Reincarnation

Aug 2014
Blue Planet
Has Bahaullah rejected the law of karma and reincarnation.....
No dear Venu
Baha'ullah has not rejected the law of Karma; even Islam has not rejected it as you think. in fact Karma is too obviously true to be rejected. Yet, as for the word "reincarnation", I do not think that is the only way for the Karma law to work, and Baha'ullah has given new definition regarding it. what if humanity, at its childhood stage, had understood the meaning of reincarnation wrongly?

Feb 2019
Chicago
Thou hast asked Me concerning the nature of the soul. Know, verily, that the soul is a sign of God, a heavenly gem whose reality the most learned of men hath failed to grasp, and whose mystery no mind, however acute, can ever hope to unravel. It is the first among all created things to declare the excellence of its Creator, the first to recognize His glory, to cleave to His truth, and to bow down in adoration before Him. If it be faithful to God, it will reflect His light, and will, eventually, return to Him. If it fail, however, in its allegiance to its Creator, it will become a victim to self and passion, and will, in the end, sink in their depths. – Baha’u’llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha’u’llah, LXXXII, pp. 158-59

Check out the text highlighted above. Bahaullah is saying that if the soul is not faithful to God, it will become a victim to self and passion. Any reference to self and passion implies an incarnation - that is birth in a physical form. I suspect many folks here will disagree with me which is fine but I would humbly ask for a logical explanation. I think we need to consider that since God has has give us free will, we can use it to evolve spiritually and grow closer to God and manifest His divine qualities in our lives or we can reject God and promote evil. What happens to the people who belong to the latter category. If someone is addicted to wine and sex and dies without overcoming that addiction, how does the soul overcome the desire for wine and sex without a physical body. It cannot help but reincarnate and become a victim to self and passion as Bahaullah says.

Jul 2019
Sevilla
No dear Venu
Baha'ullah has not rejected the law of Karma; even Islam has not rejected it as you think. in fact Karma is too obviously true to be rejected. Yet, as for the word "reincarnation", I do not think that is the only way for the Karma law to work, and Baha'ullah has given new definition regarding it. what if humanity, at its childhood stage, had understood the meaning of reincarnation wrongly?
It seems to me Islam preaches fate not compensation through karma. They believe in destiny.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk Pro

Mar 2013
Edwardsville, Illinois, USA
Thou hast asked Me concerning the nature of the soul. Know, verily, that the soul is a sign of God, a heavenly gem whose reality the most learned of men hath failed to grasp, and whose mystery no mind, however acute, can ever hope to unravel. It is the first among all created things to declare the excellence of its Creator, the first to recognize His glory, to cleave to His truth, and to bow down in adoration before Him. If it be faithful to God, it will reflect His light, and will, eventually, return to Him. If it fail, however, in its allegiance to its Creator, it will become a victim to self and passion, and will, in the end, sink in their depths. – Baha’u’llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha’u’llah, LXXXII, pp. 158-59

Check out the text highlighted above. Bahaullah is saying that if the soul is not faithful to God, it will become a victim to self and passion. Any reference to self and passion implies an incarnation - that is birth in a physical form. I suspect many folks here will disagree with me which is fine but I would humbly ask for a logical explanation. I think we need to consider that since God has has give us free will, we can use it to evolve spiritually and grow closer to God and manifest His divine qualities in our lives or we can reject God and promote evil. What happens to the people who belong to the latter category. If someone is addicted to wine and sex and dies without overcoming that addiction, how does the soul overcome the desire for wine and sex without a physical body. It cannot help but reincarnate and become a victim to self and passion as Bahaullah says.
You ask for a logical explanation, so I will try. In this earthly life we develop physical capabilities but most importantly we must develop spiritual capacity. We must fulfill physical needs to live, but the right way to do so is with spiritual values, based on love, helping others, honest work and effort, not being greedy or dishonest. God teaches us to live in a spiritual way through his Manifestations. When a society shows spiritual values it benefits everyone, when people fulfill their physical needs through hate, greed or violence it hurts everyone.

