Service?

Jul 2011
n ireland
I know its written that if you fold a piece of paper at the best of your abilty,you are performing a service for God and man.Is thiis practical today? Are prfessions of more value than invisible menial work?

Jun 2006
California
I know its written that if you fold a piece of paper at the best of your abilty,you are performing a service for God and man.Is thiis practical today? Are prfessions of more value than invisible menial work?
Well if we perform any work with an attitude of service it can be as worshiping God... so that's any work if your folding paper oragami or serving tea or something really menial.

This is highly suitable. Strive as much as possible to become proficient in the science of agriculture for in accordance with the Divine Teachings, the acquisition of sciences and the perfection of arts is considered as acts of worship. If a man engages with all his power in the acquisition of a science or in the perfection of an art, it is as if he has been worshipping God in the churches and temples.

Thus as thou enterest a school of agriculture and strivest in the acquisition of that science thou art day and night engaged in acts of worship -- acts that are accepted at the threshold of the Almighty. What bounty greater than this that science should be considered as an act of worship and art as service to the Kingdom of God.

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith - Abdu'l-Baha Section, p. 376

Sep 2010
United Kingdom
"...God is more pleased by one work, however small, done secretly, without desire that it be known, than a thousand done with the desire that people know of them. Those who work for God with purest love not only care nothing about whether others see their works, but do not even seek that God himself know of them. Such persons would not cease to render God the same services, with the same joy and purity of love, even if God were never to know of these...Think not that pleasing God lies so much in doing a great deal as in doing it with good will, without possessiveness and human respect...Although you perform many works, if you do not deny your will and submit yourself, losing all solicitude about yourself and your affairs, you will not make progress...The pure and whole work done for God in a pure heart merits a whole kingdom for its owner..."

- St John of the Cross: Sayings of Light and Love

Last edited:
Jun 2006
California
Every individual, no matter how handicapped and limited he may be, is under the obligation of engaging in some work or profession, for work, especially when performed in the spirit of service, is according to Bahá'u'lláh, a form of worship.

It has not only a utilitarian purpose, but has a value in itself, because it draws us nearer to God, and enables to better grasp His purpose for us in this world.

It is obvious, therefore, that the inheritance of wealth cannot make anyone immune from daily work. As to the question of retirement from work for individuals who have reached a certain age, this is a matter on which the International House of Justice will have to legislate as there are no provisions in the Aqdas concerning it."

~ Shoghi Effendi, Directives from the Guardian, p. 82

I'd just like to say that being retired myself for some time now doesn't mean I cannot serve in some capacity..actually it allows me to be of greater service in some respects than when I worked. I have more time for some things.

I went through a stage where I was a volunteer at a local hospital visiting patients...Later I served on the City Human Relations Commission and the Interfaith Council.. Lately I've been more focused on trying to help my adult children..and there's always gardening.. the oldest profession, if we accept that Adam was indeed a Gardener.:cool:

Dec 2010
Australia
What if we want to retire early and do some private work like religious study. Things which actually make a difference rather than just doing what everyone else does. Would that be frowned upon I wonder.

Jun 2006
California
What if we want to retire early and do some private work like religious study. Things which actually make a difference rather than just doing what everyone else does. Would that be frowned upon I wonder.

I don't thinking anyone would frown..What some call "work" is play for others I suppose but it needs to be done in service... What does every one else do? I'm unsure..I'm just living from day to day and don't worry about it!

May 2011
Australia
Dear Aidan,

The quote says, if he 'makes' a piece of paper.. I think there is a difference there.
(Would like to write more, but gotta get goin'.)

'Abdu'l-Bahá says: --
In the Bahá'í Cause arts, sciences and all crafts are
counted as worship. The man who makes a piece of note-
paper to the best of his ability, conscientiously, concentrating
all his forces on perfecting it, is giving praise to
God.
(Dr. J.E. Esslemont, Baha'u'llah and the New Era, p. 79)

So, when did mass production of paper begin? Before the time in which it was more easily produced it would have taken much care, effort and concentration, and I don't think it would have been menial work.
The point of the quote is that all of these jobs and endeavours provide a service to humanity and is one way in which we contribute -and even worship God, in doing so!

Last edited:
Dec 2010
Australia
I don't thinking anyone would frown..What some call "work" is play for others I suppose but it needs to be done in service... What does every one else do? I'm unsure..I'm just living from day to day and don't worry about it!
everyone else meaning the 9-5 lawyers and accountants working to make their fortune and buy up houses before they retire... Or else the garbologists who are working their butt off to make ends meat and provide for their family. Either way it is a life of work where your mind is not spend thinking or serving of the divine, but rather how best to perform your work.
I am sortof starting to see Baha'u'llahs "work as worship" command as a way to make people feel better that their lives are not spent totally wasted. Sorry for my cynical negativity. This is not my strong area.

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
I think it is how it is performed and not what is performed.

Every job undertaken needs a worker, not all can be top level jobs, there would be no one to do those smaller tasks.

A person undertaking the less recognized profession in the spirit of service to the Blessed Beauty & humanity is to me far above a rocket scientist who is not working to the same ethics.

A good gauge were the disciples of Christ. A fisherman came one of the greatest of all men! :yes:

Regards Tony

Jun 2006
California
Lord of the Goblins wrote:

'...make ends meat...'

Is that for a special down under barbie?:cool: