Potent sources of progress; the one joy and yearning of Shoghi Effendi’s life

Jan 2012
China
What did Abdu’l-Baha say are the potent sources of the progress of man, at all times and under all conditions? What did Shoghi Effendi say was the one joy and yearning of his life?

Jan 2012
China
Don’t any Baha’is here have any interest in Abdu’l-Baha says are the potent sources of the progress of man, at all times and under all conditions, or what Shoghi Effendi said was the one joy and yearning of his life?

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
Don’t any Baha’is here have any interest in Abdu’l-Baha says are the potent sources of the progress of man, at all times and under all conditions, or what Shoghi Effendi said was the one joy and yearning of his life?
Allah'uabha, Sounds great Jim, what are your references, I would love to read them.

As with all these questions, there are a few possible answers, unless we are discussing a specific quote.

My wife and I are reading through the Kitab-i-iqan at the moment.

Two possibilities;

"As to you, O ye other handmaids who are enamoured of the heavenly fragrances, arrange ye holy gatherings, and found ye Spiritual Assemblies, for these are the basis for spreading the sweet savours of God, exalting His Word, uplifting the lamp of His grace, promulgating His religion and promoting His Teachings, and what bounty is there greater than this? These Spiritual Assemblies are aided by the Spirit of God. Their defender is ‘Abdu’l-Bahá. Over them He spreadeth His wings. What bounty is there greater than this? These Spiritual Assemblies are shining lamps and heavenly gardens, from which the fragrances of holiness are diffused over all regions, and the lights of knowledge are shed abroad over all created things. From them the spirit of life streameth in every direction. They, indeed, are the potent sources of the progress of man, at all times and under all conditions. What bounty is there greater than this?"

Could be a good answer as to why women are exempt from.serving on the Universal House of Justice.

"That the entire community may befittingly respond to the call of the present hour and bring to a final consummation the Mission with which it has been entrusted is the deepest yearning of my heart and the object of my unceasing prayers." Shoghi

Regards Tony

Reactions: jimhabegger
Jan 2012
China
Tony, yes, that was the passage I was thinking of from Abdu’l-Baha. I like that one from Shoghi Effendi, but I was thinking of a different one. Now I’m wondering how the two might be related. Also, it puts the one I was thinking of in a different light. Very interesting. I’d like to see if you can find the one I was thinking of, and then we can consider how it might have happened that Shoghi called one thing the “one joy and yearning” of his life, and something else the “deepest yearning” of his heart. I see that we might learn something from that.

Reactions: tonyfish58
Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
Tony, yes, that was the passage I was thinking of from Abdu’l-Baha. I like that one from Shoghi Effendi, but I was thinking of a different one. Now I’m wondering how the two might be related. Also, it puts the one I was thinking of in a different light. Very interesting. I’d like to see if you can find the one I was thinking of, and then we can consider how it might have happened that Shoghi called one thing the “one joy and yearning” of his life, and something else the “deepest yearning” of his heart. I see that we might learn something from that.
As it also ties into the institutions, this may be the passage you refer to;

"..And now as I look into the futrue, I hope to see the friends at all times, in every land, and of every shade of thought and character, voluntarily and joyously rallying round their local and in particular their national centres of activity, upholding and promoting their interests with complete unanimity and contentment, with perfect understanding, genuine enthusiasm, and sustained vigour. This indeed is the one joy and yearning of my life, for it is the fountain-head from which all futrue blessings will flow, the broad foundation upon which the security of the Divine Edifice must ultimately rest. May we not hope that now at last the dawn of a brighter day is breaking upon our beloved Cause?" Shoghi Effendi

I would agree that is a great vision Jim. In fact a lot of these visions saw my Wife and I sell up our new house in 1986 and head of traveling to find a home front pioneering goal. Along the way we arrived in time to be the two Baha'i an assembly needed to hold its status with 9 Baha'i and an answer to their prayers. But that was not where we were to stay and we soon after by the next Ridvan had formed an Assembly by finding 9 new Baha'i in a new location. With in a couple of years we had the opportunity to home front pioneer to a remote community and wrote to the NSA. They supported the move.

The yearning remains, but I can say this area is still not on a list to rally around. :lol:;)

Regards Tony

Reactions: jimhabegger
Jan 2012
China
For now, for me, what I'm doing to practice community building includes trying to learn to be a better friend to more more people, practicing some kind of community service in our neighborhood, inviting friends to visit us in our home, trying to have more conversations with them that might lead to collaboration in community service. One of my ideas for community service in the neighborhood is to do origami outside. We've been inviting friends and neighbors to see family photos and videos, and now we're going to try inviting them to sing songs and read poetry. That might possibly lead to saying prayers together.