We see that people are born, live a life, hopefully a good life, and die, but their spirit continues. The law of Karma strongly supports spiritual reward sometimes called heaven for people who live a spiritual life, because this reward is the greatest joy for them. Why send them back to the physical world, they deserve their reward. But what about those who live only to benefit themselves physically are greedy and hurt others, and pay no attention to their spiritual condition. They deserve a punishment according to Karma, but why should they go back to the physical world again just so they can continue to be greedy and harm others. Karma should say that since they have hated the spirit their punishment is in the world of the spirit, where they have not developed any ability, they are weak and have regret about all the bad things they did.
Do you agree that this is logical?

Mar 2013
_
To think of reincarnation or rebirth is to get overly focused on things that are beyond comprehension, or try to apply natural law to the journey of the soul. We have been reminded in scripture the soul is beyond comprehension.

The Buddha stressed the importance not of soul but nonsoul, that is that what we are, what we do, is the sum of causes and conditions that have happened, are happening and what they will become. If someone nearly caused me to have a car accident in the morning, those actions affect me. I am grumpy. I am careless with speech because I am thinking about that over and over and not on what I should be doing now. So I snap at someone during the day, undeservedly, maybe even a friend, and make them feel bad. Now they will carry on that effect into their day, and on and on. Causes and conditions. Religions tend to stress that death is not the end, but that the journey continues and the results of these causes and conditions will have an affect on what "we" will become.

It was not much different thousands of years ago when the Egyptians believed that one's soul was weighed upon death.

Where Abrahamic religions seem to differ from those of the Vedic tradition most importantly is that they do imply your current condition is caused by past actions. This to me can be a very dangerous trap and a easy excuse for dismissing the ailments of the world or the conditions of the downtrodden. "Well, that's their kamma" someone might say, even about a poor starving, mistreated baby.

"
8. When the girl, buried alive, is asked:
9. For what crime was she killed?
10. When the records are made public.
11. When the sky is peeled away.
12. When the Fire is set ablaze.
13. When Paradise is brought near.
14. Each soul will know what it has readied. "
-Qu'ran Sura 81 (copied from clearquran, a translation I am finding very helpful for me)

We know that bad things happen because of causes and conditions. Because people act on their most base impulses, because bad things simply happen in an imperfect world.

So previous births when Baha'i scripture states this life is the soul's beginning? I cannot say, except i think if we can admit we do not really understand the soul at all, then we must assume that linear time does not necessarily apply to the life beyond, and we do not really understand "our" connection to the path of the soul except what information we've been given. I suppose it remains a door one must past through to learn more about, and while I know that day will come, I am not in any hurry :D

Feb 2019
Chicago
You ask for a logical explanation, so I will try. In this earthly life we develop physical capabilities but most importantly we must develop spiritual capacity. We must fulfill physical needs to live, but the right way to do so is with spiritual values, based on love, helping others, honest work and effort, not being greedy or dishonest. God teaches us to live in a spiritual way through his Manifestations. When a society shows spiritual values it benefits everyone, when people fulfill their physical needs through hate, greed or violence it hurts everyone.

We see that people are born, live a life, hopefully a good life, and die, but their spirit continues. The law of Karma strongly supports spiritual reward sometimes called heaven for people who live a spiritual life, because this reward is the greatest joy for them. Why send them back to the physical world, they deserve their reward. But what about those who live only to benefit themselves physically are greedy and hurt others, and pay no attention to their spiritual condition. They deserve a punishment according to Karma, but why should they go back to the physical world again just so they can continue to be greedy and harm others. Karma should say that since they have hated the spirit their punishment is in the world of the spirit, where they have not developed any ability, they are weak and have regret about all the bad things they did.
Do you agree that this is logical?
I was requesting a logical explanation of Bahaullah's assertion that a soul that is not faithful to God will become a victim of self and passion and sink in their depths. Let me ask differently. If a soul does not reincarnate, how is it possible for it to become a victim of self and passion given that any definition of self refers to a person/personality. Passion can only be experienced in a physical body and mind. A soul has no human body and human mind. So how does the soul experience human passion? How is it logically possible?

