Reincarnation

Jul 2018
Tarshish, bound for Nineveh
There is reincarnation in one sense (although in our faith we call it "return") and I feel it is somewhat consistent with the relationship between karma and reincarnation, as I understand them, as well as the teachings of the Bahai faith.

When individuals and societies live materialistic and wicked lives, these qualities and attributes are perpetuated in the future generations (reincarnation/ return of qualities), and even increase over time, leading to regression into baser and less heavenly forms. When individuals and societies turn away from materialism and wickedness, however, then the reincarnation/return of these negative qualities diminish and the society and individuals progress ie their qualities and attributes reincarnate/return at a higher level, and this progress will continue onward until Nirvana, ie attaining to the presence, or the Kingdom of God.

Cheers

Reactions: certitude
Aug 2019
Berlin
Very good idea, Luqman. As I understand, you see it more on the level of cultural progress than a metaphysical conception. I like it, it's one of the best transmissions on this subject I've heard so far. Thank you for sharing.

Jul 2018
Tarshish, bound for Nineveh
Very good idea, Luqman. As I understand, you see it more on the level of cultural progress than a metaphysical conception. I like it, it's one of the best transmissions on this subject I've heard so far. Thank you for sharing.
Certitude,

I take this idea from the Bahai teachings on return. For example, the return of Christ, the return of Imam Hussein, the return of Elijah, Fatimah, Ali, etc, etc, all returned during the time of the Bab and Baha'ullah, as you will discover in the writings (especially those of the Bab). It would be easy to misunderstand such writings literally, and then conclude that at least in those cases, Bahais believe in reincarnation. However, we understand (as the Bab and Baha'u'llah have clearly explained) that by all of these returns it is not intended that the personalities or souls, but rather, attributes, characteristics, and spirit. It is from this that I extrapolate a hypothesis of how one could rethink reincarnation in such a way that is compatible with the Bahai writings even though it obviously differs from what people who believe in reincarnation mean when they talk about it. Naturally, reincarnation as it is commonly believed, is not compatible with Bahai teachings.

I am glad you like the idea.

Cheers

Last edited:
Aug 2019
Berlin
I like this explanation because I've asked myself many times: If the attributes or qualities of the Word of God return in the manifestations, why shouldn't this principle also apply to other people?
It reminds me somewhat of the Buddhist idea of reincarnation. Or rather, a cultural interpretation of the idea of reincarnation as advocated by Buddhists.
When certain qualities reincarnate, certain personalities will return. Just as you described it: If the materialistic way of life becomes strong, then materialistic structures will remain in society and the consequence will be that materialistic people will develop.It is also a good explanation of how the idea of reincarnation can contribute to the positive development of society. When we talk about how the manifestations were meant to advance society, we wonder how the idea of reincarnation, which is exclusively spiritual, can contribute. Your explanation offers a good approach.
What I like about the Bahai way of thinking is that theology is very rational at its core. I also think of the manifestations: All people have different qualities of God, they are precious stones. But if you recognize a person who has the qualities of God to the maximum extent that he is closer to God than the other people, then you can recognize a manifestation of God.
In this sense I like the conclusions you have drawn from the Bahai scriptures in the question of reincarnation. It is very clear and rationally accessible and it is consistent with the scriptures.

Last edited: