Quote of the Day, 4 Bahá 173 BE

Oct 2013
United States
"The world is continually proclaiming these words: Beware, I am evanescent, and so are all my outward appearances and colours. Take ye heed of the changes and chances contrived within me and be ye roused from your slumber. Nevertheless there is no discerning eye to see, nor is there a hearing ear to hearken."

- Tablets of Baha'u'llah

Oct 2014
Stockholm
An amazing quote! This is a theme that one finds in the Faith - that all things have a language, that seemingly lifeless objects and soulless tendencies speak to those who are able to hear.

gnat

Mar 2016
American Continent
" The world is but a show, vain and empty, a mere nothing, bearing the semblance of reality. Set not your affections upon it. Break not the bond that uniteth you with your Creator, and be not of those that have erred and strayed from His ways. Verily I say, the world is like the vapor in a desert, which the thirsty dreameth to be water and striveth after it with all his might, until when he cometh unto it, he findeth it to be mere illusion. It may, moreover, be likened unto the lifeless image of the beloved whom the lover hath sought and found, in the end, after long search and to his utmost regret, to be such as cannot "fatten nor appease his hunger."

Gleanings from the writings of Bahá'u'lláh CLIII

Aug 2014
Blue Planet
thank you Mathew for sharing these quotes. it is a very good thing to me to read a wise sentence every day. keep going forever :)

Aug 2014
Blue Planet
" The world is but a show, vain and empty, a mere nothing, bearing the semblance of reality. Set not your affections upon it. Break not the bond that uniteth you with your Creator, and be not of those that have erred and strayed from His ways. Verily I say, the world is like the vapor in a desert, which the thirsty dreameth to be water and striveth after it with all his might, until when he cometh unto it, he findeth it to be mere illusion. It may, moreover, be likened unto the lifeless image of the beloved whom the lover hath sought and found, in the end, after long search and to his utmost regret, to be such as cannot "fatten nor appease his hunger."

Gleanings from the writings of Bahá'u'lláh CLIII

very beautiful and wise....
I do not know how many times we have heard wise words like these, saying that world is but a show, a dream, dust, mere nothingness .... and we are still attached to our happiness and sorrows!
I wish for all of us (or maybe you are already detached :) ) to learn to really use these gems of wisdom in real life.

Nov 2015
United States
Interesting. Gnat's takeaway (that he shared) was that everything in this world speaks to us. My first takeaway was a reaffirmation of another quote.

"Be anxiously concerned with the needs of the age ye live in, and center your deliberations on its exigencies and requirements." - Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh

It seems that by looking at how the world is in flux, perhaps we can learn what we need to learn in order to center our "deliberations on its exigencies and requirements."

Oct 2014
Stockholm
Interesting. Gnat's takeaway (that he shared) was that everything in this world speaks to us. My first takeaway was a reaffirmation of another quote.

"Be anxiously concerned with the needs of the age ye live in, and center your deliberations on its exigencies and requirements." - Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh

It seems that by looking at how the world is in flux, perhaps we can learn what we need to learn in order to center our "deliberations on its exigencies and requirements."
Also a very good quote. Imagine if we would gather in our communities and ask ourselves what the biggest issues are at present and how we as individuals and as a community could best serve the society we are living in,and consider such things as
- choice of profession and education of the young members;
- community service as individuals and as a community;
- gatherings on themes chosen to address those issues, with suitable texts, etc.

That would be teaching on another level, not necessariy to gain proselytes, but to inspire concerned people of all creeds from all walks of life.

gnat