Every process that God created is cyclic in nature. Please investigate independently this simple truth because such an investigation is consistent with core Bahai principles. If you can find a process that God created which is not cyclic, I would be interested to know.

Bahaullah like the Hindu avatars has taught that love is the reason God created man. But most people including those who are considered spiritual may not have perfected their love for God. God is the ultimate judge of the condition of our hearts and minds. Those who have not perfected their love by purification of their hearts through spiritual effort will be given more opportunities to attain that goal. To rid the heart of human imperfections, a human incarnation becomes necessary. A soul acquires karma in a human body and it needs to be worked out in a human body. The soul cannot express itself or work out it's desires or karma without a body. So it creates a body in the womb to express itself and the karma works in the womb as well which is why some souls are born in female bodies while others are born in male bodies. Some souls are able to create healthy bodies while others end up creating bodies with congential diseases because the karma interfered with the process of creation. If you have a blind person and lame person team together such that the lame person is sitting on the shoulders of the blind person to steal some fruits from an orchard, would you not punish both of them if they are unrepentant. It is a similar situation with the soul and body. The former cannot express itself without a body and the latter cannot function without a soul. Together they end up making mistakes and accumulate karma and the law of karma takes its toll on them.

Last edited:
Mar 2013
Edwardsville, Illinois, USA
Venu,

I have provided a precise answer as to how a soul who has been a victim of self and passion will sink in their depths. In the world of the spirit, self and passion have no basis of support, what supports and elevates a person is spiritual strength and qualities. So in the spiritual world, a victim of self and passion will sink to the bottom, will sense regret for what they have lost. Whereas, in this material world, unfortunately many who are the victim of self and passion actually rise to a high level in society and do not realize that they are missing spiritual qualities. They think they are doing well because they have money and influence. So logically, the correct destiny for such a person is in the spiritual world where they can see those who they used to consider weak because they are kind and good are really much stronger and happier than they are.

God is merciful, so even those people can progress with God’s help. For this reason, the point you make about love is very true. God loves all His creatures even those who are lost in self and passion, and they do have opportunities to progress, although much limited compared with those who are strong spiritually.

Yes, I agree all processes in creation are cyclic, but they do not always involve the same individual creatures, new creatures take their place and go through the cycle again. Furthermore, Baha’u’llah talks about many worlds of God so progress from one spiritual world to another is like being born into a new world. Reincarnation can symbolically represent that process.

I was requesting a logical explanation of Baha’u’llahs assertion that a soul that is not faithful to God will become a victim of self and passion and sink in their depths. Let me ask differently. If a soul does not reincarnate, how is it possible for it to become a victim of self and passion given that any definition of self refers to a person/personality. Passion can only be experienced in a physical body and mind. A soul has no human body and human mind. So how does the soul experience human passion? How is it logically possible?

Every process that God created is cyclic in nature. Please investigate independently this simple truth because such an investigation is consistent with core Bahai principles. If you can find a process that God created which is not cyclic, I would be interested to know.

Bahaullah like the Hindu avatars has taught that love is the reason God created man. But most people including those who are considered spiritual may not have perfected their love for God. God is the ultimate judge of the condition of our hearts and minds. Those who have not perfected their love by purification of their hearts through spiritual effort will be given more opportunities to attain that goal. To rid the heart of human imperfections, a human incarnation becomes necessary. A soul acquires karma in a human body and it needs to be worked out in a human body. The soul cannot express itself or work out it's desires or karma without a body. So it creates a body in the womb to express itself and the karma works in the womb as well which is why some souls are born in female bodies while others are born in male bodies. Some souls are able to create healthy bodies while others end up creating bodies with congential diseases because the karma interfered with the process of creation. If you have a blind person and lame person team together such that the lame person is sitting on the shoulders of the blind person to steal some fruits from an orchard, would you not punish both of them if they are unrepentant. It is a similar situation with the soul and body. The former cannot express itself without a body and the latter cannot function without a soul. Together they end up making mistakes and accumulate karma and the law of karma takes its toll on them.

Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
I was requesting a logical explanation of Bahaullah's assertion that a soul that is not faithful to God will become a victim of self and passion and sink in their depths. Let me ask differently. If a soul does not reincarnate, how is it possible for it to become a victim of self and passion given that any definition of self refers to a person/personality. Passion can only be experienced in a physical body and mind. A soul has no human body and human mind. So how does the soul experience human passion? How is it logically possible?
I was just passing by and noticed this post.
I read sources that are not scriptural because I am very interested in the spiritual world.
Whereas this is not scriptural, below is an apt description of hell that makes logical sense to me.

“I have looked into hell! I may have to return to that region. I shall be given my choice. Grant that I may be strong enough to offer myself freely. Hell is a thought region. Evil dwells there and works out its purposes. The forces used to hold mankind down in the darkness of ignorance are generated in hell! It is not a place; it is a condition. The human race has created the condition. It has taken millions of years to reach its present state. I dare not tell you what I saw there.... At first I refused to go.... There was no life, no light there. One felt stagnation everywhere. The angel said that was the most insidious kind of hell, stagnation, because no one recognised it as such. Contrary to belief, hell itself, or rather that part of it visited by my brother and the angel, is brilliantly lighted. The light is coarse, artificial. It keeps out the light of God. In this awful glare the angel's light nearly lost its radiance.

All this my brother told me afterwards. Those who die filled with thoughts of selfishness and sensuality are attracted down the grey avenues toward this hell of the senses. The darkness of the deep forests appalls, the loneliness is intense. At last, light is seen ahead. It is not the light of heaven, it is the lure of hell. These poor souls hasten onwards, though not toward destruction; there is no such thing. They hasten down into conditions that are the counterpart of their own interior condition. The Law is at work. This hell is a hell of the illusions and is itself an illusion. I find this hard to credit. Those who enter it are led to believe that the only realities are the sense passions and the beliefs of the human 'I'. This hell consists in believing the unreal to be real. It consists in the lure of the senses without the possibility of gratifying them. I was told a great deal more about this awful region, but I must not pass it on. The angel said that the 'condition' would ultimately dissolve into nothingness. Hell or apparently that part of it we are speaking about, depends for its existence on human thoughts and feelings. The race will never rise to greatness until the passions are controlled. This refers to nations and to individuals. On earth I was never interested in such matters. I did not realise the existence of the sexual canker at the heart of human life. What a terrible thing this is! Do not wait until you come over here. Set to work at once. There is no time to lose. Gain control of self. Then retain control by emptying yourself of self. All the thoughts of lust and passion, greed, hatred, envy, and, above all, selfishness, passing through the minds of men and women, generate the 'condition' called hell.

Purgatory and hell are different states. We all must needs pass through a purging, purifying process after leaving earth life. I am still in purgatory. Some day I shall rise above it. The majority who come over here rise above or rather THROUGH purgatory into higher conditions. A minority refuse to relinquish their thoughts and beliefs in the pleasures of sin and the reality of the sense life. They sink by the weight of their own thoughts. No outside power can attract a man against his will. A man sinks or rises through the action of a spiritual law of gravity. He is never safe until he has emptied himself completely. You see how I emphasise this fact. Some of these thoughts came to me whilst I waited in that gloomy forest. Then the angel and my brother returned. They had found him for whom they sought. He would not come away. They had to leave him there. Fear held him. He said his existence was awful, but he was afraid to move lest worse conditions should befall him.” Private Dowding, pp. 32-35

Another book that has a VERY similar description of hell is Heaven and Hell.

