Personal Favorite messenger?

May 2014
Dublin, Ireland
Dear friend but this person continually says he/she is Baha'i, how you can know they are atheist I do not know. But if they were then yes I would speak a little differently. But they continually say they are Baha'i that his/her family goes back to the time of the Bab. But He/she says the most strange things so yes I do not just say I will pray for them but I do, I worry for what is said. I would rather pray for them than do as he/she does attack or criticize.

I pray also for Mankind, I pray for my parents etc, I consider I am doing a loving thing, I will continue to pray both for myself and others.
His signature is:
"Have I exalted myself over you? How can I, I am only an atheist"

Jun 2014
United States
I would consider my favorite (i.e. the one who has the least problems with their story or claims, and of course setting aside for the sake of argument my atheism) to be Jesus, because of that righteous Sermon on the Mount and the whole "love thy neighbor" bit. In fact, I downloaded a copy of the Jefferson Bible that cut out all the supernatural bits and hell-related silliness and focused on his philosophy, which I consider to be pretty good albeit I think that others are better.

Dec 2013
Little Rock, Ar
I would consider my favorite (i.e. the one who has the least problems with their story or claims, and of course setting aside for the sake of argument my atheism) to be Jesus, because of that righteous Sermon on the Mount and the whole "love thy neighbor" bit. In fact, I downloaded a copy of the Jefferson Bible that cut out all the supernatural bits and hell-related silliness and focused on his philosophy, which I consider to be pretty good albeit I think that others are better.
Where did you get your copy of the Jefferson Bible? I remember hearing about it during my short period of Deism, but I never found one.

Aug 2013
Michigan
Where did you get your copy of the Jefferson Bible? I remember hearing about it during my short period of Deism, but I never found one.
I actually got to see the Jefferson Bible at the Smithsonian. It was fascinating. He had physically cut things out to leave what he saw as the valid material. He put a lot of time and thought and effort into it.

Jun 2014
United States
I actually got to see the Jefferson Bible at the Smithsonian. It was fascinating. He had physically cut things out to leave what he saw as the valid material. He put a lot of time and thought and effort into it.
The university I go to had put up a PDF transcript. Really quite a fascinating read, and I consider Jefferson (despite his faults) to have also been a fantastic secular philosopher, building on other greats to lay down core, secular values for this country that inspired people in the entire world.

Aug 2013
Michigan
The university I go to had put up a PDF transcript. Really quite a fascinating read, and I consider Jefferson (despite his faults) to have also been a fantastic secular philosopher, building on other greats to lay down core, secular values for this country that inspired people in the entire world.
Here is my "amen" for that.

May 2013
forest falls california
Its a game

LogicalReason, from what I can tell, seems to think himself both an atheist and a Baha'i. It's odd, but not unheard of, given the existence (albeit VERY small) of atheist Christians.
Its a game. Words have meaning and to play with them is like any other set of toys. Consider how children play hide and seek. "You can't see me..." and of course they know you can, but the game is fun.

So we have to make allowances for kids, but see past the mischief. Also, what are the motivations behind all this? Is it control? Amusement?

And what is the cost and the outcome? To lead someone astray? Make it hard for them? Those are my issues with the "athiest Baha'i" nonsense. We have to be real with each other, otherwise there is no real conversation. Just game playing, distortion of information, deflection from the truth, etc.

Maybe we need a sandbox thread dedicated to vain imaginings and general mischief where people who need that level of comfort can find solace from the ultimate reality we all have to deal with. Otherwise, its just a bunch of gnats in the face.

Lets play:

"Who wants to be a gnat?" "I do! I do!"

Jun 2014
United States
Its a game. Words have meaning and to play with them is like any other set of toys. Consider how children play hide and seek. "You can't see me..." and of course they know you can, but the game is fun.

So we have to make allowances for kids, but see past the mischief. Also, what are the motivations behind all this? Is it control? Amusement?

And what is the cost and the outcome? To lead someone astray? Make it hard for them? Those are my issues with the "athiest Baha'i" nonsense. We have to be real with each other, otherwise there is no real conversation. Just game playing, distortion of information, deflection from the truth, etc.

Maybe we need a sandbox thread dedicated to vain imaginings and general mischief where people who need that level of comfort can find solace from the ultimate reality we all have to deal with. Otherwise, its just a bunch of gnats in the face.

Lets play:

"Who wants to be a gnat?" "I do! I do!"
I don't really understand what you mean. What ultimate reality that we have to deal with? Why can't people claim what they will about their beliefs? It may be bizarre and may not make sense but if LogicalReason wants to believe he's an atheist Baha'i then fine.