Question about a verse from the Kitab-i-Iqan

Nov 2015
France
Allah'u'Abha

In the Kitab-i-Iqan, paragraph 7, there is written, on the subject of Noah :
"He several times promised victory to His companions and fixed the hour thereof. But when the hour struck, the divine promise was not fulfilled. This caused a few among the small number of His followers to turn away from Him, and to this testify the records of the best known books."

In the Quran and Torah, there is not written that the promise was unfulfilled and that his disciples left Noah. So, what does "the records of the best known books" mean ?

EDIT : Second question from the same passage :

Finally, as stated in books and traditions, there remained with Him only forty or seventy-two of His followers.

What are these books ?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Jul 2018
Tarshish, bound for Nineveh
Allah'u'Abha

In the Kitab-i-Iqan, paragraph 7, there is written, on the subject of Noah :
"He several times promised victory to His companions and fixed the hour thereof. But when the hour struck, the divine promise was not fulfilled. This caused a few among the small number of His followers to turn away from Him, and to this testify the records of the best known books."

In the Quran and Torah, there is not written that the promise was unfulfilled and that his disciples left Noah. So, what does "the records of the best known books" mean ?

EDIT : Second question from the same passage :

Finally, as stated in books and traditions, there remained with Him only forty or seventy-two of His followers.

What are these books ?

Thank you.
I do not know for sure, but it seems to me, based on your quote, that it means hadith and tafsir. Your second quote of "books and traditions (hadith)" clue me in that the first part "best known books" is also "(best known) books (and hadith)."

Its important to keep in mind that the collections of tafisr and hadith are vast and that they do trend and change over time as far as which are most known and popular. Many of the best known works of Baha'u'llah's time have since become obscure or little known. It doesn't really matter, in my opinion. I do not believe that Baha'u'llah is attempting to divulge little known historical facts about the life and ministry of Noah. Why would he? Rather, in my opinion, he is using the popular stories and beliefs in use by the people of his time to relate with them and teach them something new and enlighten them to his cause.

Cheers