It is no wonder Baha'u'llah wrote the following:

“Know thou that every hearing ear, if kept pure and undefiled, must, at all times and from every direction, hearken to the voice that uttereth these holy words: “Verily, we are God’s, and to Him shall we return.” The mysteries of man’s physical death and of his return have not been divulged, and still remain unread. By the righteousness of God! Were they to be revealed, they would evoke such fear and sorrow that some would perish, while others would be so filled with gladness as to wish for death, and beseech, with unceasing longing, the one true God—exalted be His glory—to hasten their end.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 345

Feb 2019
Chicago
Venu,

I have provided a precise answer as to how a soul who has been a victim of self and passion will sink in their depths. In the world of the spirit, self and passion have no basis of support, what supports and elevates a person is spiritual strength and qualities. So in the spiritual world, a victim of self and passion will sink to the bottom, will sense regret for what they have lost. Whereas, in this material world, unfortunately many who are the victim of self and passion actually rise to a high level in society and do not realize that they are missing spiritual qualities. They think they are doing well because they have money and influence. So logically, the correct destiny for such a person is in the spiritual world where they can see those who they used to consider weak because they are kind and good are really much stronger and happier than they are.

God is merciful, so even those people can progress with God’s help. For this reason, the point you make about love is very true. God loves all His creatures even those who are lost in self and passion, and they do have opportunities to progress, although much limited compared with those who are strong spiritually.

Yes, I agree all processes in creation are cyclic, but they do not always involve the same individual creatures, new creatures take their place and go through the cycle again. Furthermore, Baha’u’llah talks about many worlds of God so progress from one spiritual world to another is like being born into a new world. Reincarnation can symbolically represent that process.
Thank you for your response. You are talking about the happenings in the spiritual world which cannot be verified. You are promoting an unverifiable belief system which is contrary to independent investigation of the truth that the Bahai Faith is supposed to promote. Whether or not life and death is cyclic can be verified. The fundamental unit of human life is the human cell. Every day many new cells are born in the human body while the older cells die and "mysteriously" disappear in to the same human body that produced them. The new cells grow, work and die. This is a cyclic process similar to new stars and planets taking birth in the cosmos on a daily basis and older ones mysteriously disappearing in to the vast space. Just like the cyclic process of the moon around the earth is part of the bigger cyclic process of the earth around the Sun, the birth and death of human cells is part of the bigger cycle of the soul creating and leaving a human body in a cyclic way. The human body is made from the minerals of the earth through the medium of food and it goes back to the earth at death. It is a cyclic process. Since the soul is not a physical being, you cannot easily verify the soul creating a new body for itself unless you are spiritually very advanced and are able to operate spiritual laws normally unknown to the common man. But you can logically come to some sensible conclusions about reincarnation on the basis of the events happening in the physical world that are verifiable.

Since God is fair to everyone and loves everyone equally it can be reasoned that God will provide equal opportunities and abilities for everyone. I am sure even a human father who derives his sense of fairness from God will try to be fair to all his children. However, when we look at human life and conditions around the world, it is anything but fair. Some people are born in wealthy families while some are born in very poor families and even die of starvation. Some are born with healthy bodies while others are born with congenital diseases. Some live long while others die young. Some are happy and joyful while others are prone to depression and suicide. Even in a single family we notice that when children have identical opportunities for advancement and are raised by the same parents in the same environment in a similar manner, they end up with completely different personalities. How is it that some people like Einstein have extremely high levels of intelligence while others can't even master high school physics and mathematics. Some kids from a very young age can be angry while others are very gentle and docile. Why do some souls incarnate in female body while others incarnate in a male body. Why do some turn out to be homosexuals while most are heterosexuals. How is God being fair to someone that is born blind or in a poor family where he is forced to die of starvation. Why does God watch silently when so many evils happen around the world. How do you explain seemingly innocent people dying in a plane crash or in a Tsunami? I have Bahai friends who were persecuted in Iran and they came to the U.S as refugees. Why should God allow them to be persecuted? Why is that Bahaullah did not perform any miracles to save them from persecution. Would it not be better if these people were born in the U.S. They would have avoided all persecution and enjoyed the freedom of America, freely practicing their religion. Why should God allow them to be born in an area of world where God knew they would be persecuted. If they were meant to live in the U.S for most of their life, why take birth in Iran, go through persecution and then come to the U.S. Why not directly take birth in the U.S?

