Signs of the Second Coming

Aug 2014
Blue Planet
As I was studying now a Baha'i website in Persian language, i found something interesting which made me want to ask a question now.
there it was written that when Jesus Christ came as the prophet to guide human beings, many Jews failed to realize His holiness and His great mission. why? because in Jew's holy book there are mentioned some signs which should be used to realize the coming of the promised one. among those signs are such things as:

-the world will be full of peace. at that time there would be peace even among animals so that lion, tiger, goats, sheep, hen and eagle will live together in peace.
-if a child puts his hands in an snake's mouth, this won't harm him.
-there will flow rivers of milk and honey from Jerusalem.
-the Promised one must be one of the children of David.
-He will continue spreading the laws of Torah without any change
-He should build the third temple
* at that time "Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall man learn war anymore."
-Spread universal knowledge of the God of Israel, which will unite humanity as one. As it says: "God will be King over all the world—on that day, God will be One and His Name will be One".

these are only some few signs. yet there are many more signs and all of them are VERY similar to those signs promised in Bible and also In Quran.

now the question is IF Christians have not took the signs in Torah symbolically and if they have not simply followed the will of their ancestors then how is it that some Jews were successful in recognizing the truthfulness of the message of Jesus Christ and yet they cannot recognize exactly, exactly, exactly the same matter in Islam and then in Baha'i faith?how is it that Christians nowadays reject Islam and Baha'i for the sake of exactly the same signs which they have rejected/found the truth of in Torah?

my question can be applied to the same extent to Muslims as well. those who for the sake of unfulfilled signs reject Baha'i.
I would be glad if any Muslim or Christians here can help me know the truth :)

Last edited:
Nov 2012
Florida
Kenneth Bowers, a current member of the National Spiritual Assembly of Baha'is of the United States, wrote the following article on the subject:

When a new prophet appears, Baha’u’llah writes in The Book of Certitude, the established clergy always oppose and persecute Him.

Historically, Baha’u’llah singles out religious leaders for special blame. Theirs is the great responsibility of leading the faithful, yet they have always been in the vanguard of the enemies of every prophet:

"Leaders of religion, in every age, have hindered their people from attaining the shores of eternal salvation, inasmuch as they held the reins of authority in their mighty grasp. Some for the lust of leadership, others through want of knowledge and understanding, have been the cause of the deprivation of the people. By their sanction and authority, every Prophet of God hath drunk from the chalice of sacrifice, and winged His flight unto the heights of glory. What unspeakable cruelties they that have occupied the seats of authority and learning have inflicted upon the true Monarchs of the world, those Gems of divine virtue! Content with a transitory dominion, they have deprived themselves of an everlasting sovereignty. Thus, their eyes beheld not the light of the countenance of the Well-Beloved, nor did their ears hearken unto the sweet melodies of the Bird of Desire. For this reason, in all sacred books mention hath been made of the divines of every age." — The Book of Certitude, p 15

The people assume their share of fault, too, because they do not think for themselves. Instead, they act based on the expectations set by their leaders:

"Unto every discerning observer it is evident and manifest that had these people in the days of each of the Manifestations of the Sun of Truth sanctified their eyes, their ears, and their hearts from whatever they had seen, heard, and felt, they surely would not have been deprived of beholding the beauty of God, nor strayed far from the habitations of glory. But having weighed the testimony of God by the standard of their own knowledge, gleaned from the teachings of the leaders of their faith, and found it at variance with their limited understanding, they arose to perpetrate such unseemly acts." — The Book of Certitude, p 15

Baha’u’llah explains that God tests humanity by revealing His Word in terms that are not always literal. He offers abundant examples of this, citing passage after passage of the Bible and the Quran and demonstrating their true meaning. For example, he refers to a passage from the New Testament wherein Jesus Christ tells the signs of his second coming:

"Immediately after the oppression of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the earth shall be shaken: and then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet." —Mathew 24:29–31

Baha’u’llah explains that the terms “sun” and “moon,” when mentioned in the writings of the prophets of God, do not refer solely to the sun and moon of the visible universe. These terms symbolize manifold spiritual truths.

In one particular case, the word “sun” stands for the divines, the leaders of religion:

"That the term “sun” hath been applied to the leaders of religion is due to their lofty position, their fame, and renown. Such are the universally recognized divines of every age, who speak with authority, and whose fame is securely established." — The Book of Certitude, p 37

Yet once the true sun is revealed in the form of a new prophet, these suns go dark in the relative brightness of the new light from God. The same is true for the “moon” and “stars.”

Baha’u’llah also interpreted these terms as symbols of the laws and teachings of God. When God sends a new messenger, the “sun,” “moon,” and “stars” of the past are replaced with new teachings.

