Ruhi book 1 discussion

Aug 2014
England
I'm using ruhi 1 to learn about the faith but I have no group near by and so am doing it alone. However I don't know all the answers and so have some questions. Every time I don't know an answer I'll come back and post it here. If anyone else is doing the same thing as me feel free to post here too!

Section 2
1)What is the effect of bad deeds on the world?
2)What is the effect of bad deeds on those who commit them?

Section 4
1)What do we lose when we lie ?

Thanks for anyone who bothers to answer these

Aug 2010
New Zealand mainly
Section 2
1)What is the effect of bad deeds on the world?
2)What is the effect of bad deeds on those who commit them?

Section 4
1)What do we lose when we lie ?

Section 4 includes the priceless suggestion: "your tutor will be able to help you arrive at the desired conclusion." Which begs the question, desired by whom? And, "are they right?"

It is perhaps best to do these exercises without someone prompting you to a "desired" answer. Nevertheless

If "The betterment of the world can be accomplished through pure and goodly deeds", then what do impure and bad deeds do to the world?

If "“Holy words and pure and goodly deeds ascend unto the heaven of celestial glory" then what do impure and bad deeds do?

Mar 2013
_
Jenna,

I wish you all success. I did not get further than book one in Ruhi, but I do know all the answers to the questions in the books are essentially underline-able in the paragraphs themselves. Whether that continues, I do not know.

Without stopping your Ruhi studies, you can probably learn much more about the faith by actually reading the scriptures of our Faith itself, and through prayer. There is a wealth of such things available as e-books, for instance.

Wish I could be of more help. Mr McGlin knows more on the tip of his fingernail than my entire brain.

Jun 2014
United States
Section 4 includes the priceless suggestion: "your tutor will be able to help you arrive at the desired conclusion." Which begs the question, desired by whom? And, "are they right?"

It is perhaps best to do these exercises without someone prompting you to a "desired" answer. Nevertheless

If "The betterment of the world can be accomplished through pure and goodly deeds", then what do impure and bad deeds do to the world?

If "“Holy words and pure and goodly deeds ascend unto the heaven of celestial glory" then what do impure and bad deeds do?
When I read the Ruhi books, their textbook like writing style and linear presentation of answers was...interesting. But also really dry and not engaging.

May 2013
forest falls california
Designed for classroom setting

When I read the Ruhi books, their textbook like writing style and linear presentation of answers was...interesting. But also really dry and not engaging.

Skeptic,
. I think if one simply reads throught them, there is a dynamic which is missed. What I especially have noticed is that three different people reciting the same verses inflects different tone and I get different meaning, or flavor from each.

. It is like having a melody written on paper. When this is played by a flute, a cello, and a trumpet, very different mood is created. The Ruhi system was designed by educators in a specific way. Book One is pretty elementary, yet there is some deep stuff in it, and a wisdom behind it which is not immediately apparent.

. The later books are more engaging, in my experience, and in a group setting, something is shared by each which no individual could alone produce with their own intellect.

Jun 2014
United States
Skeptic,
. I think if one simply reads throught them, there is a dynamic which is missed. What I especially have noticed is that three different people reciting the same verses inflects different tone and I get different meaning, or flavor from each.

. It is like having a melody written on paper. When this is played by a flute, a cello, and a trumpet, very different mood is created. The Ruhi system was designed by educators in a specific way. Book One is pretty elementary, yet there is some deep stuff in it, and a wisdom behind it which is not immediately apparent.

. The later books are more engaging, in my experience, and in a group setting, something is shared by each which no individual could alone produce with their own intellect.
This was also pointed out to me by my gf, so I understand what you're saying. However, if it were me I would have made it easier for individual reading as well as group reading.

May 2013
forest falls california
purpose

This was also pointed out to me by my gf, so I understand what you're saying. However, if it were me I would have made it easier for individual reading as well as group reading.
I understand what you are saying. I think that the people who put it together did so in a way which was specifically intended for groups. The conductor of the group, as I think you know, is called a collaborator. In the west, this term carries some negative associations from WWII, to which some may raise objections, i.e. "He collaborated with the enemy." Hence, the term collaborator was bastardized.

I tend to highlite the quotes from the Bab, Baha'u'llah, Abdul Baha, etc, as I get the most out of what they say, rather than various commentators' statements, which have more limited value (to me). Still, I get much out of the sharing of others and what they bring to it, providing me with new insights I would never arrive at on my own. So I think that is designed into it.

Nov 2012
Florida
I think that the people who put it together did so in a way which was specifically intended for groups. I get much out of the sharing of others and what they bring to it, providing me with new insights I would never arrive at on my own. So I think that is designed into it.
Dale, I had the same experience as you did with Ruhi, and your reply triggered this passage in my mind:

"O ye friends of God! Today is the day of union and this age is the age of harmony in the world of existence. “Verily, God loveth those who are working in His path in groups, for they are a solid foundation.” Consider ye that he says “in groups,” united and bound together, supporting one another. “To work,” mentioned in this holy verse, does not mean, in this greatest age, to perform it with swords, spears, shafts and arrows, but rather with sincere intentions, good designs, useful advices, divine moralities, beautiful actions, spiritual qualities, educating the public, guiding the souls of mankind, diffusing spiritual fragrances, explaining divine illustrations, showing convincing proofs and doing charitable deeds. When the holy souls, through the angelic power, will arise to
show forth these celestial characteristics, establishing a band of harmony, each of these souls shall be regarded as one thousand persons and the waves of this greatest ocean shall be considered as the army of the hosts of the Supreme Concourse." --Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith, p 401

Jun 2014
United States
The stuff that most concerns me is in Ruhi Book 3, the curriculum for children's classes. My gf assured me every class is different but as I've said I have reservations.

May 2013
forest falls california
Reservations

The stuff that most concerns me is in Ruhi Book 3, the curriculum for children's classes. My gf assured me every class is different but as I've said I have reservations.
. I think it is good that you have "reservations". That shows responsibility and concern. The way to overcome these reservations is to participate in the classes to confirm one way or the other any suspicions one might have.

. Differences may in fact be governed by "personalities" and their strengths and weaknesses. There may also be limitations from cultural perspectives and experience which would be overcome by more participation and a more "hands on" approach by parents. For sure!!