service through art?

Sep 2014
Sweden
Hello!
Im new to this website, so sorry if I posted in wrong forum.
But I have a question about serving and proffesion. What is your opinion, is it possible to serve through art? It is AS powerful? Is it worth doing? I paint, and I've read some writings that say that making art is the same as praying. But should one really go for that as a proffesion? I want to serve with everything I do, and want to make good choice for it.

Any thoughts? Any writings on this?
Thank you!!

Jul 2014
colorado/summer-Oklahoma/winter
The writings say to be the best at what you do...if that is art, do your best! There are many ways of serving God, and creating beauty would be one path.....just my way of thinking![/QUOTE]

Aug 2014
Blue Planet
why not? :)
the best beneficial profession for each person is that profession through which the person can help humanity and love one step forward. when I look at the paintings of a person like say Gustav Dore I feel good; when I look at some paintings of colorful nature it reminds me of the love of God. furthermore, we can help through painting by for example selling the paintings and then giving a share of it to promote some good in world. all arts can be the source of love and Godly happiness. I have seen many literary writings which light the way of God. again; why not? :)

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
Hello!
Im new to this website, so sorry if I posted in wrong forum.
But I have a question about serving and proffesion. What is your opinion, is it possible to serve through art? It is AS powerful? Is it worth doing? I paint, and I've read some writings that say that making art is the same as praying. But should one really go for that as a proffesion? I want to serve with everything I do, and want to make good choice for it.

Any thoughts? Any writings on this?
Thank you!!
Dear friend I love to draw (pencil & pen) I also enjoy oil painting, but I could never make a living at it, or so I feel.

But you ask for quotes.........

Arts, crafts and sciences uplift the world of being, and are conducive to its exaltation. Knowledge is as wings to man's life, and a ladder for his ascent. Its acquisition is incumbent upon everyone. The knowledge of such sciences, however, should be acquired as can profit the peoples of the earth, and not those which begin with words and end with words...
In truth, knowledge is a veritable treasure for man, and a source of glory, of bounty, of joy, of exaltation, of cheer and gladness unto him. Happy the man that cleaveth unto it, and woe betide the heedless.
Epistle to the Son of the Wolf, (Wilmette: Bahá'í Publishing Trust, 1988), pp.

Compilations : Compilation on the Arts
The purpose of learning should be the promotion of the welfare of the people, and this can be achieved through crafts. It hath been revealed and is now repeated that the true worth of artists and craftsmen should be appreciated, for they advance the affairs of mankind. Just as the foundations of religion are made firm through the Law of God, the means of livelihood depend upon those who are engaged in arts and crafts. True learning is that which is conducive to the well-being of the world, not to pride and self-conceit, or to tyranny, violence and pillage.
From a Tablet - translated from the Persian

The one true God, exalted be He, loveth to witness handiworks of high craftsmanship produced by His loved ones. Blessed art thou, for what thy skill hath produced hath reached the presence of thy Lord, the Exiled, the Wronged. Please God every one of His friends may be enabled to acquire one of the crafts, and be confirmed in adhering to what hath been ordained in the Book of God, the All-Glorious, the All-Wise.
From a Tablet - translated from the Persian and Arabic [9]
As for what the Supreme Pen hath previously set down, the reason is that in every art and skill, God loveth the highest perfection.
From a Tablet - translated from the Persian [10]
The Source of Art

Apr 2014
Rome
Art has a lot to do with service. In ancient Greek philosophy the connection between the Good, the True and the Beautiful was already noted. By creating beautiful art you also communicate that which is Good and that which is True; which in the end reflects back on the Creator.

One title of Baha'u'llah I like very much is Blessed Beauty; because Beauty has everything to do with discovering the Divine Reality.

So yes; I very much believe that art can be a great service to the advancement of humankind.