Several prayers questions

Aug 2013
usa
Hello,

I had several questions regarding prayers, and was hoping someone could help me with.

While I try my best to say allah u abha 95 times I know that I probably say it few more or less than 95 times, how do you guys keep track ? I have mild adhd which doesn't help.

Also regarding the short obligatory prayer, I notice in the book that I use it doesn't have instructions to wash your hands and face, or anything to go with it.

And my last question is, is it ok to switch between obligatory prayers ? sometimes I have time to say the long obligatory prayer other times I don't so I say the shorter one is that also okay ?

Thanks

Aug 2010
New Zealand mainly
You can decide each day which prayer to say, as the obligation is only to say one or other each day.

Older prayer books will not show the verse for ablutions, as this was only introduced for western Bahais in 1982.

For the 95 recitations, you can
a) add a few more, it won't hurt
b) use a rosary, or
c) count to 19, counting the tips, joints and base of each finger on one hand (4 for each finger, 3 for the thumb), and do this five times - counting with the fingers of the other hand
d) use a recitation pattern that involves 5 repetitions, and count 19 cycles using the tips and joints of one hand as an abacus. One such pattern, which I call the energizing pattern, goes

Allah'u'abha hey hey Allah'u'abha hey hey Allah'u'abha (breath)
Allah'u'abha hey hey Allah'u'abha

It's inspired by first nation chanting, with a smidgen of overtone singing.

Aug 2013
usa
The book has instructions for ablution for the medium obligatory prayer, but not for the short and the long one.

Thanks for the help :)

Jun 2006
California
Hello someonerandom!

Here are your questions followed by my comments:

(1) While I try my best to say allah u abha 95 times I know that I probably say it few more or less than 95 times, how do you guys keep track ? I have mild adhd which doesn't help.

My comment:

"Free prayer beads".. You already have prayer counters on your hands and they're free!

Notice that the joints and bases of your digits as well as the tips of your thumb and fingers on one hand add up to nineteen! Using your other hand you can count five times and whollah! You have ninety five!

Some people use prayer beads to help them.. thus you recite one Allah'u'Abha a bead as you move from bead to bead.. The price of prayer beads can vary...

There's also an APP for counting ninety five Allah'u'Abhas for your Iphone! It costs ninety nine cents!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/95-taps/id353405912?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

(2) Also regarding the short obligatory prayer, I notice in the book that I use it doesn't have instructions to wash your hands and face, or anything to go with it.

My comment:

There may be no instructions in the Prayer Book.. but in the Kitab-i-Aqdas it says ablutions are necessary for each obligatory prayer:

Ablutions are specifically associated with certain prayers.
They must precede the offering of the three Obligatory
Prayers, the daily recitation of "Allah-u-Abha" ninety-five
times, and the recital of the verse prescribed as an
alternative to obligatory prayer and fasting for women in
their courses (see note 20).
The prescribed ablutions consist of washing the hands
and the face in preparation for prayer

~ Baha'u'llah, The Kitab-i-Aqdas, p. 180

We must also face the direction of Bahji while reciting the prayer...and while standing.

1780. He would advise you to only use the short midday Obligatory Prayer. This has no genuflections and only requires that when saying it the believer turn his face towards 'Akká where Bahá'u'lláh is buried. This is a physical symbol of an inner reality, just as the plant stretches out to the sunlight -- from which it receives life and growth -- so we turn our hearts to the Manifestation of God, Bahá'u'lláh, when we pray; and we turn our faces, during this short prayer, to where His dust lies on this earth as a symbol of the inner act.

(Compilations, The Compilation of Compilations vol II, p. 242)

It is preferable to offer the third (short) Obligatory
Prayer while standing.

(Baha'u'llah, Synopsis and Codification of the Kitab-i-Aqdas, p. 36)

(3) And my last question is, is it ok to switch between obligatory prayers ? sometimes I have time to say the long obligatory prayer other times I don't so I say the shorter one is that also okay ?

My comment:

Yes indeed!

"The daily obligatory prayers are three in number. ... The believer is entirely free to choose any one of these three prayers, but is under the obligation of reciting either one of them, and in accordance with any specific directions with which they may be accompanied." - from a letter written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi

(Compilations, Baha'i Prayers, p. v)

So one day you could recite the short prayer and the next day you could recite the long prayer.

Last edited:
Aug 2013
usa
Are there any specific instructions on ablutions, I know I must wash my face and hands , but I know for the medium obligatory prayer there are prayers that go with the ablution, are there any such for the short one ?

Thanks again

Oct 2013
Glenwood, Queensland, Australia
Are there any specific instructions on ablutions, I know I must wash my face and hands , but I know for the medium obligatory prayer there are prayers that go with the ablution, are there any such for the short one ?

Thanks again
Good morning close friend

Again, the Kitab-i-Aqdas, paragraph 18 carries as much of the answer as we yet know. It says:

having washed his hands and then his face,
This same paragraph also states:

Perform ye, likewise, ablutions for the Obligatory Prayer;
so makes no difference - long, medium, short, as well as the 95 Allah'u'Abha's, all require ablutions before saying. Note 34 in the Kitab-i-Aqdas has more information.

Also note the content of the Kitab-i-Aqdas, Paragraph 10, and Note 16.

The A-Z of the Kitab-i-Aqdas has this on Ablutions.

Whether you use soap and water, or just water, is not specified - the choice is yours according to what your heart feels right.

As regards counting, there is one other means not yet mentioned above. If you have a phone with either Android a iPhone, there are applications that can be installed which allow one to count to 95 by tapping the sceen.

With my warm greetings

Romane

Last edited:
Jun 2011
Somewhere "in this immensity"
Good morning close friend

Again, the Kitab-i-Aqdas, paragraph 18 carries as much of the answer as we yet know. It says:

This same paragraph also states:

so makes no difference - long, medium, short, as well as the 95 Allah'u'Abha's, all require ablutions before saying. Note 34 in the Kitab-i-Aqdas has more information.

Also note the content of the Kitab-i-Aqdas, Paragraph 10, and Note 16.

The A-Z of the Kitab-i-Aqdas has this on Ablutions.

Whether you use soap and water, or just water, is not specified - the choice is yours according to what your heart feels right.

As regards counting, there is one other means not yet mentioned above. If you have a phone with either Android a iPhone, there are applications that can be installed which allow one to count to 95 by tapping the sceen.

With my warm greetings

Romane
Great comments, Romane.

I would also suggest that ablutions are different than washing, in the sense that even if you had previously washed your hands and face, and they are not dirty, you would still perform ablutions in preparation for prayer. Also, in addition to performing ablutions before prayer, it is necessary that our bodies and clothes be sufficiently clean, therefore, the use of soap could be important, depending on the state of cleanliness or dirtiness we are in.

The final point I would add is that although all three prayers require ablutions, only the medium prayer has verses to be said during the washing of hands and face. One would not say these verses during ablutions for the other prayers, although I suppose one may if they wanted, doing so would not be following the instructions to the letter.

Hope this helps!

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
Hey Fadl... Is repetition of posts three times required?:p
Dear Arthra the same thing often happens when I post also, so I understand what has happened.
But knowing, I now watch and often have to delete a post or two. sigh

I find I have to be careful when my computer appears to be working slowly not to double click my mouse, this causes the problem for me.