Ruhi available as free PDF's

Oct 2013
United States
Hi Kam!

I agree, Ruhi does cover and encourage many aspects of community development, which is of course wonderful and meritorious.

It is also true that many of these activities and institutions predated Ruhi by many decades.

Kam

Jun 2015
Perth, Australia
It is also true that many of these activities and institutions predated Ruhi by many decades.
Indeed brother, indeed :)
The Ruhi Institute has simply formalised what is, and what is not, Baha'i community life, and made it accessible to all.

Another aspect of community life which predates Ruhi was the mass exodus of Baha'i declarations seen in many countries in the 70's and 80's with zero consolidation work.

It is the Ruhi Institute which has eradicated such rampant enthusiasm from community life :)

Kam

Aug 2015
Europe
I would take a course if I had the time, and felt that the course would provide a learning opportunity. I would do this regardless of my personal opinion about the teacher, if I felt that the coursework materials and dialogue with other students would be valuable.
We are talking here about God.

Not about crocheting or painting aquarels.

Yes, money. If nothing else, one has to pay for the gas to drive to a meeting.

I have a 3-hour drive to the closest Baha'i meeting. I'm not going to drive that far for mere opinions.

Aug 2015
Europe
Maybe people are only authority figures to people who feel inferior?
We are talking here about God.

Not about crocheting or painting aquarels.

God is not some lovey-dovey nicey-nicey topic for afternoon conversations with tea and cookies.

Aug 2015
Europe
When I joined the Army National Guard back in 1978 and went to Basic Training, I was amazed at how basic the training was.
Key here is that you wanted to join, you saw value in it.

When one really wants to do something, one naturally accepts the requirements, however basic they may be.

Religion is not like that.

In religion, one is told that such and such religion is the right one and the truth, regardless of what one thinks or feels about it, regardless of whether one wants to join it or not. One is expected to join it because it is the right thing to do.

So your comparison with voluntarily joining the Army doesn't apply.

What would be more comparable to religion is military draft, mandatory military service.

Worldwide, humanity is not any higher than somewhere around that level, and the Ruhi 1 Course was created with that in mind, which makes it seem very elementary and redundant for people much above say, a 4th grade reading level. Nevertheless, it serves a fundamental purpose both for instruction and interaction. It works, establishes common understanding, does NOT restrain or inhibit independent thought and personal comprehension. On the contrary, it has the effect of causing people to look at the Writings with their own eyes and express themselves. This is the purpose and goal of the facilitator - to overcome inertia, hand people the tools, and let them build whatever understanding they themselves can do.
Just like drafted soldiers make peace with their unfortunate situation and cooperate, because otherwise, they get shot.

And if anyone wishes to point at the Declaration of Human Rights and the constitutional right to choose one's religion -- then that person should rethink whether they really believe in God, or whether they believe in a hippie concoction.

Last edited:
Oct 2013
United States
Indeed brother, indeed :)
The Ruhi Institute has simply formalised what is, and what is not, Baha'i community life, and made it accessible to all.
Perhaps you can direct me to some more reading that demonstrates that the Ruhi Institute IS the definition of what is and what is not Baha'i community life, so I can deepen my understanding of the directives of the Universal House of Justice.

That would be greatly appreciated.

Another aspect of community life which predates Ruhi was the mass exodus of Baha'i declarations seen in many countries in the 70's and 80's with zero consolidation work.

Certainly Ruhi has provided a valuable framework for deepening and consolidation of new believers and an avenue of service. At the same time, there are some Baha'is who do not care for Ruhi and find that approach to deepening is not their cup of tea.

Oct 2013
United States
I have a 3-hour drive to the closest Baha'i meeting. I'm not going to drive that far for mere opinions.
If you want to know the core of the Baha'i Faith and not just opinions about it, I can recommend starting with a personal reading of the Writings of Baha'u'llah and Abdu'l-Baha.

Baha'i Reference Library

Aug 2015
Europe
If you want to know the core of the Baha'i Faith and not just opinions about it, I can recommend starting with a personal reading of the Writings of Baha'u'llah and Abdu'l-Baha.

Baha'i Reference Library
When I say that I will not satisfy myself with mere opinions I mean that I expect that the people who are making various claims on the topic "God" will actually stand behind them, with their persons.

So that, for example, someone who claims

Let me share with you a historical FACT, not an opinion, but a fact.

This is the way God works whether you like it or not, take it or leave it, there is nothing anyone in this forum can change about this fact.
actually proves herself to be omniscient, because being omniscient is what it takes to know how God works.

So many theists simply get away with claiming all kinds of stuff about God. This is not acceptable.

Kam

Jun 2015
Perth, Australia
Perhaps you can direct me to some more reading that demonstrates that the Ruhi Institute IS the definition of what is and what is not Baha'i community life, so I can deepen my understanding of the directives of the Universal House of Justice.

That would be greatly appreciated.

Certainly Ruhi has provided a valuable framework for deepening and consolidation of new believers and an avenue of service. At the same time, there are some Baha'is who do not care for Ruhi and find that approach to deepening is not their cup of tea.
Hi Matthew,

Sure thing :)

We must appreciate that training institutes in several countries in the 1990s, evolved into the global rollout of the Ruhi Institute. So, in Ridvan 153, the Universal House of Justice wrote:

"What the friends throughout the world are now being asked to do is to commit themselves, their material resources, their abilities and their time to the development of a network of training institutes on a scale never before attempted."

(Ridván 153 message to the Bahá'ís of the World)

The perspective I am offering here is based on the approach that Baha'i community life comes from the application of the fundamental verities of the Faith of Baha'u'llah. The training institutes were created and designed for this very purpose in mind. They were designed to imbue an understanding of what is and what is not a fundamental verity of the Baha'i Revelation, and therefore what is and what is not Baha'i community life.

"The programmes of the institutes must be designed to instil in the participants a good understanding of the fundamental verities of the Faith and to help them acquire skills and abilities that will enable them to serve the Faith effectively."

(Ridván 153 message to the Bahá'ís of Africa)

Over the years, in conjunction with these institutes, and often independent of them, a number of courses...were developed for the purpose of helping the friends gain an understanding of the fundamental verities
of the Faith and arise to serve it. These efforts have contributed significantly to the enriching of the spiritual life of the believers and will undoubtedly continue in the future.

Universal House of Justice Dec 26 1995
If the history of how the training institute is the fundamental institute for moulding Baha'i community life is something you may be interested in I would recommend the book "Turning Point" (by Palabra Publications).

While the course/books being currently offered by the regional training institutes via the Ruhi Institute, is currently in its infancy, we will see as more and more books are released a more complete understanding of how it will become the foundation for Baha'i community life.

Matthew are you aware of any other community-building program ratified by the Universal House of Justice at the moment?

Kam

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Russia
Kam, do you have your own blog or a some kind of publicly accessible webpage? I’d like to read more of you. I’m not on Facebook so it will not help me.