they tend to be much more mature in handling sensitive matters pertaining to membership and they can also directly contact the Universal House of Justice, the Supreme Institution of the Bahá'í Faith, on your behalf in order to obtain a judgement call. So while you might have read some negative material in this matter, do understand that everything changes in time and Bahá'í Institutions will work to make accommodations where they can.

One of the reasons the early Bahá'ís discouraged the practice of Freemasonry was because it was a "secret society". This would be very difficult to endorse today due to the advent of privacy laws. In addition to this, court orders can be served on any body that seeks obstruction. So the notion of painting Freemasonry as a secrecy society in modern times is rather misrepresentative of the facts. All organisations are permitted the right to maintain privacy in particular areas and the Bahá'í Faith is no different from Freemasonry here.

I hope this might help you to see that with some intelligence you can resolve this matter easier than you might realise. But do appreciate that despite the lofty values of the Bahá'í Faith, the Bahá'í Community is still very young and it is composed of people from a very wider section of society. It does have a very high PhD ratio of believers compared with other religions, but it also has homeless, unemployed and illiterate members too. The contrast of diversity will be considerably wider than your experience within Freemasonry. So do appreciate, certainly at a local level, views towards Freemasonry might be very varied. This is why you should not rule anything out until you have communicated with Bahá'ís Institutions that outrank Local Spiritual Assemblies.

Do not worry. I have been in numerous battles with Local Spiritual Assemblies over the decades and they have always lost on appeal. Anyone with an interest in joining the Bahá'í Faith should always understand they can raise any concerns that they might have with Local Spiritual Assemblies to the National Spiritual Assembly and then to the Universal House of Justice too if they are not satisfied. Look on Bahá'í Institutions like courts where a person can appeal a case up the ladder if needed. The Local Spiritual Assembly is at the bottom of the ladder and as it only has a small number of people to choose as trustees, some function better than others.

Do take Tony's invite to return here to heart because the users here will help you where they can. As the Bahá'í Faith should be open for all people, there really is no benefit turning anyone down from membership. Indeed such an approach runs contrary to its aims.

Earth
Thank you so much for your informative post. I appreciate all the good information.