Similarly, Baha’u’llah states that the term “return” does not signify the literal return of an individual messenger to earth, but the return of the same divine qualities, the same manifestation of the Holy Spirit. In that sense each new messenger is the “return” of those who preceded Him. When the scriptures speak of the end of the world, of the descent of Christ from heaven in the last days, of the Day of Judgment, and of the resurrection of the dead, these are also symbolic terms. The physical world will not really be destroyed, nor will the physical moon and sun go dark. The return of Christ descending from heaven is not a literal event—it means the reappearance in the world of the Christ Spirit, which comes from heaven. The Resurrection will not entail bodies of the dead coming back to life; it signifies the spiritual reawakening of those who believe and follow God’s messenger.

But why does God speak in such symbolic terms and not plainly? Profound spiritual truth cannot be stated in literal terms, superficially. Baha’u’llah explains that this is done to test humanity so that the sincere souls can be distinguished from those who cling blindly to tradition.

An examination of religious history validates Baha’u’llah’s assertions. For example, the main reason the Jews persecuted Christ was that he did not appear to have fulfilled the ancient prophecies concerning the Messiah. They expected a personage who would occupy the throne of David and thus rid them of their Gentile overlords, the Romans. Yet Christ’s sovereignty was not of that kind. His was a heavenly dominion, and the Kingdom of God of which He spoke was a spiritual reality.

Aug 2014
Blue Planet
very beautiful article. thank you Josh :) I too know that some people fail to grasp the truth and beauty of the prophet which comes after the prophet they had used to follow. when i talk to Muslims (some of them to whom i have told about my religion) I hear exactly the same things as Jews say about Christianity and Christians about Islam. yet it is VERY interesting to me to hear "their very personal reasons" why they have accepted Christianity and not Islam or Islam and not Baha'i :)

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
Dear Maryamr - The building of the 3rd Temple is Baha'u'llah.

The Summons to the Lord of Hosts contains the Sura of the Temple (Suriy-Haykal)

If you have not yet read this book, then you will find this powerful.and compelling reading.

God bless and regards Tony

Aug 2014
Blue Planet
interesting point Tony :) thank you
it is interesting to know how Christians have accepted Christianity without then accepting Baha'i faith. because as you say some signs mentioned in Torah are fulfilled in our dispensation and without believing in Baha'u'llah how could anyone be a Christian?!

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
interesting point Tony :) thank you
it is interesting to know how Christians have accepted Christianity without then accepting Baha'i faith. because as you say some signs mentioned in Torah are fulfilled in our dispensation and without believing in Baha'u'llah how could anyone be a Christian?!
Maryamr - An answer to this will be, I hope, in the Future common knowledge. :cool:

It is written that in rejecting the Manifestation, that you are of those who have indeed rejected God for all time! This in itself you would think make someone searching for God to at least take another look!

But there is a Mystery in the rejection as all are under Gods Will. I am beginning to think that each and all are like a Magnet. With this you have the positive and negative force. Put them one way they repel, put them another way and they attract? Could it be there is a balance of Magnets on this earth and the ultimate may be to bring unity to the repelling forces and turn us both to attract each other?

Just an early random thought of this wayward Soul :eek: :confused:

May 2013
forest falls california
The Third Temple

Dear Maryamr - The building of the 3rd Temple is Baha'u'llah.

The Summons to the Lord of Hosts contains the Sura of the Temple (Suriy-Haykal)

If you have not yet read this book, then you will find this powerful.and compelling reading.

Some Christians with whom I have spoken state that the "Third Temple" must be built "before" Christ Returns, and say that because the Dome of the Rock sits upon the Temple Mount, it must first be destroyed that the Third Temple can be built, after which, the Lord may come.

. Well, the Dome of the Rock "IS" the third "physical" temple, which they are waiting for. However, because they don't recognize Muhammad as the Apostle of God, they reject the Great Mosque which is the fulfillment of the rebuilding of the Third Temple.

See this Wikipedia article for the varying views of Jewish, Christian, and Muslim, etc..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Temple

. "Thus have We built the Temple with the hands of power and might, could ye but know it. This is the Temple promised unto you in the Book. Draw ye nigh unto it. This is that which profiteth you, could ye but comprehend it. Be fair, O peoples of the earth! Which is preferable, this, or a temple which is built of clay? Set your faces towards it. Thus have ye been commanded by God, the Help in Peril, the Self-Subsisting." Baha'u'llah

. And Jesus said: "Destroy this Temple and I will rebuild it on the third day."

. and we have the Day of Muhammad, the Day of the Bab, and on the third day, Baha'u'llah
. which is parallel to the Three Woes: "And the third Woe cometh quickly."
. which Abdul Baha explains as Muhammad being the First Woe, the Bab being the Second Woe, followed quickly by the Third Woe: Baha'u'llah, immediately after the Bab.

Last edited:
Aug 2014
Blue Planet
Some Christians with whom I have spoken state that the "Third Temple" must be built "before" Christ Returns, and say that because the Dome of the Rock sits upon the Temple Mount, it must first be destroyed that the Third Temple can be built, after which, the Lord may come.

. Well, the Dome of the Rock "IS" the third "physical" temple, which they are waiting for. However, because they don't recognize Muhammad as the Apostle of God, they reject the Great Mosque which is the fulfillment of the rebuilding of the Third Temple.

