Question about Gleanings XVIII

Jan 2018
United States
Hello everyone,

I am wondering if anyone else has found this passage from Gleanings to be difficult to understand. I am not speaking in terms of interpretation, but simply the outer meaning.

"Say: Perused ye not the Qur’án? Read it, that haply ye may find the Truth, for this Book is verily the Straight Path. This is the Way of God unto all who are in the heavens and all who are on the earth. If ye have been careless of the Qur’án, the Bayán cannot be regarded to be remote from you. Behold it open before your eyes. Read ye its verses, that perchance ye may desist from committing that which will cause the Messengers of God to mourn and lament."

It would seem to me that if one was careless of the Qur’án the Bayán would be remote (in a spiritual sense), and not the other way around. Also, I would assume that almost all the Babis and early Baha'is would have been very familiar with the Qur’án, so this can't be interpreted in terms of access to particular books.

I'm probably missing something quite obvious, but any help or discussion would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 2009
earth
I am not sure but just a suggestion: that the distance of the believer from the Holy Books suggested may be one of time in that the Bayan is much more recent. Is it being suggested that if someone has disregarded an ancient Book of God then there is one that is current?

Jul 2018
Tarshish, bound for Nineveh
Hello everyone,

I am wondering if anyone else has found this passage from Gleanings to be difficult to understand. I am not speaking in terms of interpretation, but simply the outer meaning.

"Say: Perused ye not the Qur’án? Read it, that haply ye may find the Truth, for this Book is verily the Straight Path. This is the Way of God unto all who are in the heavens and all who are on the earth. If ye have been careless of the Qur’án, the Bayán cannot be regarded to be remote from you. Behold it open before your eyes. Read ye its verses, that perchance ye may desist from committing that which will cause the Messengers of God to mourn and lament."

It would seem to me that if one was careless of the Qur’án the Bayán would be remote (in a spiritual sense), and not the other way around. Also, I would assume that almost all the Babis and early Baha'is would have been very familiar with the Qur’án, so this can't be interpreted in terms of access to particular books.

I'm probably missing something quite obvious, but any help or discussion would be greatly appreciated.
I do not remember reading this one before, and yes, it does have an awkward feel to it for the reason you said and also because the style isn't contemporary and feels strange in that part. However, when I tried to think about it in modern language it makes sense to me:

If you consider the Qur'an lacking in significance and relevance (ie you don't care about it) [due to its remoteness (in time) from you] then you must not consider the Bayan, which is near to you [not remote (in time)], as insignificant.

I think about how some people talk about the Bible in this way, the superstitious beliefs of a distant past, out of touch with our times and irrelevant to our lives. Perhaps this is the meaning of the verse.

Thanks for sharing it!