Oral Traditions of Bahá'u'lláh/ Baha'i Hadith

Mar 2013
Central Ohio
Given that the Faith originates in Iran-Iraq-Levant, and that many of the early Babís were formerly Muslims, and that both the Báb and Bahá'u'lláh regularly draw from the Shi'i hadith traditions in asserting their Prophethood, wouldn't this imply that the early Bahá'ís had some affection for the Hadith tradition?

And I ask this, because I'm wondering if early Bahá'ís began collecting stories pertaining to the behavior and sayings of Bahá'u'lláh outside of His written revelation. A Bahá'í equivelent to the 'Hadith" tradition.

We have the Pilgrim's Notes for Shoghi and 'Abdu'l-Bahá, but is there something similar for Bahá'u'lláh? Besides the here-say of of the Azalis and the reports of a few "Orientalists" like EG Browne.

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
Dear Owings yes there are, you only have to mix with our beloved friends from Iran, our Persian friends to hear of such stories.

But you must also keep in the back of your mind, no matter how beautiful these stories may be, they are just that, stories.
In this faith we are not to consider they carry any authority or truth.

Mar 2013
Central Ohio
Yes Blinkey, I'd realize they wouldn't carry any authority -- just as Pilgrim's Notes lack authority.

But I'd still be interesting in reading them if they could ever be compiled into a textual format.

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
There you go all you have to do is ask, some wonderful soul has knowledge and shares.

Thank you slkrr, and is in a book, just what Owings is asking for. Many thanks

Aug 2012
Recife, Brasil
Can't believe I forgot this one, since I just read it a few months ago:

The Chosen Highway

The book is mostly stories of 'Abdu'l-Bahá, but it contains the "spoken chronicles" of Bahiyyih Khanum and Munirih Khanum, as well as a few other shorter accounts from other Bahá'ís (The whole Part Two of the book). Bahiyyih Khanum's section is fascinating.

If I think of any others, I'll add them to this thread.

Jun 2006
California
In the early days of the Faith not much was published so there were a lot of Pilgrim Notes shared by people ... Star of the West also had some of these ... In time however with guidance it became quite clear that the authenticated Writings had more weight and authority than Pilgrim Notes...