See this Wikipedia article for the varying views of Jewish, Christian, and Muslim, etc..

Third Temple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

. "Thus have We built the Temple with the hands of power and might, could ye but know it. This is the Temple promised unto you in the Book. Draw ye nigh unto it. This is that which profiteth you, could ye but comprehend it. Be fair, O peoples of the earth! Which is preferable, this, or a temple which is built of clay? Set your faces towards it. Thus have ye been commanded by God, the Help in Peril, the Self-Subsisting." Baha'u'llah

. And Jesus said: "Destroy this Temple and I will rebuild it on the third day."

. and we have the Day of Muhammad, the Day of the Bab, and on the third day, Baha'u'llah
. which is parallel to the Three Woes: "And the third Woe cometh quickly."
. which Abdul Baha explains as Muhammad being the First Woe, the Bab being the Second Woe, followed quickly by the Third Woe: Baha'u'llah, immediately after the Bab.
oh! I thought the third temple should be built (or is promised so) in Jerusalem!
you said something interesting Dale and that is:

Well, the Dome of the Rock "IS" the third "physical" temple, which they are waiting for. However, because they don't recognize Muhammad as the Apostle of God, they reject the Great Mosque which is the fulfillment of the rebuilding of the Third Temple.

now as far as I know (correct me if i am wrong), building of the third temple is something promised in Torah as a sign of coming of Massiah. now you say even Christians believe that the third temple is not built yet. if it is so, how have they become Christians? mmm... in other words, Jews believe that only the prophet in whose time the third temple is made should be considered as the true prophet from God and as long as he has not manifested, everybody should follow only the prophet of Torah. then how Christians have become Christians if that promise is not fulfilled by Jesus? have they ignored some signs and took some others at their own will???

May 2013
forest falls california
70 weeks prophecy

oh! I thought the third temple should be built (or is promised so) in Jerusalem!
you said something interesting Dale and that is:

Well, the Dome of the Rock "IS" the third "physical" temple, which they are waiting for. However, because they don't recognize Muhammad as the Apostle of God, they reject the Great Mosque which is the fulfillment of the rebuilding of the Third Temple.

now as far as I know (correct me if i am wrong), building of the third temple is something promised in Torah as a sign of coming of Massiah. now you say even Christians believe that the third temple is not built yet. if it is so, how have they become Christians? mmm... in other words, Jews believe that only the prophet in whose time the third temple is made should be considered as the true prophet from God and as long as he has not manifested, everybody should follow only the prophet of Torah. then how Christians have become Christians if that promise is not fulfilled by Jesus? have they ignored some signs and took some others at their own will???

. Maryamr,
. I'm no expert on this stuff, but here is roughly the dates on
. Temples 1, 2, 3

1 957 BC SOLOMON The First Temple was totally destroyed by the Babylonians in 586 BCE when they sacked the city.[4]

2 457 BC Decree of Artaxerxes The Second Temple was completed in 349 BCE. Under the leadership of Ezra and Nehemiah. It was destroyed by the Romans in 70 CE during the Siege of Jerusalem.

3 691 CE the Dome of the Rock, on the site of the Temple. The shrine has stood on the mount since 691 CE; the al-Aqsa Mosque, from roughly the same period, also stands in the Temple courtyard.

. What ties Christians to the 2nd Temple is the 70 weeks prophecy, "when Messiah shall be "cut off", or crucified. This began with the Decree of Artaxerxes in 457 BC, and 70 weeks (of years) is 70 x 7 = 490 years later, which is actually 34 AD, the date of crucifixion. There is an extra 1 year added because there was no "year zero". So it adds up.

. So the Jews have a "waiting prophecy" which they do not see fulfilled with Jesus, and the Christians have a waiting prophecy which they do not see fulfilled with Muhammad, and they are all waiting, and in the Quran it says:

. "Wait, and We, too, are waiting." ;-)

. Well, the Baha'is aren't waiting, are we?? ;-)

. Soooo, the 3rd Temple is indeed built in Jerusalem, on top of or very near to the 1st and 2nd Temples, and the prophecies are fulfilled.

. However, unless "seekers" are truly open-minded, and willing to consider that Jesus and Muhammad, from a Jewish standpoint, or Muhammad, from a Christian standpoint, then they cannot conceive of the possibility that the prophecies have been fulfilled due to the hindrances of their prejudices.

Last edited:
Dec 2014
United States
From the Christian perspective, Jesus is the third Temple.

"Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up." (John 2:19)

This is obviously a reference to Christ's resurrection.

The Temple had one primary purpose - to offer sacrifice to God. Because Jesus is the final sacrifice there is no need for a new Temple because there is no need for further sacrifice.

Jesus' presence on earth is in his Church where the one final sacrifice is offered "from the setting of the sun to its rising".

Christians, then, are not waiting for the third Temple to be built physically because it already exists in Christ, and to offer any sacrifice other than the one, perfect and final sacrifice of Jesus Christ would be to deny the efficacy that sacrifice.

Peace.

Steve