I think we should first try to understand how God is working in the physical world before we venture in to explaining God's workings in the spiritual world. At least the events in the physical world can be verified. Only the law of karma and reincarnation can provide answers to the questions I have raised. I will post an true incident from the life of the Hindu avatar Paramahansa Yogananda on the topic of reincarnation. It should make an interesting reading.

Feb 2019
Chicago
This is one of the chapter's from the world famous book on Yoga - Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda. It was the only book on Apple founder Steve Job's i-pad. Also it was Steve Jobs' last gift handed out at his memorial service.
Steve Jobs' last gift

Kashi, Reborn and Rediscovered

Chapter 28

“Please do not go into the water. Let us bathe by dipping our buckets.”
I was addressing the young Ranchi students who were accompanying me on an eight-mile hike to a neighboring hill. The pond before us was inviting, but a distaste for it had arisen in my mind. The group around me followed my example of dipping buckets, but a few lads yielded to the temptation of the cool waters. No sooner had they dived than large water snakes wiggled around them. The boys came out of the pond with comical alacrity.
We enjoyed a picnic lunch after we reached our destination. I sat under a tree, surrounded by a group of students. Finding me in an inspirational mood, they plied me with questions.
“Please tell me, sir,” one youth inquired, “if I shall always stay with you in the path of renunciation.”
“Ah, no,” I replied, “you will be forcibly taken away to your home, and later you will marry.”
Incredulous, he made a vehement protest. “Only if I am dead can I be carried home.” But in a few months, his parents arrived to take him away, in spite of his tearful resistance; some years later, he did marry.
After answering many questions, I was addressed by a lad named Kashi. He was about twelve years old, a brilliant student, and beloved by all.
“Sir,” he said, “what will be my fate?”
“You shall soon be dead.” The reply came from my lips with an irresistible force.
This unexpected disclosure shocked and grieved me as well as everyone present. Silently rebuking myself as an enfant terrible, I refused to answer further questions.
On our return to the school, Kashi came to my room.
“If I die, will you find me when I am reborn, and bring me again to the spiritual path?” He sobbed.
I felt constrained to refuse this difficult occult responsibility. But for weeks afterward, Kashi pressed me doggedly. Seeing him unnerved to the breaking point, I finally consoled him.
“Yes,” I promised. “If the Heavenly Father lends His aid, I will try to find you.”
During the summer vacation, I started on a short trip. Regretting that I could not take Kashi with me, I called him to my room before leaving, and carefully instructed him to remain, against all persuasion, in the spiritual vibrations of the school. Somehow I felt that if he did not go home, he might avoid the impending calamity.
No sooner had I left than Kashi’s father arrived in Ranchi. For fifteen days he tried to break the will of his son, explaining that if Kashi would go to Calcutta for only four days to see his mother, he could then return. Kashi persistently refused. The father finally said he would take the boy away with the help of the police. The threat disturbed Kashi, who was unwilling to be the cause of any unfavorable publicity to the school. He saw no choice but to go.
I returned to Ranchi a few days later. When I heard how Kashi had been removed, I entrained at once for Calcutta. There I engaged a horse cab. Very strangely, as the vehicle passed beyond the Howrah bridge over the Ganges, I beheld Kashi’s father and other relatives in mourning clothes. Shouting to my driver to stop, I rushed out and glared at the unfortunate father.
“Mr. Murderer,” I cried somewhat unreasonably, “you have killed my boy!”
The father had already realized the wrong he had done in forcibly bringing Kashi to Calcutta. During the few days the boy had been there, he had eaten contaminated food, contracted cholera, and passed on.
My love for Kashi, and the pledge to find him after death, night and day haunted me. No matter where I went, his face loomed up before me. I began a memorable search for him, even as long ago I had searched for my lost mother.
I felt that inasmuch as God had given me the faculty of reason, I must utilize it and tax my powers to the utmost in order to discover the subtle laws by which I could know the boy’s astral whereabouts. He was a soul vibrating with unfulfilled desires, I realizeda mass of light floating somewhere amidst millions of luminous souls in the astral regions. How was I to tune in with him, among so many vibrating lights of other souls?
Using a secret yoga technique, I broadcasted my love to Kashi’s soul through the microphone of the spiritual eye, the inner point between the eyebrows. With the antenna of upraised hands and fingers, I often turned myself round and round, trying to locate the direction in which he had been reborn as an embryo. I hoped to receive response from him in the concentration-tuned radio of my heart.1
I intuitively felt that Kashi would soon return to the earth, and that if I kept unceasingly broadcasting my call to him, his soul would reply. I knew that the slightest impulse sent by Kashi would be felt in my fingers, hands, arms, spine, and nerves.
With undiminished zeal, I practiced the yoga method steadily for about six months after Kashi’s death. Walking with a few friends one morning in the crowded Bowbazar section of Calcutta, I lifted my hands in the usual manner. For the first time, there was response. I thrilled to detect electrical impulses trickling down my fingers and palms. These currents translated themselves into one overpowering thought from a deep recess of my consciousness: “I am Kashi; I am Kashi; come to me!”
The thought became almost audible as I concentrated on my heart radio. In the characteristic, slightly hoarse whisper of Kashi,2 I heard his summons again and again. I seized the arm of one of my companions, Prokash Das, 3
and smiled at him joyfully.
“It looks as though I have located Kashi!”
I began to turn round and round, to the undisguised amusement of my friends and the passing throng. The electrical impulses tingled through my fingers only when I faced toward a near-by path, aptly named “Serpentine Lane.” The astral currents disappeared when I turned in other directions.
“Ah,” I exclaimed, “Kashi’s soul must be living in the womb of some mother whose home is in this lane.”
My companions and I approached closer to Serpentine Lane; the vibrations in my upraised hands grew stronger, more pronounced. As if by a magnet, I was pulled toward the right side of the road. Reaching the entrance of a certain house, I was astounded to find myself transfixed. I knocked at the door in a state of intense excitement, holding my very breath. I felt that the successful end had come for my long, arduous, and certainly unusual quest!
The door was opened by a servant, who told me her master was at home. He descended the stairway from the second floor and smiled at me inquiringly. I hardly knew how to frame my question, at once pertinent and impertinent.
“Please tell me, sir, if you and your wife have been expecting a child for about six months?”
“Yes, it is so.” Seeing that I was a swami, a renunciate attired in the traditional orange cloth, he added politely, “Pray inform me how you know my affairs.”
When he heard about Kashi and the promise I had given, the astonished man believed my story.
“A male child of fair complexion will be born to you,” I told him. “He will have a broad face, with a cowlick atop his forehead. His disposition will be notably spiritual.” I felt certain that the coming child would bear these resemblances to Kashi.
Later I visited the child, whose parents had given him his old name of Kashi. Even in infancy he was strikingly similar in appearance to my dear Ranchi student. The child showed me an instantaneous affection; the attraction of the past awoke with redoubled intensity.
Years later the teen-age boy wrote me, during my stay in America. He explained his deep longing to follow the path of a renunciate. I directed him to a Himalayan master who, to this day, guides the reborn Kashi.

1 The will, projected from the point between the eyebrows, is known by yogis as the broadcasting apparatus of thought. When the feeling is calmly concentrated on the heart, it acts as a mental radio, and can receive the messages of others from far or near. In telepathy the fine vibrations of thoughts in one person’s mind are transmitted through the subtle vibrations of astral ether and then through the grosser earthly ether, creating electrical waves which, in turn, translate themselves into thought waves in the mind of the other person.

2 Every soul in its pure state is omniscient. Kashi’s soul remembered all the characteristics of Kashi, the boy, and therefore mimicked his hoarse voice in order to stir my recognition.

Last edited: