Service

Nov 2011
Dallas
What does service mean to you? To me it means volunteering our time in some capacity but I struggle with finding a way to do that. Does Baha'u'llah suggest we should all quit our jobs and volunteer full time? I think that's probably a bad idea for many reasons. Commerce, economies, invention these things are essential for society. In order for this to happen people must surly have jobs. Further, not all of us are suited for all types of work. Some might be illiterate and thus would serve as poor teachers, some might be great painters and thus not make for good lawn mowers,, there are weak muscled types likely not capable of painting houses for free. So how does one serve the faith in a manner that suits their skill set? Should we attempt to do that or should we just surrender our body and time to local LSAs and do however poorly we can what they ask of us?

I keep hearing fro many sources that I need to serve more but I can think of no possibilities that fit my skill set. In an effort to deemphasize Christmas Christmas I'd like to do some volunteer work/service on Christmas day and eve but I'm finding this to be easier said then done. So how does one go about serving society in a manner that speaks to them and is full filling?

Dec 2010
Australia
To me service means just doing activities that a positive and build community or spread the message of God amongst people and just doing your best to help others in your capacity.
You want examples of service? They are not hard to find.
firstly there is the core activities.
then other things like activities inside those or complimenting them. Home visits, as practical outcome of ruhi, picking up rubish as practical outcome of JY (juniour youth).
For example although I am not as active as I want to, one of the Bahais in our community has a soccer game where he invites people in his neibourhood and trying to get to know the people and build community eventually maybe leading to Ruhi or JY groups for those people and just being friendly.
So for me I go along and participate and it is fun to but to bolster the numbers mainly. I also do a book 4 even though I dont really need to that much because I was supporting the numbers needed in the group to make it a proper study circle.
Ok I am not the best person to ask cos I havnt done a lot of service but there you go, service can be anything.
Like this guy who started a Bahai blog in Australia. That is a service..
Just remember in this life. THe more people put energy in to it the more they will get results..
I am sure you have talents and even if you dont have highly skilled talents you can do low skill things like the soccer game too..

Last edited:
Jun 2006
California
Proday wrote:

I keep hearing fro many sources that I need to serve more but I can think of no possibilities that fit my skill set. In an effort to deemphasize Christmas Christmas I'd like to do some volunteer work/service on Christmas day and eve but I'm finding this to be easier said then done. So how does one go about serving society in a manner that speaks to them and is full filling?

I don't know what your skills are or what kinds of opportunities you have...?

But you are the one who best knows in your own sphere what you can do...

Opening a door for someone or serving them tea can be an act of service..shoveling snow from walkways or driveways could be a service to someone. After wind storm you might help clear some brush or fallen limbs from a street..

Offering to serve people on "Christmas day and eve" is commendable but consider that's just one day.. and people who celebrate Christmas are probably already caught up in their plans with their families and friends..

I would consider maybe doing something over say a longer period. Can you volunteer somewhere? Volunteers are sought nowadays by many institutions that serve people...such as hospitals, daycare facilities, etc. :)

Jun 2009
earth
Service is hard to define. I think there is a lot more to it than the obvious volunteering for something obvious.

In your paid job you can also be of service to your co-workers and clients/customers in many ways. Sometimes it can be going that extra mile for someone that isn't really in the job description but is a good thing to do.

As mentioned above there are service opportunities within the Faith which may differ depending on the size of your community.

You can be of service to your local community. It may be that you can help an elderly neighbour with their shopping, help young parents with babysitting, cut the grass for a sick friend or maybe something big like organising a whole community initiative.

Abdul-Bahá was a great example to us and a great servant to others. When you read about why he was knighted it is just amazing.