Sanatana Dharma

Sep 2010
Normanton Far North Queensland
What I have found is that question is very diverse within Hinduisim itself.

I find the better Question now is what is Hinduisim? It has been divided into unlimited sects of thoughts and many do not include God.

Regards Tony

Feb 2019
Chicago
What is Sanatana Dharma in Hinduism?:)
Hinduism is the English name for Sanatana Dharma just as Mohammedanism is for Islam and Buddhism is for Dhamma (Pali for Dharma).

Sanatana means Eternal or timeless
Dharma refers those divine principles of righteousness and order that uphold the Universe and are also meant to guide human life.

So Sanatana Dharma refers to an Eternal way of life based on divine principles of righteousness. Sanatana Dharma is not a religion like it is normally understood. It has no founder and is not based on a single scripture.

Feb 2019
Chicago
What I have found is that question is very diverse within Hinduisim itself.

I find the better Question now is what is Hinduisim? It has been divided into unlimited sects of thoughts and many do not include God.

Regards Tony
I think I answered your question on Hinduism in my previous post. Yes, Hinduism is as diverse as the number of people on this planet and it is so embracing that it can include atheists as well. God is an abstract concept and you hardly find anyone who knows God through personal experience. It is not easy to prove the existence of God. However, I do not need proof that I exist and if I use that as my starting point, I can begin the process of self-discovery that can lead to self-realization. Without bringing God in to my thought process, I can ask questions like Who am I, Where did I come from, Why was I born, Where do I go after death, What am I supposed to do on this planet, Who is observing the dream and recording it when I dreaming in sleep, Can that observer get out of the human body at will and if so how?

Bahaullah says in the short Bahai obligatory prayer that God has created human beings so that they can know Him and worship Him. Can you please let me know the Bahai approach to knowing God. How does one get to know an entity like God that cannot be perceived by the senses given that all our knowing comes from the senses. Thank you.

Jul 2017
Kettering, Ohio USA
We can't know God's essence , but we can know HIs attributes, like the just one, the merciful one, the loving one and others. This is best known through the Manifestation of God, which our word for Prophet or Messenger.

Feb 2019
Chicago
We can't know God's essence , but we can know HIs attributes, like the just one, the merciful one, the loving one and others. This is best known through the Manifestation of God, which our word for Prophet or Messenger.
The purpose of God in creating man hath been and will ever be, to enable him to know his Creator and to attain His presence - Bahaullah

I bear witness, O my God, that Thou hast created me to know Thee and to worship Thee. - Bahai Short Obligatory Prayer.

Sep 2010
Normanton Far North Queensland
Bahaullah says in the short Bahai obligatory prayer that God has created human beings so that they can know Him and worship Him. Can you please let me know the Bahai approach to knowing God. How does one get to know an entity like God that cannot be perceived by the senses given that all our knowing comes from the senses. Thank you.
The purpose of God in creating man hath been and will ever be, to enable him to know his Creator and to attain His presence - Bahaullah
I bear witness, O my God, that Thou hast created me to know Thee and to worship Thee. - Bahai Short Obligatory Prayer.
The only path we have to our creator is thorough His Manifestation. To know and Love God we must come to know the Manifestations, which as Duane said above are the giver of all attributes. We have no direct access to God.

Baha'u'llah has said "He hath known God who hath known himself." (Bahá’u’lláh, Gleanings from the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 178)

Thus I see this life is a journey in understanding our own self. This is a big subject with many other thoughts to consider.

Regards Tony

Feb 2019
Chicago
The only path we have to our creator is thorough His Manifestation. To know and Love God we must come to know the Manifestations, which as Duane said above are the giver of all attributes. We have no direct access to God.

Baha'u'llah has said "He hath known God who hath known himself." (Bahá’u’lláh, Gleanings from the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 178)

Thus I see this life is a journey in understanding our own self. This is a big subject with many other thoughts to consider.

Regards Tony
Bahaullah's teaching that we have to know ourself is at the heart of all the 6 Hindu philosophies. Both the Bible and Bhagavad Gita say that God dwells in us. But apparently we do not realize it and to realize that truth (not merely knowing or believing) is the goal of human life as Bahaullah so clearly states.

Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? - Corinthians 3:16

The Blessed Lord said: Yes, I will tell you of My splendorous manifestations, but only of those which are prominent, O Arjuna, for My opulence is limitless. I am the Self, O Gudakesa, seated in the hearts of all creatures. I am the beginning, the middle and the end of all beings. - Bhagavad Gita 10:19-20