Reactions: tonyfish58
Jan 2012
China
These are some thoughts that I posted in another forum, about what the House of Justice is promoting as the best response for the Baha'i community to what the world needs now:

I see the House of Justice saying that the culture of growth that it has been promoting for Baha'i communities is not only the best way for us to respond to the needs of the world today, it's also part of what the world needs to see, as evidence that all the people of the world, in all their diversity, can live and work together peacefully and happily, for the benefit of all and not just for a few at the expense of others. I'll come back to that later. For now, here's a description of the culture of growth, from this year's annual message from the House of Justice:
"...devotional meetings infuse a new spirit into the life of a community. Interwoven with educational efforts for all ages, they reinforce the lofty purpose of those efforts: to foster communities distinguished by their worship of God and their service to humankind."​

Devotional meetings, study circles, children's classes, and junior youth programs, are four of the activities that the House of Justice has been promoting for Baha'i communities, all aimed at developing capacities for service and applying them in a spirit of service, which according to Baha'u'llah counts as worship of God.

Here's another description of the culture of learning and growth that the House of Justice has been promoting from its 2008 annual message:
"Thousands upon thousands, embracing the diversity of the entire human family, are engaged in systematic study of the Creative Word in an environment that is at once serious and uplifting. As they strive to apply through a process of action, reflection and consultation the insights thus gained, they see their capacity to serve the Cause rise to new levels. Responding to the inmost longing of every heart to commune with its Maker, they carry out acts of collective worship in diverse settings, uniting with others in prayer, awakening spiritual susceptibilities, and shaping a pattern of life distinguished for its devotional character. As they call on one another in their homes and pay visits to families, friends and acquaintances, they enter into purposeful discussion on themes of spiritual import, deepen their knowledge of the Faith, share Bahá’u’lláh’s message, and welcome increasing numbers to join them in a mighty spiritual enterprise. Aware of the aspirations of the children of the world and their need for spiritual education, they extend their efforts widely to involve ever-growing contingents of participants in classes that become centres of attraction for the young and strengthen the roots of the Faith in society. They assist junior youth to navigate through a crucial stage of their lives and to become empowered to direct their energies toward the advancement of civilization. And with the advantage of a greater abundance of human resources, an increasing number of them are able to express their faith through a rising tide of endeavours that address the needs of humanity in both their spiritual and material dimensions. Such is the panorama before us as we pause this Riḍván to observe the progress of the worldwide Bahá’í community."​

It all revolves around building healthier, happier, more loving communities by developing capacities for service and applying them in a spirit of service. Devotional meetings to help put us in the right spirit for the work that we're doing, study circles, children's classes and junior youth programs to develop qualities and capacities for service. Spending time together and with others in each other's homes, learning to raise the level of our everyday conversations to discussions that lead to action, about how to respond to the needs of the world today. The more that a community's capacities for service and spirit of service have progressed, the more it can participate in beneficial ways in economic and social development activities responding to the needs of the world.

Anyone who wants to participate in what the House of Justice is promoting can roleplay it if they can't be directly involved in it any other way. It can be a way of praying with actions, and of understanding better what the House of Justice is promoting, in order to better encourage and support people we know who are directly involved in it. It can also be rewarding in itself, and help improve a person's life and service to the Faith.

The message "One Common Faith," commissioned and supervised by the House of Justice for all Baha'is to study, says that the community building that the House of Justice is promoting, along with a deep understanding of the process by which humanity’s spiritual life evolves, is the best way for Baha'is to respond to the urgent need to remedy the disease of sectarian hatreds, and free the religious spirit to exert its healing influence on the social order. Anyone who wants to can participate in that community building by studying what the House of Justice says about it, and if they can't actually be directly involved, they can roleplay it, to better understand it and support it, to pray for it with actions, for the rewards in it, and to improve their lives and their service to others.

Besides being the best response for Baha'is to help remedy the disease of sectarian hatreds, I also see it as the best way to help reduce the damage from disasters and help communities recover from them, and the best way to help improve the lives of all people everywhere, now and into the future. I think that the best way for anyone to see that for themselves is to try it. If they can't be directly involved in it, they can roleplay it, to understand it better, and by understanding it better, they can see for themselves if what I'm saying about it is true or not.

Anyone, Baha'i or not, can practice and promote the kind of community building that the House of Justice is promoting, even if they don't believe what we say about God and Baha'u'llah, and even if they have no interest in becoming members, so being the only Baha'i in a community is no reason not to do it.

According to "One Common Faith," the community building is also what the world needs to see, to see that it is possible for all the people of the world, in all their diversity, to live and work together peacefully and happily.in ways that help bring out the best in people and in society. Seeing the community building that we're doing can help strengthen, encourage and inspire anyone who is trying to help improve the world for all people everywhere, no matter if they believe what we're saying about God and Baha'u'llah or not.